Gun Question - Age Requirements

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    But is it pistol ammo if it never goes into a pistol? At what point is the ammunition considered "pistol"?

Of course, you could just go to wal-mart, where the clerks always look at you with a bewildered stare and ask, "This be pistol burrets?" To which, you respond, "No."

Most places I have been would say that if it's customarily considered pistol ammo, then its pistol ammo. :p

I know here, if you are under 21, we wont sell "pistol" ammo to you, even if you tell us it's for a carbine/rifle. Just CYOA, ya know?

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    By law (which is ignored by lots of people) if it is to be fired in a rifle, it is not "pistol ammo". That's why, when you go to Wallyworld to buy 22s, they ask if it is for a rifle or a pistol. If it's for a rifle, you only have to be 18 to buy it, but if it's for a pistol you have to be 21. One of the few things about buying gun-related stuff is you don't have to prove anything. As long as you have told them it's for a rifle, they're off the hook, if you load it in your pistol and rob a C store. They cannot, legally, refuse to sell you 22s, 38s, 9mms, 357s, 44s or 45s, even though they are all "pistol ammo", if you tell 'em it's for a rifle.

They might refuse anyway, but that would be either store policy or clerk stupidity.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    By law (which is ignored by lots of people) if it is to be fired in a rifle, it is not "pistol ammo". That's why, when you go to Wallyworld to buy 22s, they ask if it is for a rifle or a pistol. If it's for a rifle, you only have to be 18 to buy it, but if it's for a pistol you have to be 21. One of the few things about buying gun-related stuff is you don't have to prove anything. As long as you have told them it's for a rifle, they're off the hook, if you load it in your pistol and rob a C store. They cannot, legally, refuse to sell you 22s, 38s, 9mms, 357s, 44s or 45s, even though they are all "pistol ammo", if you tell 'em it's for a rifle.

They might refuse anyway, but that would be either store policy or clerk stupidity.

1. Could you please cite these "laws" from an academic or judicial source?

2. You might want to rethink your last bolded statement. A private business can refuse to sell you anything they want to...legally.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge

2. You might want to rethink your last bolded statement. A private business can refuse to sell you anything they want to...legally.

3. Tell me WTF Walmart you're shopping in that looks at someone buying .22 cartridges and asks "is that for a rifle or a pistol?" and seriously expects an answer...

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Most places I have been would say that if it's customarily considered pistol ammo, then its pistol ammo. :p

I know here, if you are under 21, we wont sell "pistol" ammo to you, even if you tell us it's for a carbine/rifle. Just CYOA, ya know?

So, what about .44/40, .38/40which have been almost equally used in both since the 1870s?

Last edited:

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera

Certainly.

Gun Control Act of 1968
    http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm#GCA

Section 922 - Unlawful Acts

Paragraph (a) (9) (b) (1)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver:

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

That says, for people that can't read simple English, that it's illegal to sell ammo to anyone under 18, and if the ammo is NOT for a shotgun to rifle, to sell to anyone under 21. So if I'm 19, and want to buy 44 magnums for my Marlin lever, 9mms for my Uzi Carbine or 22LRs for my Ruger 10/22, it does not matter that they can be shot in a pistol. I am shooting them in rifles, so they are rifle ammo.

As for the second one, you either misread, or possibly I wrote it badly. I did not mean to say that the dealer is forced by law to sell to you. I said that the dealer could not refuse to sell, using, "It's against the law" as a reason. You might notice that I further said that, even though you can legally buy it, many dealers still refuse to sell it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom