Gun in your car Mississippi/Alabama

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    There are a few guys on here well versed on gun laws. Please answer this question. I let my CCP expire. Without it can I keep a loaded gun in my vehicle in Alabama and Mississippi? Thank you.
    Charles

RovingDisco

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Rocket City, Alabama
    Not in Alabama. We tried passing a law to allow it recently, but it didn't go through. That reminds me I need to pay my 20.00 dollars to the courthouse to renew my permit.

Last edited:

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    In Mississippi, yes. I was born and raised there, but live in Louisiana now. Your vehicle is considered part of your home. You can carry concealed or open, loaded or unloaded in your vehicle without a permit, so long as you're 18 and you abide the other laws such as for educational campuses and whatnot.

Also beware: I think there's something on the books about hunting arms in the vehicle and loaded during season. Not sure.

One great thing about Mississippi is, every single public library that gets even a penny of funding from the state, is given a complete law library. And these books are sometimes much easier to use than the internet.

Also, brush up on Mississippi's new open carry regulations. It's always been legal to open carry with a concealed carry permit, but I THINK they recently changed it so that you can OC without one now. Even if you don't OC, and don't carry outside of your car, it's a good bit of knowledge to know. It happened after I moved to Louisiana, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

K10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2014
    Mississippi
    In Mississippi, yes. I was born and raised there, but live in Louisiana now. Your vehicle is considered part of your home. You can carry concealed or open, loaded or unloaded in your vehicle without a permit, so long as you're 18 and you abide the other laws such as for educational campuses and whatnot.

Also beware: I think there's something on the books about hunting arms in the vehicle and loaded during season. Not sure.

One great thing about Mississippi is, every single public library that gets even a penny of funding from the state, is given a complete law library. And these books are sometimes much easier to use than the internet.

Also, brush up on Mississippi's new open carry regulations. It's always been legal to open carry with a concealed carry permit, but I THINK they recently changed it so that you can OC without one now. Even if you don't OC, and don't carry outside of your car, it's a good bit of knowledge to know. It happened after I moved to Louisiana, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

It has always been legal to open carry, no permit required in Mississippi. They just changed the wording to clarify the point. As to the OP yep you can have one in your car here without a permit just like Louisiana.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    It has always been legal to open carry, no permit required in Mississippi. They just changed the wording to clarify the point. As to the OP yep you can have one in your car here without a permit just like Louisiana.
    No, you've had to have a permit up until recently. MS State AG clarified on that point numerous times. So, you can argue me, or argue the state's attorney general, I don't care. The change that came recently did away with the permit requirement.

Top Bottom