Guy wants to bypass dealer and for me to ship straight

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I have a gun for sale on gun broker. I am not a dealer but have a friend who is and he ships out a gun when I sell it. Well I received an email from a guy yesterday from Kalifornia that wants this gun and is legal there. Problem is my buddy can't send to Kali because he is not registered there. One store in town is but said will charge $125 in transfer fees and shipping to send to Kalifornia. I told the guy you pay for gun plus transfer fees it's yours. He said it was too steep since he would have to pay fees on his end.
    Well I received another email from him this morning. Below is exact copy of what he sent:
    "Since you are not a dealer, I have another question. If you are not successful selling your gun on GunBroker, would you consider simply shipping it to me for $600? I would be willing to trust you by sending a certified check and you wouldn't have to put a correct return address on the shipping forms. That way the shipment couldn't be traced to you and I would take all the risk in the shipment getting lost. Just something to keep in mind."

Now there is no way in hell I would do this, but do I simply tell him to go to hell or call LEO? Now I see why some of you only do FTF.

petelanca

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Grand Lake 70607
    First, I do respect and follow the laws to the best of my understanding, Second, when I get a gut feel about something I usually trust that. Are you in a bind for the money, is $600 worth being in jail or some out of state Legal Defense expense?

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    First off, he knew his fee's on his end from the start. He's a friggin tool and part of the reason we as weapon owners have such a hard time.

I would absolutely forward that email to the BATFE in a hot second.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I am not sure on how legit that email might be, due to the facts and circumstances it's Cali, I believe like others have mentioned it's a scam. I would definetly forward that email eventhough high chance it came from them to start with it will "clear" you off from any responsability, they decide what to do from there.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I am not sure on how legit that email might be, due to the facts and circumstances it's Cali, I believe like others have mentioned it's a scam. I would definetly forward that email eventhough high chance it came from them to start with it will "clear" you off from any responsability, they decide what to do from there.

Clear him from responsibility of what? He has no responsibility to report it to anyone and he won't be following through with this shady sale.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Just leave the little fishies alone. Tell him you don't feel comfortable with it, and that you'd love to send it if he pays the fees.

No need to stir up trouble for yourself, even though you haven't done anything ;)

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I have a buddy that is LEO in Cali and called him this morning. He said this kind of thing goes on all the time due to all of the rules and regs people have to go through to get a gun. He says you have to be fingerprinted on a biometric reader when you buy ammo now. I will send the guy an email back declining the offer.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Is this accurate? If so, ridiculous, wonder how long before it spreads to the rest of the states.
    afraid so
    http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/California-Ammo-Fingerprint-64455787.html
    The law requires firearms dealers and ammunition stores to keep a registry of their handgun ammunition sales -- including the identification and fingerprints of the buyers -- and make it available to law enforcement agencies starting February 2011. It also bans all mail-order and Internet sales of ammunition and reloading components.

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Hello? Mr. LSUFan? I'm Agent Gotcha of the California Bureau of ...

This is precisely why lots of folks do FTF and MANY won't ship to the People's Republic of Kali anymore.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Top Bottom