Guns and homeowners insurance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My insurance company ( All State) is telling me my homeowners policy does not cover guns. In order for them to provide coverage I have to get a rider policy (which doesn't bother me too much) but I also have to pay an appraiser to appraise my guns before they will sell me this extra policy. Is this the norm, or do I need to look for some other company. I offered to photograph each gun and provide serial number to them but they won't go for that. With all the information a available today they could easily look up the values of these guns. I guess it boils down to the facts that I'd have to pay someone to appraise the guns and then there's one more person who knows more of my private affairs. Most people on this site seem to have common sense and good judgement so please let me know if I'm being unreasonable. Merry Christmas.

Saker

"Send It"
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    My insurance company ( All State) is telling me my homeowners policy does not cover guns. In order for them to provide coverage I have to get a rider policy (which doesn't bother me too much) but I also have to pay an appraiser to appraise my guns before they will sell me this extra policy. Is this the norm, or do I need to look for some other company. I offered to photograph each gun and provide serial number to them but they won't go for that. With all the information a available today they could easily look up the values of these guns. I guess it boils down to the facts that I'd have to pay someone to appraise the guns and then there's one more person who knows more of my private affairs. Most people on this site seem to have common sense and good judgement so please let me know if I'm being unreasonable. Merry Christmas.

Answer to your question is yes and no!
    Some homeowners insurance companies cover firearms (to a degree) and some do not, as is your case.

I think you will do better by using the "NRA Endorsed Property & Casualty Insurance Program".
    I found you get better coverage at a lower price without all the hastle.... I personally think the "Homeowners Ins Co's" just don't want or want to discourage you from using them for firearms coverage.
    So here is a link that may help you: ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance

Contact by phone: 1-877-NRA-3006 (1-877-672-3006), Option 3
    NRAInsurance@LocktonAffinity.com

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have safeco thru my local agent. They limit certain things like cds and dvds to like $1k and something similar with guns. I purchased an additional rider to mostly cover my gun collection. I gave a list of guns and replacement values to my agent when doing this and have pictures with serial numbers on file (that needs to be updated) put away if something were to ever happen.
    I personally would say to invest in a good safe first, then insurance. Just a few years insurance costs would cover a good safe. Alos put the safe where it almost cannot be taken. Mine is in a corner, in a closet and anchored to concrete and to the wall and the safe has a decent fire rating. There is stuff in there that no insurance money can replace!

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Most insurance will cover firearms like they cover jewelry and silver- very low limits unless it is scheduled and a separate premium is paid. I think requiring an appraisal is a little unusual. If you want insurance, shop around.

A safe is a very good idea, but just know that most safes are good protection against short fires and babysitters/ casual acquaintances. Most "gun safes" being sold can be easily breached by cordless power tools. I think I could open an entire side with a cordless skill saw.

Even a very good safe can be opened with enough time, so you don't want to be away unless you have the house protected. A good alarm system with cellular and battery backup is a great addition.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I asked USAA the same question. They basically told me I needed to prove that I owned the guns and suggested I make a list of all the guns, SNs, receipts from purchase if possible, and take a dated photo of them with me in it. Put all this in a safe deposit box for future need.

He said this is the sort of thing they do with moveable valuables, for sake of a better term.

The suggestion to use a specialty insurance makes sense.

It seems to me the need to prove we own the guns isn't the sort of thing we would think of, but it is very important from an insurance prospective, and, after all, it is their business.

:eh:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Some insurance companies have a theft limit for guns (say 1500 or so) but cover 100% in the case of a fire. I was not aware of Allstate not covering firearms at all. I would ask your agent to show you where in the policy jacket (the text of the policy- if you've never read this you need to at least skim it! This is what differentiates one company from another!) it covers or denies firearms.

There are other companies that sell a rider that covers firearms. I have one w/ Statefarm. I think the cost is 2.00/ $100 of coverage IIRC so I only list the more important ones (or the ones more likely to be stolen).

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I never really put a lot of thought into this. I always did assume that contents clause in my policy covered my weapons !!! With todays insurance coverage policies as crappy and weak as they are, I better call and check on this !!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    This isn't anything new. Jewelry, guns, and silverware have theft limits. There's a cash limit for money at home (often $200). Fine arts and collectibles have limits also. And if you think your homeowners policy is limited go read your flood policy!

