Gun in ATV compartment same as Vehicle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Never really thought about it but it just came to my mind. Is having a gun inside one of the in-closed compartments on an ATV the same as having it in your Vehicle? I ask so that if I ever come across an ATV park with any "No Gun" signs, I want to know if it would fall under the same catagory as being in my vehicle in the parking lot. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

-Pope

Last edited:

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    In what regard then? I assume the same is applied to compartments on Motorcycles on the road ways (correct me if Im wrong.) So why would it not me the same for ATV's? They are registered Vehicles in a way right?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    When referring to a "vehicle", generally, in a legal sense, it is those means of conveyance typically legal for on-road use.

I think it also has to do with the normal daily conveyance in public spaces.

IANAL and I am going off my limited knowledge and what I have spoken to others about. The "vehicle clauses" in some laws is generally referring to legal travel in public spaces on roadways and such.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I get that to an extent. But what about a Dual Sport Motorcycle that you drive on and off road? Or a Jeep that you trail ride with. Do you lose the "gun umbrella" or whatever you want to call it once you leave the road? If not, what about a Jeep that is not registered and you trailer it to and from the trail? At what point is a vehicle NOT a vehicle?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Well my father-n-laws Side by Side has a State Sticker on it similar to boats. With that sticker he's allowed to drive it on the road. IIRC :dunno: There's no other reason to put the sticker on if not for that right?

He said he had to put it on there b/c he drives it back and forth to work from home which requires him to drive it on the road a ways.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Well my father-n-laws Side by Side has a State Sticker on it similar to boats. With that sticker he's allowed to drive it on the road. IIRC :dunno: There's no other reason to put the sticker on if not for that right?

He said he had to put it on there b/c he drives it back and forth to work from home which requires him to drive it on the road a ways.

Then I would think in that regard it is a "legal vehicle" and the same protections would apply as a car on the road or in a parking lot? ..... Right?

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I would think that if it's got a motor, and it's a vehicle it's a motor vehicle:mamoru:.. If it's titled,registered by the DMV as a motor vehicle,insured, and is legaly operated on a public road, it's a motor vehicle.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Then I would think in that regard it is a "legal vehicle" and the same protections would apply as a car on the road or in a parking lot? ..... Right?

Seems so. I don't have time right now or I'd call the DMV to hear what ridiculous answer they'd give me lol

and then call my Lawyer. Maybe some other folks.

Anyone?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom