Gun leads to lockdown at two schools

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=10328892
    FRENCH SETTLEMENT, LA (WAFB) - French Settlement high and elementary schools had to be put on lockdown Friday morning after the high school principal found a loaded gun on campus.

It happened around 7:30am. Principal Lance Lutson says an unregistered white pickup truck in the gym parking lot prompted him to take a closer look. When he looked inside, Hutson says he found a loaded .40 caliber handgun.

The high school and elementary school, which happens to be across the street, were put on lockdown as a precaution. Local law authorities gave the all-clear to re-open both schools around 9:30am, but that did not stop parents from checking their children out of school.

French Settlement Police Chief Harry Brignac says the truck and gun belong to a friend of a high school senior who drove it to school. Authorities believe the student had no idea the gun was in the truck and that the weapon was not intended to harm anyone at the school. The principal says no disciplinary action will be taken.
    ------------------------------------------------------

bravo to the police chief for being a reasonable person and seeing the actual circumstances.

Last edited:

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Why the F was the principal digging through the guys truck??
    I'm giving benefit of the doubt, suspicious truck without school parking permit, looks through window and spots gun? Then again, I guess at that point the student should have known.... hmmm.......

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Why the F was the principal digging through the guys truck??

I'll preface this by saying I didn't go to school in Louisiana, but when we decided to drive to school we had to have a parking permit. In order to get the permit we had to sign a release that said they could search our vehicle at any time without cause.

Our parents might have had to sign it too but I honestly don't remember.

Not sure how things are handled here. I know they used to walk drug dogs through the parking lot to catch people with drugs in cars.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I'm giving benefit of the doubt, suspicious truck without school parking permit, looks through window and spots gun? Then again, I guess at that point the student should have known.... hmmm.......

Here's how I see it........

"Authorities believe the student had no idea the gun was in the truck"

-Okay, so you're telling me the kid who DROVE THE TRUCK TO SCHOOL didn't know there was a gun in it? If he truly didn't know the gun was there (hidden), then how the hell did the principal "magically" find it while looking through the window??

I'm glad the kid didn't get charged, but that gives the principal no right to play Officer Barbrady at the school.

DAVE

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'll preface this by saying I didn't go to school in Louisiana, but when we decided to drive to school we had to have a parking permit. In order to get the permit we had to sign a release that said they could search our vehicle at any time without cause.

Not sure how things are handled here. I know they used to walk drug dogs through the parking lot to catch people with drugs in cars.

Works pretty much that way here in New Orleans if you're parking on school property, at least at the private schools. Some of the schools also ask you to register your car if you're going to park on the streets adjacent to the school.

melisa

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2006
    Gonzales
    Oh ****....I have a friend who's daughters go there!! I better call and make sure they are ok!! Along with my future niece!!

I mean I know they are ok...but mommy's tend to worry a lot!!

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around

My my how times have changed, and not for the better. Back when I was in high school ( a measly 13 years ago) we drove to school. No registering, no permitting, no special tagging, we just drove there, parked and went to school. We also had guns. Sometimes we went hunting at a friends house after school. Winter days are short and if you didn't bring your gun and had to go home to get it, you might get 20 minutes of hunting in before dark. I also had friends who traded firearms at school. The had just started the crackdown maybe when I was a junior in school. The first day we had wand waving police in our doors checking us as we entered the school I had bullets in my bag. They completely missed that.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    When I was in school the lady that ran the cafeteria liked to squirrel hunt. The year she retired at the end of the year program they gave her a 12 ga semi auto for a retirement gift.
    And guess what, nobody got shot or went crazy.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(1)...
    (5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

So what did the student do wrong???

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

(1)...
    (5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

He scared the sheeple and made good TV news.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

(1)...

That's what I was going to post. Even if he knew it was there, he still did nothing wrong.

Top Bottom