Gun Buy Back Discussion- Need your opinion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SuperFresh642

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Yesterday, a story ran in the Baton Rouge Business Report stating that there would be a gun buy back program going on in Baton Rouge this Satruday. For those of you who missed the story, here it is.

"Fuel for firearms: The city-parish and Circle K are partnering on a gas-for-guns exchange program on Saturday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Living Faith Christian Center, 6375 Winbourne Ave. Under the "no questions asked" program, officials will offer gas gift cards valued from $50 to $300 for each qualifying handgun and assault weapon turned in by the public. The program is limited to two gift cards per person, but no guns or ammunition will be turned away for those wishing to safely dispose of it. Get the complete event details."

I brought it up to a friend that we should go out and see if there was anyone in line looking to sell a gun that we would possibly want to buy instead. For example, lets say someone was planning to turn in a rifle to the police for $200, and we offered them $250 instead. My friend, erring on the side of caution, said this was a terrible idea and we would be more than likely asked to leave or even arrested.

My question is would there be anything against doing this? I have heard of it going on in other states, and it seems perfectly legal in Baton Rouge. I would like to hear your thoughts, or especially any LEO's thoughts or opinions on this.

Thanks,
    Andrew

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Go for it. There have been a couple successful "counter-gun buy backs". The only thing that may get you in a jam is stolen firearms, or ones with obliterated serial numbers. http://seattletimes.com/html/northwestvoices/2020260203_westneat-lets31.html

Do you know if these guns they're "buying back" will be ran through NCIC, and returned to the rightful owner if stolen, or are they going off to the smelter?

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I sure as Hell wish I had the extra funds, becuase I would be all in on this. I would definitely check for missing serial numbers though. As far as the possible stolen firearm, I think I would take my chances. You don't get a return without some form of risk. Let us know the outcome if you do decide to do it.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I hear about this happening all the time at these programs. It turns into a public gun show. I'll be heading there with cash in my pocket, you never know what you'll find. This is how my brother got his first 1911 actually. Offered a lady 250 at a buyback in St Louis when it was "100.00 visa gift card for any firearm"- its a colt 1911 government .45

And no, they cannot arrest you for offering to purchase another persons private property, but if you are on their property you can be asked to leave or be in violation of trespassing. Stand across street with a sign "Paying MORE for your guns". and as posted above- avoid guns with damaged or filed serial numbers and you may want to call the serials into a friendly leo asap once you get home to verify that they are not stolen.

Happy "Hunting"

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Every time there is a gun buy back around here this discussion comes up . Nobody has ever said that they followed through with it though .

crazy_mike

Cautious
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Lafayette,la
    In seattle, wa this was done! When the city ran out of money a few local pawn shops and gun shops set up shop across the street and bought the rest of the guns, most people went to the shops anyway since they were offering cash and not prepaid credit cards.

Unclee1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge

During the exchange program, any functional, non‐replica pistol or revolver smaller
    than 0.380 caliber can be exchanged for gas cards totaling $50. Pistols that are 0.380
    caliber or greater can be swapped for gas cards totaling $100 in value. The program
    will pay $300 in gas cards for each *Assault Style* rifle, as long as they are a
    functional variant of an automatic or semi‐automatic rifle that is currently in use by
    military forces with a caliber of 9 mm, 7.62 mm or 5.56 mm.

Any other firearm or ammunition may also be dropped off for safe disposal and destruction by law
    enforcement without a gas card exchange.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    During the exchange program, any functional, non‐replica pistol or revolver smaller
    than 0.380 caliber can be exchanged for gas cards totaling $50. Pistols that are 0.380
    caliber or greater can be swapped for gas cards totaling $100 in value. The program
    will pay $300 in gas cards for each *Assault Style* rifle, as long as they are a
    functional variant of an automatic or semi‐automatic rifle that is currently in use by
    military forces with a caliber of 9 mm, 7.62 mm or 5.56 mm.

Any other firearm or ammunition may also be dropped off for safe disposal and destruction by law
    enforcement without a gas card exchange.

These are stupid criteria!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The Alphabet Agencies should be on hand to lend their expertise to the Bayou Shooters that need it.

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm trying to decide if this is worth going to to try to find a good deal. Do a lot of people actually show up at these things? For the prices of the gift cards offered, it seems like people would be better of going to a pawn shop or gun retailer to get cash. Hard for me to imagine a lot of people showing up at these events.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom