Guitar Lessons

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't know about Houma, but I would advise you to do the following if you are completely new at this:

1. Get a simple chord book.
    2. Practice the standard and minor chords.
    3. Learn barre chords in the 1st and 2nd positions

Practice changing between two chords back and fourth while strumming a steady simple rhythm. Then add another chord, then another and so on. Change up the pattern. (If you start with G, C, and D. You'll be able to play tons of songs).

There is a big hump of muscle memorization that a newbie guitar player has to get over to progress and it's probably what turns most people off from playing.

After you got that, add 7th chords and the minor pentatonic scale and you can really do a lot.

If you get started with this, you will be able to get much more for your money when you do find someone to take lessons from.

All IMO.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    + some more to learn a bunch of basics and muscle control stuff before you buy lessons

Mr BBQ gots this one rite

I learned guitar from Ms Dawg who is a by ear piano player then I started bass...I am a confused soul living a tortured musical life between Jason Crabb and Chris LeDoux

Moral of Story:

Use a GUITAR teacher...LOL..when you get one
    and make your sound individual, just like your favorite musician :biglaugh:

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I'm self taught and I can admit that I self taught myself some finger positions for chords that have I've had to relearn. There is a benefit to doing it right. Video and or web lessons a much better that just a book or chart.
    Get an introduction lesson, and let the instructor know you want to learn basics and transition to a self directed program. Learn three chords and find a few songs with those chords. Play them over and over until you can change between chords easily without looking at your fingers. Then keep Adding songs and chords.
    Start with G, D, A, E, C, F, Em, Bm.
    If you can play those you can play most songs

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Back when I first started learning guitar, I wish there was You Tube and the internet to help me. I agree about ditching the lessons, just get some books and look at some videos online.

After nearly 20 years of playing, I'm still trying to learn new stuff.

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone know where I can take guitar lessons in Houma

If your at all near NOLA - Look up Joe O'Day.
    Joe played live in a Duo at Pat O'Brians for years. ( he still may )

He's one of the best guitarist I know. We grew up together up in Ohio and taught me to play well enough to start a band in the mid 60's.

Damn, I'm aging as I type this...

TK

Top Bottom