Gunsmith Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLEJOE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Calhoun,La
    Can anybody give me the name and location of a good smith? I have a fairly new Rem. 700P with the infamous over chamfered firing pin hole in the bolt face. I'm willing to drive 100 miles or so if I can get this remedied. I'm thinking about trying my hand at some long range shooting and will probably need some more intense smithing in the future. I'm located in north La. Any help will be appreciated.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Personally I would contact Chad Dixon over at LongRifles, Inc. Bushing a firing pin hole isn't just for any gunsmith and Chad does remarkable work. Shipping a bolt is $5.25 - a lot less than you'd spend on gas. I would also ask him if he can bush it for a .068" pin and either turn yours down to fit exactly or get you a PTG firing pin.

http://www.longriflesinc.com/index.html

OLEJOE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Calhoun,La
    Thanks. I forgot about Clark over at Haughton. LongRifles has a nice web site. I like to have the 700 trued and either rebarrel or set the barrel back and rechamber it to reduce the leade. Mine has a lot of freebore. Or I may just sell it and buy a Savage. Thanks again for the help.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Ritten, what is the advantage of a .065 firing pin, other than for ppc cartridges. I have been playing around bushing some trashed bolts and am about to bush a 722 bolt that was eroded by a bad batch of primers. I was just going to go with the standard fp size since it's just .222 / .223 unless there is another reason.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Ritten, what is the advantage of a .065 firing pin, other than for ppc cartridges. I have been playing around bushing some trashed bolts and am about to bush a 722 bolt that was eroded by a bad batch of primers. I was just going to go with the standard fp size since it's just .222 / .223 unless there is another reason.

Nothing proven, but a lot of people consider it to be more accurate. I personally think it has to do with using small primers vs large. You can still strike a large primer with a .065 firing pin reliably (all BAT tactical actions have a .068" firing pin) but the smaller pin when driven with the same force will dent the cup with less resistance than a large pin. Think of it as driving a finishing nail in a board with a hammer and then trying to drive a #9 nail in the same board with the same hammer. It also gives you more bolt face to support the rear of the cartridge which translates into higher pressure before seeing cratering issues or pierced primers when running on the edge of overpressure. Lapua now makes a .308win brass with small primers pockets for that use.

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Calhoun,La
    Well bolt is back from Gre-Tan and it looks good. I measured my old pin they turned and got .060. I'll let you know how it does shortly. Got a new EGW scope mount coming but I think I'm going to try it out tomorrow and see what my primers look like.

Top Bottom