Grunting Deer!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I know you all love a good deer story so here's one from last night.

I climb my tree to my usual 25-30 feet at 3:30 yesterday. Wind was howling! I felt like I was on a carnival ride. I wait 10 minutes for everything to settle down, and blow 3 shorts grunts. 3 minutes later this guy below bee lines straight to me.
    1-3-2014005_zpsd53e9108.jpg

After he arrives he stays at the base of my tree for about 10 minutes, sniffing around and looking! He is sure he heard another buck! He was determined to find him! And so he did!
    1-3-2014006_zps5466d46a.jpg

It was classic! It was beautiful to watch!

Here is your tip for the experience: NEVER underestimate a deer's sense of hearing and auditory locating ability! Out of dozens of trees within a 20 yard perimeter; he zeroed in on my exact tree!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I know you all love a good deer story so here's one from last night.

I climb my tree to my usual 25-30 feet at 3:30 yesterday. Wind was howling! I felt like I was on a carnival ride. I wait 10 minutes for everything to settle down, and blow 3 shorts grunts. 3 minutes later this guy below bee lines straight to me.
    1-3-2014005_zpsd53e9108.jpg

After he arrives he stays at the base of my tree for about 10 minutes, sniffing around and looking! He is sure he heard another buck! He was determined to find him! And so he did!
    1-3-2014006_zps5466d46a.jpg

It was classic! It was beautiful to watch!

Here is your tip for the experience: NEVER underestimate a deer's sense of hearing and auditory locating ability! Out of dozens of trees within a 20 yard perimeter; he zeroed in on my exact tree!

Did you at least climb down and fistfight him? :dogkeke:

:D That's pretty damned cool. They really are some amazing critters....

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    He'll probably slip up this weekend....:x:

They are close! It looks like the whole state is going to bust loose in the next few days!

Our does are really in lockdown! We haven't seen any for two weeks. :eek3:

Deer Rape Fest 2014 is going to be interesting!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm still trying to get my first deer EVER and you've got a surplus, just ain't fair!

I'll have you know, I didn't even see a live deer till after about 5 years of running all over the state's mgt areas looking for them.

Hang in there! Don't stop trying and learning. It's gonna happen for you! ;)

Now that is predicated on whether you actually have deer where you hunt. :mamoru: That makes it challenging!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    We're just outside of McComb, only 80 acres but has good forage, and the neighboring properties are grown up like crazy with good bedding. Our cameras have a good many does, just haven't seen them from the stands yet in about 5 trips this year. It's hard working rotating shifts, only have every-other weekend to go out.

This weekend is our last shot unless I can take time off later in the month before the season is out. This is only my second year hunting, and I have a great time just getting out in the woods, but it'll be nice to have something to show for all the work and money!

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well, best of luck to you guys. I'm fixing to head yonder way and give it a whirl, next week. Cousin tells me it looks like a rodeo took place around my stand- so I guess we'll see what happens....:dogkeke:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    My dad got this guy today. He climbed down in his climber and packed all up. 5'minutes after getting down a big boy ran by. He couldn't shoot another buck so he let it go. he said that one and he said he never checked up. Then while waiting on my cousin to bring the Atv to haul it out another buck came by trailing 100yards behind a doe. About the size of this one. This is all public land in liberty. We barely see three racked deer that are shooters a year much less one hunt. They are crazy up there right now.

e7ajerat.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Maybe he figured those does have been evolving and learned how to climb trees. Women and their tricks! It's weird, but when a deer spots me and stares at me like that I just can't shoot. I get out stared every time. He wins.

I had a bad experience Sat morning. Crept out to my stand before sunrise on my own property and almost fell into a gut pile in the middle of my trail. Some a--hole killed a deer trespassing, and on top of it all pulled just the backstraps and left the rest to rot. Really gets under my skin. Just a yearling doe to boot. It's depressing the level of respect I see around me these days. Turned around and went home.

Top Bottom