Great letter to the editor, Ronnie, The Bill Passed the House

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    One of our forum members has, once again, knocked it out of the park in response to a morons letter to the Advocate. This one concerning the weapons in church bill, HB68.

Great job Ronnie!!

The morons letter. http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/92835014.html

Ronnie's response.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/93173209.html

Letter: Reader backs guns-in-church bill

RE: Response to letter from Mr. Paul Spillman: “Guns not appropriate for church,” published May 5.

In his letter regarding HB68 concerning weapons in churches, introduced by Rep. Henry Burns, R-Haughton, Mr. Spillman expresses “disbelief” that anyone would consider allowing guns in churches.

I respectfully submit that there is nothing shocking or improper about enabling churches to enhance their own security as this bill does.

Perhaps he will concur that churches are sacred and sacrosanct places of worship and devotion to our Creator. Not everyone agrees with that. To criminals who ignore laws against carrying concealed weapons, robbery, rape and murder, churches are simply a target-rich cash collection source, or worse, victim disarmament zones like Columbine or Virginia Tech.

I refer specifically to the Dec. 9, 2007, shootings at the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colo. A “security guard,” who was actually a member of the congregation with a concealed-carry weapon permit engaged as an element of the church’s security team, shot and stopped the murderer with her own concealed handgun.

As for his contention that “… this bill is misguided and misinformed … ,” I would suggest he Google “church shootings.” He will probably be surprised at what he finds.

In answer to his question, “Is there even one single piece of evidence to demonstrate this [more guns equal less crime] as fact?” the answer is most emphatically YES!

This site, among many others, http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvsupp.html directly supports that assertion. They show that gun supply increases do not result in an increase in homicides or crime.

“More Guns, Less Crime’ by John R. Lott and the several titles one can find at this site (http://www.librarything.com/work/7680) also support the more guns, less crime paradigm.

Jesus admonished his disciples in Luke 22:36 “ … if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” Furthermore, do you think that Jesus only allowed Peter to carry a sword in the garden at Gethsemane and nowhere else?

Given the murderous hostility toward Jesus in some quarters, it seems entirely appropriate that Peter would be carrying the equivalent of a modern concealed handgun most of the time.

It appears to me, from those teachings and others, that the use of deadly force is entirely appropriate in self-defense. We are not morally obligated to submit to assault, robbery, rape or murder without resistance, including armed resistance.

In conclusion, why should the state engage in regulating weapons on private property in any event? It is the preference of property owners regarding the presence of weapons, concealed or otherwise, on their property. It is not the government’s business.

Stay well, stay safe, stay armed.

Ronald A. Domingue
    financial manager
    Lafayette

Art

Last edited:

meisal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 30, 2007
    Benton, LA
    Great job!

As a Pastor I am greatly concerned about the security of those atteding my church.
    Our doors are open to everyone and somethimes some that come in cause you to keep extra eyes on them.
    Besides members my family is there including my granddaughter which I will protect with my life.

Everyone please call the politicians and encourage them to support this bill.

Also encourage LSA to support this bill as they have chosen to be neutral. :confused:

7.62mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    HB 68 - Guns in Churches Bill - Letter to Editor

Many thanks to all of you for your kind words and support. (Yea, you too, Jim and Ben! LOL!) :p Much appreciate.

Call your reps and ask them to support it. Even the modified version is still a good one.

Also, send an email to Dan Zelenka, President of the LSA (dzelenka@louisianashooting.com) and ask him why the LSA is "Netural" on this bill.

Best regards, see you at the range!

7.62mm

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Great job!

As a Pastor I am greatly concerned about the security of those atteding my church.
    Our doors are open to everyone and somethimes some that come in cause you to keep extra eyes on them.
    Besides members my family is there including my granddaughter which I will protect with my life.

Everyone please call the politicians and encourage them to support this bill.

Also encourage LSA to support this bill as they have chosen to be neutral. :confused:

LSA is neutral ??? Hunh ?? Hadn't herd this

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    This bill has already failed to pass one floor vote, but it is up for reconsideration on Wednesday.

Was there a vote? I thought the man speaking willingly postponed it. He was being barraged with questions:

How do you define who is in charge of the church?
    What happens in the case leadership changes?
    What if the church is also a school campus?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom