Gun in Church

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just open carry. If a person busts in to church and starts shooting, no way will they notice a gun on a hip if you are sitting down.

The Louisiana AG wrote a brief stating that open carry is legal only where concealed carry is legal. That rules out churches because they were written as off limits, and now this law does allow it, but only if you have had the "extra" training and the pastors permission....

...so if you are allowed by the pastor to carry concealed, then I would assume you could carry openly. BUT, you have to remember that there is a loophole that goes along with this ruling too. Many churches have schools attached to them and/or some form of Sunday school or daycare which can be construed as being off limits if you are within 1,000'.

This new law in no way makes it easy to defend yourself in the eyes of an anti-gun DA who can prosecute you on some of these other stipulations whether you had permission in the church or not to carry. You might have been breaking another law....

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but loopholes can get us law abiding guys in trouble...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Had a long discussion with some friends and associates on Facebook about this last night/this morning. Unbelievable, I was the only one for Jindal signing this piece of legislation. They had no facts; no philosophical underpinnings; no reason and no logic. They pulled "facts" out of their lower colons and when called to provide links to their factoids they grew a bit agitated. When I used a bit of deductive reasoning they grew silent. Why? Because they felt that the police was here to protect us and more guns = more crime so I told them they wished to live in a dictatorship; a Police State. I could hear crickets. :rofl:

I'm sad to say that all parties were upper middle class Blacks and they didn't appreciate my bringing that to their attention, either - especially the judge in D.C. who had access to a firearm and a security detail (yet her constituents don't).

hey didn't like the facts of what has happened historically when firearms are removed from civilian society nor did they appreciate the fact that I reminded them that Jesus commanded his disciples to grab their sword and follow him and if they did not have a sword to sell their robe and buy themselves one. Didn't like the fact that our 2nd Amendment Rights come from British Common Law which is extended from the Goths, in general, and the Norman tribes, in particular.

I had a GREAT time!

Ah, the irony is as thick as the air down here this past two weeks.

They needed to hear the truth, and you told it to them. It's pure gold when someone makes ignorant statements regarding guns and gun "statistics"- and simply gets their ass handed to them on a silver platter when someone calls them to the carpet.

Nice job.:D

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I hope we never see it happen for real, but I wonder what jury would convict someone of being guilty of breaking the no conceal-carrying in church law after he or she is reported to have shot an armed criminal in church?

I guess it just comes down to who you're more worried about; someone reporting you for CC'ing in church or some armed crimnal lunatic (in church) shooting or throwing knives at people.

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I read in the RS ...don't remember where....that if the act saved a life it would be considered justifiable where other wise not......like said, if you are carrying and stop a church murder you would not be charged with illegal carry

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If they can't read Luke chapter 22, they don't need my money. (And yea, I pretty much have come to believe it's a racket... look at the pasters)

Believe it or not some pastors don't take a salary. It's a calling not a profession to some .I happen to belong to a body that the pastor is just such.

How does he pay his bills and get money?

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Ah...for the good ole days.

My father was a minister, Southern Baptist, in rural Alabama for most of his early career. I recall a story he told where one of the members of his church had urged him to not preach on a particular topic. Told him that if he did, he, the church member, would be there to shoot him out of the pulpit. My Dad turned to the church deacons and explained the story. The response he got was, "Preacher, we'll take care of it".

So the next Sunday, my Dad is in pulpit, and on the front row, comes the guy who sits down staring at Pop. As Dad is about to announce the sermon topic, the lead deacon comes and sits next to the gent, produces a 1911 from under his coat and puts it in the guys ribs. A second deacon comes to the other side, pulls a revolver from his coat, and puts into the ribs from the other side. Then both deacons link their arms behind the guy, kind of a "brotherly gesture", at least when viewed from behind. :)

Sermon was delivered as promised. Cops carted the mook away after services. Pop said that after his initial shock subsided, it was kind of humorous to recall the look on the guys face as he sat through the sermon.

Just a story, but a true one.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I read in the RS ...don't remember where....that if the act saved a life it would be considered justifiable where other wise not......like said, if you are carrying and stop a church murder you would not be charged with illegal carry

Well that makes the law AGAINST carrying in church even more retarded!

Seriously, by saying it's OK to have carried if you're justified, then the law against CC'ing wherever prohibited is simply saying, that as lawmakers, deep down they really know whats right, but are just trying to play both sides for re-elective purposes. Am I right? Can I get an AMEN?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Ok thanks for the reply, I like some people think of preachers as a full time job.

Depending on the congregation, sometimes it is. The Lutheran church I was a part of back home, the pastor spent most of his time during the week visiting the members who could no longer physically make it to the church on Sunday, talking with them, praying with them, and bringing them a meal his wife had cooked, sometimes. Other times, he spent time working on maintaining the premise, along with some of the other volunteer caretakers. He certainly kept busy serving the church and it's congregation.

Depends on the church, but it can be a full time job, but yea... not always.

I did construction work during the week for the nondenominational (funny word in itself, I admit) preacher I went to church to listen to on Sunday morning and Saturday evening.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    denominational???? Show me where a partictuar one is called for in the bible. We should all be " CHRISTIAN" brother and sisters . I am out of the pulpit now. :)

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    denominational???? Show me where a partictuar one is called for in the bible. We should all be " CHRISTIAN" brother and sisters . I am out of the pulpit now. :)

Yea, but without competition, 'they' couldn't make as much money making people think they have the 'right' idea :mamoru::mamoru:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yea, but without competition, 'they' couldn't make as much money making people think they have the 'right' idea :mamoru::mamoru:

Got to have one to fit what you want to do.
    Don't want to do that one the wife can't cut her hair and she has to dress like 18 century.
    Don't want this one can't have sex standing up, people will think we're dancing.
    Don't want this one got to have too many kids.
    Got one out there for everybody, just got to pick the one that fits the way you want to live.

Just got to hope you got it right in the end.
    :x:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I imagine that if you successfully stopped a murderous assault while violating the law the PA would probably demand that the police confiscate your weapon, the chief of police or police spokesperson will tell the news that your response was "ill-advised" and the officers will probably quietly pat you on the back.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I imagine that if you successfully stopped a murderous assault while violating the law the PA would probably demand that the police confiscate your weapon, the chief of police or police spokesperson will tell the news that your response was "ill-advised" and the officers will probably quietly pat you on the back.

I could live with that. Yeah, to stop a murderous assault, I could accept that as an outcome. Like they say, you got to give a little to get a little. I have more guns.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    The Louisiana AG wrote a brief stating that open carry is legal only where concealed carry is legal. That rules out churches because they were written as off limits, ...
    Which AG opinion is that? I've looked over Louisiana Attorney General Opinion No. 78 795 and didn't see anything like that in it so maybe it's another one. Seriously, I'm interested in reading that AG opinion. If you don't want to reply in the thread please PM me with it.
    Thanks
    Seve Raacke aka Yale

Top Bottom