Got a second Dan Wesson today!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShipWreck

Beretta 92 Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Texas, but from Louisiana
    Got my Duty Black Dan Wesson 1911 Valor VBOB today - REALLY awesome gun.

I passed up an Ed Brown Kobra Karry and an Ed Brown Executive Carry to get the VBOB I really love the stainless Dan Wesson Valor I have already. I think it's my fav 1911 I have ever owned.

The thinner grips are awesome, and I found the checkering on the Valor to be a little more aggressive than the Brown checkering. And, the sights are just like I want them - nothing to change. After getting used to the Straight 8 sights on my other Valor, I prefer them to standard 3 dot sights...

I wanted something black, since both of my 1911s are stainless - and most of the ones I have prev owned have been stainless or hard chromed. This is my very first commander sized 1911 too.

My camera is broken - so, I borrowed one. Couldn't get as good of a shot as I could with my old camera - but this was the best I could do. Still has some oil on it - haven't cleaned it yet...

f3c62c229d7acaedf2d49168050a8c74.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And, my 1st Dan Wesson I have :)

2050d2a1e9ea979d8b938cc32eb6de5d.jpg

And, my mom's camera sucks. Flash is not bright enough. Best I could do:

a0a1ab747805ef6786a64978e427fda8.jpg

ShipWreck

Beretta 92 Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Texas, but from Louisiana
    Ok, just got back from the range and have two of the three 1911s cleaned. Man, stainless models take much longer to clean :p

I had been planning to take the fullsize Valor to the range because I wanted to shoot some JHP thru the gun. I bought some 230gr Hydrashoks. They shot great. I bought some more on the way home - gun will now stay loaded. Debating on whether or not it will be my nightstand gun... It's basically 8 rounds vs 15 rounds of a Beretta 92... Still debating....

The Brown - I had the shakes a bit in my hand the last time I took the Brown out for it's first spin at the range. So, I wanted to shoot it some more today. Put 30 rounds thru it - It shot fantastic. Dead center several times at 15 yards. Pretty good for a guy without the steadiest hands (I get slight tremors in my left hand, and they vary day to day).

Now for the new VBOB. Gun functioned 100%. Had no issues with it. Recoil of it didn't seem to be as much as what my memory told me a Springfield Champion felt like when I shot it about 10 years ago... So, recoil was not bad.

The front sight is a little shorter on the VBOB than it is on the fullsize Valor. Not sure if that is the same for all Commander size 1911s. Anyway, the slightly shorter sight made it a little harder to shoot. I either shot a tiny bit low or high if I didn't take my time aligning the sights. So, in that respect, it's a little slower for me than the govt sized Valor.

It did pretty well with double taps - and when I shot double taps 1 handed, that follow up shot was right next to the first shot. Very impressive.

I do like all three of these 1911s. My fullsize Valor is still my favorite one I've ever owned. This VBOB puts me at eleven 1911s I have previously owned... Working my way up in prices/models over the years. Despite prev having a Brown and a Springfield Custom Shop gun - that stainless Valor is a hell of a lot of money for the gun. :)

Top Bottom