Grampa's Shotgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    I was just handed down my dads shotgun. Its not in great shape, spent the last 20 years behind the seat of a pickup truck. Its a Winchester Model 37. I spent an hour looking for the serial number on it, then finally google'd it and found that I'm not the only one who couldn't find the serial number because there isn't one.
    winchester37.JPG

There is a lot of surface rust on the gun. If there ever was any blueing on it its gone now. I want to clean it up a bit just to preserve it. Has anyone worked on one of these before? Im tempted to pull out some steel wool and clean it up, but figured I would ask here first in case that is the wrong way to go about cleaning it up.

Its not a valuable gun so I don't want to go putting a bunch of money into it. My main goal is just to keep it from getting worse.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Go to your nearest Napa and get some kroil. scrub the gun with 0000 or better yet brass wool while liberally lubricated with the kroil. the combo will eat the rust but leave the patina alone.

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    just don't soak it in oil with the stock on it. oil will surely crack that dry old stock. +1 on the kroil... mabye use some mothers mag to polish it out after for a mirror shine.

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    Thanks for the tips. The local Napa store didn't have Kroil. When the guy on the floor asked the guy behind the counter he commented "That's the stuff people used to use to clean up guns" He added that he hasn't seen it for years at Napa. So I'm using WD-40 Rust Release spray and 0000 steel wool. 2 hours of scrubbing and its looking better. Its going to take a lot of work to get this thing shiny.

I pulled the stock off and sprayed the metal parts down with the Rust Release. Letting it sit overnight and working more on it tomorrow.

The mechanics of this gun are so simple it makes a revolver look complicated. It even has some variant of a firing pin lockout for safety but done in the most simple way ive seen. I like the no nonsense approach of this old gun.

Last edited:

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    You might check some of the welding supply places for Kroil.
    TNT in Hammond has it on the shelf in spray and liquid can form.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    A few thoughts, and btw I understand sentimental firearms, the metal finish is shot as is the wood finish. How far do you want to go with this gun?

First, the wood, I would suggest stripping it with stripeeze and applying a oil finish that would "feed" the wood somewhat and preserve it. The tung oil finish will be a rather flat low luster that would fit the age and use that this gun has had. Next, the metal; you really have several low cost options for a finish ranging from cold bluing to spray-n-bake finishes that will preserve the metal and help prevent rust. For a few bucks more you can have the metal parkerized and the most expensive option is to have it professionally blued (about 125.00 I would guess). Look at Brownells catalog, there are options for metal finishes in a range of appearances that would fit this gun.
    I would believe that your dad would be happy to have the gun restored to presentable condition if he kept it with him for all those years.

Have fun and good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom