Grip tape or stipple? Opinions please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Alright guys got my GLOCK 17 and it is a bit used and the grip is worn smooth in a few places. My question is does anyone use the grip tape and how does it work?
    What would be better a stipple job or some grip tape... Kinda worried about stippling a frame and then decide I don't like it.
    I am looking at the raptor grips (sand)
    http://www.rockyourglock.com/mm5/me...&Product_Code=RYG-RPTBLK&Category_Code=Raptor
    Or the
    Decal grips (sand)
    http://www.rockyourglock.com/mm5/me...ct_Code=DG-G17FGSBF2&Category_Code=DecalGrips
    Any comments, positive or negative is appreciated. Thanks.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have talon grip on my G27. its the rubberized because i carry it and it works for me. Use a blowdryer to heat the adhesive when you put it on mines held up for about a year and a half so far

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Awesome thanks man! I'm debating on which grip I want. They are both sand. One pre-cut with pieces to go in certain places.
    The other covers the entire bottom grip like a wrap.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Grip tape. The "stipple" on a GLOCK looks like someone vandalized a handgun to me. Plus I've handle some stipple jobs. They made too slip free of a grip for me.

Dave

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Are you carrying this thing concealed (or at all)?

Grip tape will ruff up your clothes (and your skin, if you're a sissy) worse than your average stipple job. It'll almost certainly cause more loss of its grippy texture that way than by you shooting it. A daily carry gun takes an invisible beating-- your body oil and sweat alone will work against the tape itself.

Stippling never wears out, and unless you do something razor-blade aggressive, it's not going to be as troublesome to tote. The downsides of course are that you may screw it up (self-job), may end up not liking the gun and potentially having trouble selling it (doubtful-- stippling is the new "in" thing it seems), or may not get as much grip you'd like or could have gotten from grip tape.

Depending on your grip strength, it's possible that stippling will provide better grip in extremely adverse conditions than the tape-- but the tape will offer better day-to-day traction. That's all subjective of course; most people aren't gripping the gun properly in the first place, so it's really not so much of a concern...

Long story short-- you've got the pro's and con's for the most part and should decide on your own. Buy some grip tape and try it out for a while; you can always peel it, strip off the goo, and stipple afterwards.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    My stipple jobs are WAY more aggressive than grip tape. I have to hit them with a sanding sponge if I carry it as a EDC piece. You can get varying degrees of "grippiness" with a stipple if you know what you're doing.

Oh, and a good stipple job will increase the value a Lot. I had a 23 that I did a grip re-work and stipple job on. When I decided I didn't like compact glocks, I sold it. Almost wish I didn't now.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks Sin-ster, that is a lot of helpful information. I think instead of ordering the stuff online for guns I found some stuff called grizzly grip tape ( the stuff they put on the deck of a skateboard). They sell it at Rukus shop supposedly and I think it will hold up well. I mean it sees abuse all the time on the top of a skateboard and the reviews say it holds up great.
    If i do not like it I am going to try the stipple maybe I can find one done from on here and see if I like it. Then I have to find out what parts I would like to stipple and what type of stipple job I want and which attachment I need to obtain it.
    Thanks Matt if I choose to go the stipple route I will indeed come to you with some questions.
    NOTE: My carry piece is my new G19.
    The grip work is going on my "truck" gun which is just a gun I will shoot a good bit go where my CC doesnt need to go, such as on a hunting trip etc.
    Oh and to anyone that reads this and has stippled their gun post a picture up if you have the time. I would greatly appreciate it.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Both gen 3 Glock 19. I sanded the finger grooves off and took some off the back of the grip.

My first
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357920317.751287.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357920328.950745.jpg

One I started on this week not finished yet
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357920381.367084.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357920407.200101.jpg

Edit: I finished the second one for a fellow bs member.
    ejajamuj.jpg

e9ydy9ab.jpg

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks guys!!!
    Speed I really like how that 17 is done I would like to go a little higher thought at least the where that thumb roll is.
    If that "sand paper" doesnt work out for me I will go this route.
    Speed what did you use to do it like that? just a wood burning kit or something?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks guys!!!
    Speed I really like how that 17 is done I would like to go a little higher thought at least the where that thumb roll is.
    If that "sand paper" doesnt work out for me I will go this route.
    Speed what did you use to do it like that? just a wood burning kit or something?

I go higher on some. For my carry guns it's a balance between grip and carry comfort.

Wood burning kit, custom tips.

anepymas.jpg

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Tearing up a gun frame with a Dremel tool, oops sorry, I mean stippling increases value? Hmm. I guess I'll get after my 1915 DWM all matching P08 Luger tonight to see how much more I can make it worth. :)

Dave

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Tearing up a gun frame with a Dremel tool, oops sorry, I mean stippling increases value? Hmm. I guess I'll get after my 1915 DWM all matching P08 Luger tonight to see how much more I can make it worth. :)

Dave

Many people who use their guns like to have them stippled. A good stippling job costs money. Value added.

Now a bad stippling job...

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Many people who use their guns like to have them stippled. A good stippling job costs money. Value added.

Now a bad stippling job...

It's your private property. Therefore do whatever you want with it. And it's only $500 handguns that you're doing it too. I also understand that since everyone owns a GLOCK and they are as individual as microwave ovens. That there is a desire to make it custom and different from every other GLOCK. It's an understandable human emotion. People used to put custom grips on handguns to achieve the same effect.

But I honestly believe that in 20 years people will be making fun of the stippling trend currently on going when they see "modified" frames.

From my perspective you've permanently changed a handgun to fit your preferences. Other's who might not want that individual preference wouldn't pay more for one.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom