Gun Cleaning Smell

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    For as long as I can remember I have been around break free. My dad was military and LEO so I grew up around guns and of course gun oil such as break free. It's a smell that t minds me of being a kid and helping my dad clean guns.

Well as much as I like that smell and the nostalgic memories it conjures up in my mind I recently started using an Otis cleaning kit and I must say..... The smell of their cleaning stuff is awesome.

Anyone else like the gun oils smell like I do? Surely I'm not the only weirdo who does.

What's your favorite?

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    My dad was cheap and old school. 3in1 oil and good ole WD40. No fancy Christmas Tree smelling non toxic good for the environment frog kissing tree hugging cleaners. Oh and brake cleaner.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Word to the wise about break cleaner when combined with certain gases it can in very small doses kill you. Specifically welding gases. You can use it to clean just dont use it for weld prep.

I know its slightly off topic.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Hoppes. Ballistol works great but kicks me in the throat. Safari charlie is by far on of the best smelling gun products that Ive huffed. I mean smelled.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I can smell Hoppe's #9 from mile away. It has that distinct smell I hate, but know exactly what it is. Like every time I pass New Orleans :rofl:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    According to what I have read Crisco Oil is the same as your current oil and much cheaper.

Fireclean is Crisco. The weaponshield dude is the guy who made the video about the claim that "Fireclean is Crisco."

Don't try to put down on a guy when you have your story mixed up.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    According to what I have read Crisco Oil is the same as your current oil and much cheaper.

Check out this website http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Weapon Shield seems to do pretty good against rust but based on his findings I switched to Frog Lube for a do everything lube awhile back. Besides the question was based on smell and Weapon Shield smells pretty good and it was free.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom