gun in a school gun free zone

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I know it is here some where but I cannot find a definitive answer. I am debating this with a friend so what is the final word on it?

Is it legal to have a gun in a vehicle on school property if it is a gun free zone?

THanks!

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    It falls under the "Constitutionally protected activities." The second the gun is outside of the vehicle, however, expect to be arrested.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Last I looked there was also a rule saying no guns on school property and this didn't include the constitutionally excepted clause, however it is a misdemeanor under that section.

But if it's constitutionally protected then doesn't that have to apply to all situations where a gun is completely contained within a m/v ??

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    Help me to better understand this:

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(4) The possession of a firearm occurring within one thousand feet of school property and entirely on private property, or entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or 1379.3.

So I read this as it being permissible to carry in a school zone if you possess a concealed carry permit?

Last edited:

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    Help me to better understand this:

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(4) The possession of a firearm occurring within one thousand feet of school property and entirely on private property, or entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or 1379.3.

So I read this as it being permissible to carry in a school zone if you possess a concealed carry permit?

If I recall correctly, our CC instructor told us that the 1000 feet changed and you could carry all the way up to the school property, but could not carry on school property. He also said it could be inside of your vehicle in the parking lot, but do not leave the vehicle with it. And lastly he said what he was telling us and what was printed in our books was subject to changes, so stay current with the laws.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If I recall correctly, our CC instructor told us that the 1000 feet changed and you could carry all the way up to the school property, but could not carry on school property. He also said it could be inside of your vehicle in the parking lot, but do not leave the vehicle with it. And lastly he said what he was telling us and what was printed in our books was subject to changes, so stay current with the laws.

What this guy said.

Don't push it though. Where the 1000 feet ends is always debatable by somebody. If you find yourself outside of your vehicle on school property with a concealed weapon on your person, just don't. There are so many better places to be anyway.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong... But, as mentioned, you can have it stored (read: put away and out of sight) in your vehicle. In plain site gives authorities reasonable suspicion to search....therefore you become illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong... But, as mentioned, you can have it stored (read: put away and out of sight) in your vehicle. In plain site gives authorities reasonable suspicion to search....therefore you become illegal.

No. It can be wherever you want in your car and still be legal. But leaving it in plain sight is dumb anyway.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    No. It can be wherever you want in your car and still be legal. But leaving it in plain sight is dumb anyway.

Okay...thanks for the clarification. To support your answer and show my error, I just read this in R.S. 14:95.2 defining exceptions for possession of a dangerous weapon:

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

Carry on!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom