gunshot noise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wallstdevil

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    New Orleans
    My brother just bought a house that sit on 8 acres of land, surround by woods. We were thinking about putting in a backdrop and do some target practice. The problem is that about a mile down the road there are a couple of houses and alittle down is the main road with a gas station. I just want get you guys/gals opinion to see if this is a good idea.

Thanks,
    Alan

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    outside of city limits? we shoot at a friends place, we just make sure that we are done shooting before 5

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds like you need to invest in a few silencers. Head on over to the Class 3 section. They are easier to get than you think.

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    1 mile away.........

I can shoot a .22 in my back yard and my wife can't hear it in the house 600 feet away.:D

The noise level will likely not bother anyone. As long as your shooting location is the proper didstance from any public roads and shooting in a safe direction, I say go for it.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    if its outside of city limits,and your sure of your backstop and beyond,it shouldnt be a problem,,,im sure people hear gun shots all winter dew to hunters in the area....just make sure of your backstop..

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    if its outside of city limits,and your sure of your backstop and beyond,it shouldnt be a problem,,,im sure people hear gun shots all winter dew to hunters in the area....just make sure of your backstop..

yeah, don't forget about the whole backstop thing.....shooting at one or two trees is not a great idea, shooting at a forest...mmmmmm.........

wallstdevil

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    New Orleans
    It's outside city limit. We would like to host a shooting bbq sometime in the future and don't want to make everybody bring a silencer. But I have been talking to another member on BS about starting getting an silencer under my LLC.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    My brother just bought a house that sit on 8 acres of land, surround by woods. We were thinking about putting in a backdrop and do some target practice. The problem is that about a mile down the road there are a couple of houses and alittle down is the main road with a gas station. I just want get you guys/gals opinion to see if this is a good idea.

Thanks,
    Alan

That far away they may not even hear the noise.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The sound doesnt kill. The freaking bullets do! If you are going to do this you need to either make a berm with a good amout of dirt or THICK steel plate at an angle. DO NOT let anyone shoot unless you know they / the rifle can and WILL hit the back stop.

If you are unsure then ask your self if you want to end up in Angola for neglent homicide.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    A really big dirt berm would be the only safe way to go . And , any anti gun neighbor will find a way to make your life miserable . Especially if the local sheriff is their brother in law , etc .

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd say go check with your neighbors, introduce yourself and tell them you may shoot out their sometimes. Let them know of your safety measures, etc. IMO that's better than just shooting and hoping for the best. Feel them out before you invest time and money in a berm, etc. And remember they can't stop you from shooting if you are doing it safely and the noise is not a legitimate complaint. Maybe have your wife go down to the gas station or neighbors and pop off a few rounds and see if she can hear it, and if it's loud enough to complain about.

Also, go to Google maps and check the satellite images out for your area. We were starting to build a berm at my dad's property and thought we were all clear, but checked out Google first and found out there was what looked like a camp directly behind where we were planning to shoot. :eek3:

Top Bottom