gun gifting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Today I went to Jefferson Gun Outlet with my girlfriend and she asked if I could buy her a Glock 30. The man behind the counter (who said he was part time help) said it was not legal if she was not related to me or my wife. I was under the impression that if it were a gift to a person, then buying a pistol for someone was okay. She has no arrests or anything barring her from owning a gun by the way. Who was wrong in this?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sounds as if you should go with her and advise her what gun she needs to purchase.

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    The law was made to prevent straw purchases but it doesnt stop anything except maybe store liability.

Just give her the cash and advise her what to buy (if you are in fact buying it for her)or buy a gift certificate.

Is it any diff if yall were married or related??

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Today I went to Jefferson Gun Outlet with my girlfriend and she asked if I could buy her a Glock 30. The man behind the counter (who said he was part time help) said it was not legal if she was not related to me or my wife. I was under the impression that if it were a gift to a person, then buying a pistol for someone was okay. She has no arrests or anything barring her from owning a gun by the way. Who was wrong in this?

Wait.....you were shopping with your girlfriend AND your wife at the same time? :rofl:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Why would it be illegal if she could legally buy it herself. Straw purchase is for people that can't buy it themselves.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I just bought my GF a gun from a dealer as a gift when she was with me... you can gift guns... as long they are 17 and older is my understanding

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    this is what i was thinking. it will be an early birthday gift as i will be deploying shortly before her birthday

From what I've read on other forums it would be legal as long as she could legally buy the Glock herself and she was also a resident of LA.

Some of our FFL guys should be on here to answer.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    ATF Form 4473:
    http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf

Look at question 11(a) and particularly the instructions for question 11(a) [scroll down for instructions]

Are you the actual buyer/transferee of the firearm?

The problem is that the question itself says you are not the actual buyer if you are buying on behalf of someone else, so on it's face, it looks like you cannot buy as a gift. However, the instructions clearly state that buying as a gift for another is okay, and you can answer "yes" to that question.

I cannot give you money to go buy a gun for me, but you can buy one with your own money and give it to me as a gift.

Most store employees probably never look at the instructions. And they get nervous knowing you are buying for someone else. The simplest thing is just let her buy it herself--you don't have to hand her the cash--they shouldn't care who actually pays, if she fills out the form. (unless they're really extra ignorant)

And the last caveat is that while you can give a gun as a gift, you cannot give it to someone who you have reason to believe cannot legally purchase or possess.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Madisonville
    it's not illegal to sell a gun to another private citizen, nor to give a gun you own as a gift. i believe all that is required is a bill of sale, or gift, with the transferee's signature, your signature, and a witness.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    it's not illegal to sell a gun to another private citizen, nor to give a gun you own as a gift. i believe all that is required is a bill of sale, or gift, with the transferee's signature, your signature, and a witness.

No bill of sale, signature or witness is required.

He may buy the Glock as a gift for her, or she could buy the gun for herself with his money. I doesn't matter, as long as he does not know or have reason to know that she is a prohibited buyer.

There is no gun registration in this state.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Academy will NOT allow one person to sign for and another person to pay for a firearm, even if they are husband and wife. The nutless monkeys who work at Academy have been interpreting the "straw purchase' clause to mean that only the person handing the money to the cashier can sign for a firearm.

Top Bottom