Got my first muzzle loader, have a few questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southernz

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Marksville, La
    Hello all,

I recently got my first muzzle loader, a T/C Encore 50x209. I am a bowhunter normally during "Primitive" season and figured I would give the ol' smoking pole a chance. Any way, what kind of powder is popular (The cleaner, the better) ? Pellets or loose powder? How many grains is most people using? Any Sabots I should stay away from? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Stephen.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    the encore barrel twist rate is optimized for saboted bullets.

when i had mine, i just used 2 50gr pellets of 777 and hard cast lead .429 bullets in a .429/.50 tc sabbot. i was getting 2.5" groups "bench" at 100yd, and 4" offhand.

most people prefer using 70-150gr of loose powder to "tune" their gun for best groups.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    The purists will squawk but I use Blackhorn 209 loose powder but shoot a 209x45 so my loads won't be of any help for a 50 cal. I've had a couple T/C 50 cal barrels in the past they all seemed to shoot fine with 2 50gr 777 pellets and Hornady SST's or T/C Shockwaves. If you're shooting loose powder, I'd look for a good load in the 80-100gr range. For deer I don't think there's much reason to go higher than 100grs other than you like punishment.

cookiemonster

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Vidalia, La
    Pellets are way easier and faster. If its a magnum you can shoot up to 150 grs. Don't shoot the silver pointed bullets with a ballistic tip from Walmart. They will not penetrate. I don't remember the name. I had to do a finish shot on a deer at 10 yards and it didn't go all the way through. No blood either.

quigleysharps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Kansas
    Most of the in-liners that I'm reading about are using the Blackhorn 209 or Triple 777 powder these days. Course I've got an Optima here at the house that I sighted in with 80 grs. of 2f Goex and the Lightfield Alpha Gold 300's...that combo has dropped a pile of Oklahoma deer for my buddy that was borrowing it each year.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I will never use the three I have; ever again. Pain in the a** to clean, find primers, etc...I will keep them for nostalgia, I guess! :doh:

Can't beat the breach loaders!
    4570.jpg

Top Bottom