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    It's my understanding that some homeowner's insurance companies require proof of purchase or a bill of sale to cover any firearm claim. This is why I always use a Bill of Sale for any transaction.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I asked USAA the same question. They basically told me I needed to prove that I owned the guns and suggested I make a list of all the guns, SNs, receipts from purchase if possible, and take a dated photo of them with me in it. Put all this in a safe deposit box for future need.

He said this is the sort of thing they do with moveable valuables, for sake of a better term.

It seems to me the need to prove we own the guns isn't the sort of thing we would think of, but it is very important from an insurance prospective, and, after all, it is their business.

We shouldn,t need to prove ownership. What if you have a buddy's rifle in your home and something happens? If it is there it should be covered.

Lets face it, insurance companies are no one's friendly neighbor. That is why they clause everything up the wahzoo, including in Louisiana, Named Storms.

YMMV

Merry Christmas everyone

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the input on this subject. I've never been under the impression that any insurance company is my friend. It's one of those things you should have, but I wish they would be a little more reasonable at least All State in what they require before they will insure guns. Ill try the NRA insurance and maybe some more if the NRA route doesn't work. Enjoy the day my fellow patriots.

Saker

"Send It"
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    ......... There are other companies that sell a rider that covers firearms. I have one w/ Statefarm. I think the cost is 2.00/ $100 of coverage IIRC so I only list the more important ones (or the ones more likely to be stolen).

That seems a little high to me......this is one line from the online printable form from the NRA Endorsed Insurance:

CALCULATE YOUR PREMIUM COST (Minimum payment $50)
    1. Calculate Premium $(Total Value of Insured from above) x .0174 = $ _________
    2. If Premium exceeds $50, enter amount in the space to the right;
    If Premium is $49.99 or less, enter $50 at the right. $ _________

I calculated 15,000 and it would be = 261.00 annually (Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong)

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We shouldn,t need to prove ownership. What if you have a buddy's rifle in your home and something happens? If it is there it should be covered.

Lets face it, insurance companies are no one's friendly neighbor. That is why they clause everything up the wahzoo, including in Louisiana, Named Storms.

"Ummmm.... yes, I did have that Ming Vase at home!" That's why you need to prove ownership. Pics, receipts, etc. Its amazing how many theft claims are either fraudulent, or at least padded.
    Insurance companies are businesses, and they're trying to be fair while staying in business. You have a contract with them. Everything is spelled out. Please read it before a claim happens and everyone will be better off.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    There are other companies that sell a rider that covers firearms. I have one w/ Statefarm. I think the cost is 2.00/ $100 of coverage IIRC so I only list the more important ones (or the ones more likely to be stolen).

I use State Farm for fishing tackle ($2/$100). But the NRA-endorsed coverage for firearms is far cheaper, with a very clear set of rules for paying you in case of a covered loss.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder

They must have changed. I asked them a few years ago and they wanted make, model, and serial #s for everything. I have absolutely no problem with taking pictures of serial #s and receipts and give them this info if something happens, but I am not comfortable in giving them this info for them to hang on to.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    They must have changed. I asked them a few years ago and they wanted make, model, and serial #s for everything. I have absolutely no problem with taking pictures of serial #s and receipts and give them this info if something happens, but I am not comfortable in giving them this info for them to hang on to.

Note what I said: Put this info in a safe place, not send it to them. It's part of establishing that you own these guns.

As someone pointed out, there is insurance fraud, if only for a couple hundred dollars.

I got $$ for meat in my fridge's freezer after Gustav no questions asked.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    I did read what you said. 3 years ago when I asked, they wanted the info sent to them. They didnt want me to have the info available in case something happened, they wanted it right then.

I have pictures of my firearms on an external hard drive in a safe at my Dad's house 250 miles away. If anything happened to my stuff I would have no problem with sending that data to my insurance company to prove ownership, but I do not want to just send that information to them to keep on file for who knows who to see.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I did read what you said. 3 years ago when I asked, they wanted the info sent to them. They didnt want me to have the info available in case something happened, they wanted it right then.

I have pictures of my firearms on an external hard drive in a safe at my Dad's house 250 miles away. If anything happened to my stuff I would have no problem with sending that data to my insurance company to prove ownership, but I do not want to just send that information to them to keep on file for who knows who to see.

Sorry for the misread. 3y ago was about the time I contacted them and got a different answer. USAA is better than that.

Top Bottom