Got me a new Ruger 22/45 Lite

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    As post says, got the gun the other day practically brand new with quite a bit of ammunition. What kind of upgrades is best for that gun. I have been looking online and I am pretty sure I want to go with a Volquartsen trigger kit. Havent been able to find all the different manufacturers out there yet and prices so I wanted to see what you guys were recommending and have done and liked. Im also thinking about putting a compensator on it. It will mainly be a gun for my two girls to learn pistol shooting with, but also for me to train with to save on ammo for the 2011 I shoot. Grip is the same as a 2011, so that is nice. Also, what do yall think about putting the magazine ejectors and extended bolt, barrel, etc.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    IMHO, and for your stated purposes, I think I would leave it stock and use the money for more ammo - unless the trigger and ergonomics are just terrible (which I doubt). I'm picking mine up from my FFL in the morning. The only thing I intend to add is my Sparrow SS can.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I wouldn't sink money into a 22/45 Lite. It's pretty much designed to be a silencer host and that's that.

If you want to build a quality shooting Ruger .22, start with a Mark II and add parts as you see fit.

alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I wouldn't sink money into a 22/45 Lite. It's pretty much designed to be a silencer host and that's that.

If you want to build a quality shooting Ruger .22, start with a Mark II and add parts as you see fit.

I like the 1911 styke grip on the 22/45 lite. Mark II/III grip is a little different.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    If you like the 1911 style grip angle and want to build on a 22/45, go with an older model that has a thicker polymer frame. The new frames are junk, and yes I have one.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    7w6yqvdjagfdnratj8ob.jpg

Here's what happens to a late model 22/45 frame when you aggressively attempt to remove a stubborn upper from the frame.

Bayou Trojan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Hammond
    Ruger has great customer service, call them and tell them what happened and I would be surprised if they didn't replace it for free, even if it's out of warranty.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    What kind of upgrades is best for that gun. I have been looking online and I am pretty sure I want to go with a Volquartsen trigger kit.

Have you even shot the gun yet? If not, how do you know it even needs modification? First change I would make (AFTER trying it out!) would be a Clark Hammer Bushing available from Clark Custom Guns in No. Louisiana for about $20. Comes with a new hammer bushing and pin.

I wouldn't get the VQ kit as folks I know who have used them end up with parts left over. Best and cheaper to get the parts separately IF you need them.

Hammer bushing should get rid of the mag disconnect and possibly lower trigger pull weight to around 3 lbs. (I think it is around 4-5 out the box). But you might not really require a big change if the gun is good outta the box. Do you go get new tires for a new car when you get one? Same thing, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom