Gun safe black friday?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Anyone here know of any deals going on for gun safes? I see Tractor Supply has the 64 gun Canon for $699. Just wondering if there is a better bang for the buck, or certain brands to stay away from. Thanks

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    Same safe at academy for $599
    Its not the same, different model numbers. Its just has safari written on it, paint doesn't look as nice. I almost bit on it but will pu TS one in AM. They have 12 months no interest, as well.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    A friend of mine just got a gun safe, bought on sale from some place I can't remember, but he had to bring it back because the keypad is malfunctioning.

800lb safe.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Keep in mind that tractor supply will load your safe in a truck for you, (some places won't) and that Cannon has a lifetime warranty...even if someone tries to break into the safe, Cannon will replace it.

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    This time of the year, last year, I bought a stack on with electronic keypad from gander mountain. It was a 22 rifle safe and paid $499. I bet they will have same deal again....

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I may have my wife go pay for it and i'll pick it up when I get home. I'd hate to pass on the deal and not find another. I just don't see where it says the guage of steel its made of.

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    Just bought a pair of them. Don't forget the dehumidifier!!! This model doesn't have any internal wiring, so either buy the wireless or sterno can model. If you need power inside, they sale the kit for $29, but you must drill your own hole to pass wiring through.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Hold out for a safe with a dial type lock. The electronic locks are notorious for failing. Generally it's the solenoid that fails. Next thing you know you're paying a locksmith a couple hundred dollars to drill a hole in your safe, install another couple hundred dollars worth of dial lock parts, and leave you with a functioning dial lock safe with an ugly hole in it.

This doesn't happen to everyone, but I've heard the story enough times that I refuse to own an electronic lock.

If you have an electronic lock, heed the warning signs that it's about to fail. If the solenoid sounds weak, only opens with a fresh battery, get it serviced before you end up with an ugly hole in your safe door.

Additionally: If you have a safe with an electronic lock, you should change your combination regularly. Otherwise a wear pattern on the keypad will emerge, telling everyone the digits in your combination. Dial locks do not have this issue.

Electronic locks account for the vast majority of safe lock problems. They are only designed to last 3-10 years, while a dial lock is designed to last 100 years on average.

Read some here

Edit to add:

If you are storing a tin foil hat in your safe, you'll NEED a mechanical lock, as your tin foil hat will be unavailable after an EMP.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    If they have a life time warranty it should be a cheap fix if the Digital quits working, I have a cannon also, for about 7 years no issue, you can get one from bass pro or cabelas and apply for a card , get 10% off and 6-12 months no interest, just a thought

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hold out for a safe with a dial type lock. The electronic locks are notorious for failing. Generally it's the solenoid that fails. Next thing you know you're paying a locksmith a couple hundred dollars to drill a hole in your safe, install another couple hundred dollars worth of dial lock parts, and leave you with a functioning dial lock safe with an ugly hole in it.

This doesn't happen to everyone, but I've heard the story enough times that I refuse to own an electronic lock.

If you have an electronic lock, heed the warning signs that it's about to fail. If the solenoid sounds weak, only opens with a fresh battery, get it serviced before you end up with an ugly hole in your safe door.

Additionally: If you have a safe with an electronic lock, you should change your combination regularly. Otherwise a wear pattern on the keypad will emerge, telling everyone the digits in your combination. Dial locks do not have this issue.

Electronic locks account for the vast majority of safe lock problems. They are only designed to last 3-10 years, while a dial lock is designed to last 100 years on average.

Read some here

Edit to add:

If you are storing a tin foil hat in your safe, you'll NEED a mechanical lock, as your tin foil hat will be unavailable after an EMP.

I have a combo gun safe and I've been really itching for electronic since its such a pain in the ass to open quickly. Do the cannons and the like not have some models with some sort of back up key incase the keypad fails?

7beast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've owned 2 Canon 24 gun safes for 9 yrs and I'm completely satisfied with it. Although I do regret not getting the electronic dial b/c the dial type would be a problem to open in an emergency. Both were purchased from Academy.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Read some here

Edit to add:

Awesome advice!

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom