Gunsmith Apprenticeship

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 504BigNasty

Looter Assassin
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    NOLA-Bywater
    I am looking into becoming a gunsmith. I have been a commercial diver for the last 6 years and I am ready to do something else. I have had a love for all guns since I was a kid and working a guns would be a dream come true. I was looking into gunsmith schools and was told if I could get a apprenticeship I would learn a lot more. So is anyone looking for a apprentice or have any advice for me? Any information is appreciated thanks in advance!

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Wow that's not very nice. I think most gunsmiths don't hang out on gun forums. I know of a few that do but they are one man shops typically. I think you would be better off going to a gunsmith school. If you can't do that go meet some smiths in there shops/stores to talk to them. An apprenticeship is not just going to come easy because while they are teaching you they aren't making money.
    From a non professional side of things I build furniture and have had many people tell me they want to learn how to build something. I've learned what they really want is either for me to do all the work while they watch or just be able to get a project done for their wife or whatever. The point is when you know how to do something and you worked hard to learn it you get a lot of people wanting your knowledge for various reasons and it can get tedious.

That is why you need to go meet some people and ask them directly.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    My advice would be to go find a gunsmith and make friends with him.

Hang around. Show interest. Let him know you want to learn.

That's what I've done. I work a full time job, but when I have free time, I go over to his shop and hangout. Watch, listen, ask questions, help out when I can.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Not a single bit of advice from anyone? Wow I guess this website is only good for selling guns way over priced and LEO bashing.

EAD, brother.

This forum isn't here to cater to your demands. Grow-up. If I were a gunsmith and saw some ******** like that come out my apprentices mouth, I'd be in need of a new apprentice.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not a full qualified gunsmith. Which is the reason I never answered your post. I know one pretty well. He doesn't go online, much less gun forums. How about you drop the attitude and call a gunsmith school on phone?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    My advice would be to go find a gunsmith and make friends with him.

Hang around. Show interest. Let him know you want to learn.

That's what I've done. I work a full time job, but when I have free time, I go over to his shop and hangout. Watch, listen, ask questions, help out when I can.

This, x 1000.

The bulk of my (limited) knowledge in regards to the mechanics of firearms has come from watching others who know their stuff do the job. And, most importantly, asking important questions and getting some hands on experience at the same time.

504BigNasty

Looter Assassin
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    NOLA-Bywater
    I'm not a full qualified gunsmith. Which is the reason I never answered your post. I know one pretty well. He doesn't go online, much less gun forums. How about you drop the attitude and call a gunsmith school on phone?
    I have called a few schools my problem is they are all out of state and are pretty expensive. And I was told that you learn a lot more from a apprenticeship then a school.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Matt Cheely, of Cheely Custom Guns, and Bobby Keigans, of Freedom Gunworks have been kicking around the idea of a one week class to teach 1911 build. At the end of the week, everyone there should be going home with a fully functional 1911. The class would be at Freedom Gunworks in GA. Click on FGW link in my sig to get contact info.

Top Bottom