Gun Free Zone Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pontchartrain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    St Tammany Parish
    Is it legal to have a gun in a locked vehicle in a gun free zone school parking lot. Suppose you have a gun in your car and have to go to your child’s school for a meeting, sports event or to pick up a sick child. Are you breaking the law by entering the gun free zone with the gun hidden and secured in the vehicle?

Louisiana law prohibits possession of a firearm in a firearm free zone. However Louisiana Revised Statue 14:95.2.C list exceptions to this law (found on page 35 of the Louisiana Concealed Carry permit laws). Item #5 in the list of exceptions says, “Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.”

My CWP instructor said it is legal citing the above referenced exception. However, I’ve asked two different Sheriff’s deputies and both said it isn’t legal and having a gun on campus in a car is grounds for arrest. One went on to say that it’s unlikely that they would find the gun but if he did he would make an arrest. When I mentioned the exception he said you give up that right for the privilege to drive on campus. He went on to say he would make the arrest and let the DA sort it out.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yeah, one of the first people I'd contact would be that MEM guy's attorney :D

Here you go:

John M. Delgado, Attorney at Law

Physical Address:
    628 St. Joseph Street
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70802

Mailing Address:
    P.O. Box 5165
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70821-5165

Telephone: (225) 383-5080

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Don't ask, don't tell.

The 2nd Ammendment is the only permit I need. But I comply with the law with the proper permits. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom