Got rid of my Jeep

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Doubt it's faster, but if you've just got it to be cool, this is about as cool as it gets.

engine.jpg

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    i would never buy a jeep for a DD again. i have had around 13 jeeps 3 XJs, 5 YJs, 2 TJs, 1 JKs, 1 J20. 1 CJ5, had my first YJ for 11 years snd my first TJ 03 to today yes they have had there problems but none were DD for very long but the first 92 YJ that i got in Hawaii.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    To me a jeep is not just a vehicle. It's a brand of lifestyle. It's a group of friends even if you haven't even met outside of the trails. It's the willingness to drop everything and go help out another jeep owner who needs help. At least for the most part with real "jeepers". Perfect example was the charity event we held this weekend for the Disposable Hero's Project. Dozens and dozens of jeeps and jeep owners got together and raised a lot of money for the charity. I don't see too many Mazda clubs doing things like this.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    That Cherokee is no more of a Jeep than a Focus is a Mustang. When people say "JEEP" no one thinks of the Patriot, Compass, or Commander. They think of a Wrangler. As many have said, they are a lifestyle brand, and it it goes that way with several things. People buy a Honda CR-V because they want fuel mileage, reliability and a dependable mode of transportation. These same people are the ones who look at the top of Consumer Reports most reliable, and go buy that. It is transportation to them. A Wrangler to a real Jeep owner isn't just transportation. It is a statement, a hobby, and a lifestyle. You put up with the headache for the pleasure.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To me a jeep is not just a vehicle. It's a brand of lifestyle. It's a group of friends even if you haven't even met outside of the trails. It's the willingness to drop everything and go help out another jeep owner who needs help. At least for the most part with real "jeepers". Perfect example was the charity event we held this weekend for the Disposable Hero's Project. Dozens and dozens of jeeps and jeep owners got together and raised a lot of money for the charity. I don't see too many Mazda clubs doing things like this.

We had a great time out there, btw. Nice family event, and the obstacle course was really fun, especially after the rain!

Thanks for the heads up on the event!

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    We had a great time out there, btw. Nice family event, and the obstacle course was really fun, especially after the rain!

Thanks for the heads up on the event!

For sure. We put a lot of time and work into that course. The rain did wash it out a good bit, but it just made it a little more interesting. What rig were you in? I was on the dirt articulation section all day right before the last hill.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

I wanted transportation. Not a ticket to some sort of support group.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Loving it so far!

0-60 (not a rocket, but not bad for a 4-banger 4-door AWD SUV!):

Also, my first complete fill-up the other day, I calculated 25.7mpg. Not shabby for probably half city driving, short trips, and a few longer drives without paying much attention to how hard I press the skinny pedal!

Windows tinted, as well.
    2lmqwyx.jpg

Made a good decision!
    2j287rq.jpg

So far it's been very cheap to own! I replaced the tires with new Continental Cross Contact LX20's (Came with Yokohama Geolander G91's on it. I think they failed to rotate them, as one was literally brand new, and one was nearly bald, and 3 of them had dry-rot. Maybe they put old tires on to trade it in? I dunno). The LX20's ride great! Cost me $700ish mounted, balanced, and aligned. Changed the oil ($70) using Mazda's "Moly" additive full synthetic. Changed the diff fluid ($63 total with a coupon from the service dept.). Tinted the windows ($150) with ceramic tint.

My Jeep was $175 for the diff(s), $900 for tires mounted/balanced/aligned, and $80-90 for an oil change if i bought the oil myself, $120 if I didn't.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    2.5 year update.

The CX5 has been stellar and I plan to continue to own it. The only things that have broken from 28K to the current 69,5XX miles are the rear diff, and the front rotors seem warped. To be fair, my 370Z, and Jeep Grand Cherokee also had this issue. It happens when they rotate tires and torque the lug nuts improperly. The rear diff was caused by fjording a driveway with water flowing over it, and there was a dip and the underbody smacked the surface of the water, and "sucked" water up when it lifted, and flooded the rear diff. I was unaware it had flooded, and it lasted about 2 months before the AWD light illuminated. Mazda replaced it at no cost to me.

I have gone through 2 windshields though, this 3rd one is Safelite's house glass, and it has held up MUCH BETTER than the last 2 OEM's. It just pocks instead of shattering.

Mileage averages 24-27 during my daily commute, depending on how I drive, 26-28 for road-trips at 75mph.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I had always wanted a jeep but it wouldn't pull my camper. I ended up with an 08 xterra. That was a fun vehicle. The offroad capability of a jeep, more power, and fairly quick as a daily driver. I recently retired it for a Frontier. I like my truck but miss my Xterra...

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I had always wanted a jeep but it wouldn't pull my camper. I ended up with an 08 xterra. That was a fun vehicle. The offroad capability of a jeep, more power, and fairly quick as a daily driver. I recently retired it for a Frontier. I like my truck but miss my Xterra...

My jeep was rated at 7400# towing. 0-60 in 6.5ish. Handled well with bilsteins on it. I loved it, but she break...all da time.

Top Bottom