GSSF match questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chbrow10

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I am a USPSA and Steel Challenge competitor thinking about attending a GSSF match. It appears that unless you want to shoot in unlimited, you need a bone stock Glock pistol, recoil spring assembly, trigger, etc. You can have a disconnector as long as it is a Glock brand. Do I have that right?

It also appears that there is no drawing from a holster? Are the guns bagged after every COF? This would make it really easy to share guns. Is sharing guns prohibited?

The rules seem to poo-poo on reloaded ammunition, but don't specifically prohibit it, right?

Thanks!

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    All firing is done from low ready. A weapon can either be bagged or carried in a holster. If carried in a holster, the slide needs to locked open. I have worked three matches and they never checked ammo. The thing I like about the match is that they bring an armorer with them. If you have a problem, he will fix it.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have shot 2 GSSF matches. Yes on the bone stock question. You can basically put anything on the pistol Glock offers. ie I have an G34 extended slide stop on my 17 which is cool.

They are fun, but different not shooting from a holster. It felt odd to me coming up on target from low ready as I'm not used to it. Strange that just cutting out part of the draw motion makes things feel weird.

Go slow and get hits. Misses hurt in the scoring.

chbrow10

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Good info guys, thanks.

Jack, the way I read the rules, aftermarket sights are okay, as long as it isn't a red dot. It appears there is an "unlimited" division where anything goes.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You will be fine with aftermarket standard type sights. Red dots will go in unlimited, as do comps. As far as ammo, reloaded ammo is fine. I have attended three Glock matches in Thibodaux and shot all of them with reloaded ammo. Glock recommends factory, but it is not required.

All I have replaced on my guns used in GSSF are the sights and connectors. I polished the stock trigger components and installed Glock 3.5# connectors. I use a G22 for civilian and competition, and a G21 for heavy metal.

JEG

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    The outdoor matches in Thibidaux and Mobile are more fun/ involved.
    Indoor matches are fairly basic though all GSSF matches give away random prizes including guns. Good way to break into competitive shooting.

Top Bottom