Graduation Present For Son

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    My son Zach, is graduating Haynes Academy Saturday night.

I've thought about the whole $$$ thing but, would like other opinions - suggestions.
    He's leaving Haynes with above a 4.0, yes I'M VERY PROUND OF HIM.

Any idea's???

Thanks guy's!!!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Not to get personal but do you have a budget in mind?
    I got some cash after graduation, I paid my truck insurance for 6 months and there wasnt much left but I'm sure I blew it. And now its Long gone.
    Get something he can hang on to for a while(firearm, nice watch ect) or help him make a memory that will last a lifetime(epic hunting or fishing trip, a weekend at knob creek). Just depends on his interest and your budget.
    Best of luck and congrats to him.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Wow, 4.0... Congrats. Maybe take a defensive pistol class with him, and perhaps a pistol gift? Hunting trip somewhere with you and him?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My son Zach, is graduating Haynes Academy Saturday night.

I've thought about the whole $$$ thing but, would like other opinions - suggestions.
    He's leaving Haynes with above a 4.0, yes I'M VERY PROUND OF HIM.

Any idea's???

Thanks guy's!!!
    I would ask him what he wants and go from there. If you don't really want to do that, I second the nice watch / nice pistol idea. I don't know if he has any plans on going to college or such, but if he does and y'all have any questions about any of that stuff, feel free to PM me as I went through all of it a few years ago (and am still at LSU!).

And many congrats on a 4.0 If I remember correctly, Haynes Academy is a magnet / honors type school, so that 4.0 means even more! Go him!

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    He's been hunting, fishing and target shooting with me many of times.
    Yes there is a budget, but memories are far better.

He has a car and a few firearms from me.

As long as he's in College the insurance is on me.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Well, for graduation, I think I got my first rent notice and the opportunity to buy the old family car if I could fix the brakes. Then again, I was well below a 4.0. What does he need? Tool set? New computer? Is he going to college? maybe he needs a really nice bike or something.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    UNO - Pharmaceutical

I would ask him what he wants and go from there. If you don't really want to do that, I second the nice watch / nice pistol idea. I don't know if he has any plans on going to college or such, but if he does and y'all have any questions about any of that stuff, feel free to PM me as I went through all of it a few years ago (and am still at LSU!).

And many congrats on a 4.0 If I remember correctly, Haynes Academy is a magnet / honors type school, so that 4.0 means even more! Go him!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    UNO - Pharmaceutical

That's awesome! I really like the nice watch idea. A good watch can last practically forever and is very practical. Another option is a new laptop for college (or an iPad).

My best advice for incoming freshmen, by the way, is to NOT buy the books the professor lists on the syllabus until at least one week into class and you can determine if you will actually need them. Many professors are obligated to list a bunch of stuff that you will never use and will essentially waste your money on. I have saved over $400 bucks a semester a few times from this method.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My dad bought me a gold/diamond ring for my highschool graduation. He wanted to give me the one his dad gave him but it was destroyed in a house fire years ago. While I'm grateful for it I'm just not much of a ring guy so it never gets worn. Something that will last is MUCH better than money though IMO. I'm not sure if he carries knives at all but it's hard to beat a nice pocket knife from a dad/grandpa. You could get a decent Case knife for $45-$90 or splurge for a handmade one of a kind slip joint and spend up to $500.

Last edited:

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    That's awesome! I really like the nice watch idea. A good watch can last practically forever and is very practical. Another option is a new laptop for college (or an iPad).

My best advice for incoming freshmen, by the way, is to NOT buy the books the professor lists on the syllabus until at least one week into class and you can determine if you will actually need them. Many professors are obligated to list a bunch of stuff that you will never use and will essentially waste your money on. I have saved over $400 bucks a semester a few times from this method.

I'll echo this. Do NOT buy the books right off the bat. Make sure you need them first. Then shop around on amazon and upperclassmen to see if they want to sell theirs. Avoid the campus bookstore at all costs!

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Does he hunt? My dad got me a BAR for high school graduation, as I was deer hunting a lot at the time. Perhaps a Benelli or Beretta if he duck hunts. Those type of guns are the ones you keep forever and pass on to future family members.

I don't have any sons, but I am hopeful for a grandson(s) one day to pass my BAR and Benelli's on to.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    High School Graduates are capable of understanding sincere gifts. Surely your son is.

It's the biggest most difficult accomplishment so far in his life.

...and it sounds like he just SMOKED IT!

So.....MAKE IT COUNT DAD!

Leave no doubt in his mind that his hard work will be rewarded properly.

You said he's got some guns (from) you,
    what about -his- (Dream) gun?? If possible of course.

What are his interest? Weight lifter? Specific Sport? Billiards?
    Fishing? South American Peacock Bass Trip? :D Ok that might be my own dream coming out there :mamoru:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Hitman; said:
    Fishing? South American Peacock Bass Trip? :D Ok that might be my own dream coming out there :mamoru:

Call me when you book it brother!

But the ghetto version is available in south Florida.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Hunting trip in Alaska, go for the big bears, bring a nice Winchester 94 as most areas they are close in.... Have always wanted to go there myself and get some good hunting...

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    For my graduation my parents gave me cash which I really appreciated for the whole two weeks that an eighteen year old can hang on to money. My very wise and sainted grandfather gave me 1000.00 worth of PepsiCo stock which I've appreciated every year since graduation. It's worth 8600.00 now and has paid a dividend every year.
    Food for thought..

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Knife idea is grand.
    Found one my dad bought me when I was 15 and now I will pass down.

Will post pic's tomorrow, It's ugly now - Old Schrade.

Thanks guys!!!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My dad got me a 500.00 account started at Ameritrade and included a couple of "intro to investing" books.

His gift taught me a lot, and is worth near 5 digits today.

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    If he doesn't already have it a lifetime hunting / fishing license.

A nice starter set of quality hand tools.

I got tools from my parents 30+ years ago. Still have most of them.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Does he hunt? My dad got me a BAR for high school graduation, as I was deer hunting a lot at the time. Perhaps a Benelli or Beretta if he duck hunts. Those type of guns are the ones you keep forever and pass on to future family members.

I don't have any sons, but I am hopeful for a grandson(s) one day to pass my BAR and Benelli's on to.

Grandpa? Is that you? LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom