Growing Banana Plants

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Happy Fathersday Weekend

Just wonder does anyone grow edible Banana plants here in South Louisiana south of I10 succesfully?

I have a few planted but none yet to flower and produce bananas.

I'd like to get tips on which type you have had good luck with on obtaining fruit.

Please be specific on names, source of your plants, if you don't mind...Thanks in advance
    S.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I don't think the growing season is long enough. Call you parish extension service. They can give you specific info about your area.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have had some for 3 years and have yet to see fruit. I also lived at a house for 3 years once that had them, those produced fruit once only. Once every 3 years is about the best you can hope to see here

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I think our season pretty much limits them to being ornamental. ours made small fruit a couple times at the end of the summer but it tasted horrible. we have a couple blooms already this year but I doubt we'll ever see any acceptable fruit. all the pics of commercial plants I've seen have shown really tall plants. mine have never gotten that big. I know there was an article in the paper a few years ago about a guy in Brusly that was successful with them.

Banana-Plantations2.jpg

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    My father in law gets a bunch about every two years. The bananas are only about 3 inches long and some years they are sweet and good and some years they are horrible. We had banana trees (grew in from the neighbors yard and i finally got tired of them and dug them up) for about 4 years and in that time, they only grew 1 bunch and the tree collapsed under the weight and the bananas were worthless.

My current feelings on banana trees:

2029-kill-it-with-fire.jpg

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Happy Fathersday Weekend

Just wonder does anyone grow edible Banana plants here in South Louisiana south of I10 succesfully?

I have a few planted but none yet to flower and produce bananas.

I'd like to get tips on which type you have had good luck with on obtaining fruit.

Please be specific on names, source of your plants, if you don't mind...Thanks in advance
    S.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2053650_grow-banana-trees.html

Be sure you buy a fruiting plant and not an ornamental.

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Go with Lemon, Grape Fruit, Satsuma, Kumquat, Pear, Figs, Blueberry, Blackberry, and Muscadine for perennial fruiting plants.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Thanks Sir

Go with Lemon, Grape Fruit, Satsuma, Kumquat, Pear, Figs, Blueberry, Blackberry, and Muscadine for perennial fruiting plants.

I hear you Sir

Thanks for the reply, I'm already growing all of the above plus Avacado Trees, Kiwi, Figs, Apples, and an Olive Tree

I'm just trying to see if I can grow bananas succesfully here and was hoping to get feedback from those who have and get some growing, tips as well as type of bananas they were growing.

I have 7 planted already just curious of what to expect:}

4565020.JPG
    [/URL]Adult Image Hosting[/IMG]

7849022.JPG

5274023.JPG

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Years ago I was on a job in New Orleans. There was a huge banana tree in the back yard, with decent fruit. The owner said it was about 10 years before the plant was mature (big) enough to bear properly. Other than that I have no personal experience.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    $.49 a pound, available year round....

I have some with fruit on them now, but they never get big enough to eat. They do however don't die in the winter like most banana plants, they survive year round, I just keep them up because they help cover some of my neighbors ugly ass crap in his backyard.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    $.49 a pound, available year round....

I have some with fruit on them now, but they never get big enough to eat. They do however don't die in the winter like most banana plants, they survive year round, I just keep them up because they help cover some of my neighbors ugly ass crap in his backyard.

Cool what variety/name plant is it Sir?

Got pictures by chance?

I just won't to see if I can grow them....Should I be able to will just use them to feed my worms in the worm bed:}

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I hear you Sir

Thanks for the reply, I'm already growing all of the above plus Avacado Trees, Kiwi, Figs, Apples, and an Olive Tree

I'm just trying to see if I can grow bananas succesfully here and was hoping to get feedback from those who have and get some growing, tips as well as type of bananas they were growing.

I have 7 planted already just curious of what to expect:}

No prob chief. My father works for the BREC Arboretum and we were discussing Banana plants recently and he said the only bananas they would get would only be a couple of inches long and wouldn't ripen. As said, the season doesn't last long enough to produce them here. Maybe you could do it in a greenhouse?

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Yes Sir

I have a couple of dwarf varieties planted in large pots that I plan on moving indoors if I have to:}

Going to give it my best shot lol

Again thanks for your info:}

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    I'm sure this is useless information, but this might lend hope. :dunno: My aunt who lives in donaldsonville has several banana trees that are like 8ft tall and she said they've had bananas from them. I cannot tell you type, size, taste, color, etc. etc. I want to say she told us about them bearing fruit 2-3 years ago. She trans-planted them from her daughter's place in 2004 or 2005 before katrina hit. The transplants were about 3 feet tall. We haven't been to my aunt's house in at least one and a half years so I don't know how tall they are now or if they're fruiting. The rest of their garden is quite bountiful.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Thank you Mr. Howard for your reply

That gives me hope that I can produce bananas here in Lizard Creek.

Have a Great Weekend:} This is one variety I have planted...however; from what I'm hearing you don't always get what you purchase/expect lol Kinda like a paternity test here in Lizard Creek

wjoj2brc4vtkvcetthm.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mike933
    Top Bottom