H reid "Katrina was nothing in comparison to Sandy"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    All I'm saying is this. After Katrina, I heard that some people in the northeast were saying things like "Why would they rebuild a place on the coast?" "Why would you build up something so close to water, knowing these things can happen?"

Yes, Sandy was bad. But personally, Katrina was worse.

That's all.

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    I agree with Reid

Most of the homes that were destroyed in Katrina were shacks.I'm not saying the people were poor or this or that,and I'm sure not saying those people were not as important in life as NY.The houses that were destroyed in NY and other states were multi million dollar homes.And yes I realize $1 their is $40 here.I think it was worse because the flooding was on a much farther span and the devastation was a much wider span.Katrina may have been worse in peoples minds and thoughts,but on paper sandy was way way worse.But everyone has an opinion ,right.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Had a friend that went through Katrina. Moved shortly after to New Jersey. Yep, got hit there also. Even HE said Katrina was way worse.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I agree with Reid

Most of the homes that were destroyed in Katrina were shacks.I'm not saying the people were poor or this or that,and I'm sure not saying those people were not as important in life as NY.The houses that were destroyed in NY and other states were multi million dollar homes.

What?

JR1572

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Saying it was worse is not the same as saying it was a more costly storm, I think there is simply one way to compare a storm and that's loss of life, the only important statistic. Clearly Katrina was worse but that is nothing people should brag about or even dare to compare.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    In what regard? Where can I see or hear the whole context of his remarks?
    He was trying to make a point about federal aid.
    In his Friday statement, Reid, a Nevada Democrat was making the point that the first $60 billion aid package for Hurricane Katrina passed Congress 10 days after the storm hit New Orleans, flooding 80 percent of the city when levees failed. But it was more than two months after Sandy hit heavily populated areas of New Jersey, New York and Connecticut that the House got around Friday to approving a $9.7 billion package, far less than the $60 billion package approved by the Senate and the $83 billion requested by the governors of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
    :)

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I agree with Reid

Most of the homes that were destroyed in Katrina were shacks.I'm not saying the people were poor or this or that,and I'm sure not saying those people were not as important in life as NY.The houses that were destroyed in NY and other states were multi million dollar homes.And yes I realize $1 their is $40 here.I think it was worse because the flooding was on a much farther span and the devastation was a much wider span.Katrina may have been worse in peoples minds and thoughts,but on paper sandy was way way worse.But everyone has an opinion ,right.

Katrina caused double the damage in $ and 1800+ deaths vs 120 for Sandy. In my mind and thoughts, and on paper Katrina was much worse.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Harry Reid is an ass. Reid's comment were a shot at the Republican controlled Houe of Reps. for delaying a vote on the Hurricane Sandy relief bill. The House approved the first part which funded FEMA to pay out claims for people WITH flood insurance. The second part which passed through the Senate was so packed with pork that the House wanted to debate the bill. It had money for fisheries in ALASKA and MISSISSIPPI. Millions for repairs to fed buildings which were not damaged in Sandy. And other pork barrel spending that always gets crammed into Bills. Apparently Reid thinks that as long as CHina will lend us the money they can pass anything.Here are the facts
    The Death toll was much higher,900 more lost in Katrina. Property damage from Katrina twice that of Sandy, 123Billion to 60 Billion.
    Number of displaced residents much higher after Katrina and FEMA claims filed by residents for Katrina higher than those filed for Sandy.
    He also claimed that 'We were down there within days" which is bull.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/hurricane-sandy-vs-katrina-infographic_n_2072432.html

My guess is that either A)Reid was out of touch with what happened in Katrina
    B)Thinks Americans are so stupid he can get away with saying anything
    C)Thinks you have to PASS a bill before you can read whats IN the bill (called the Pelosi principle)
    OR D)All of the above.

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    Katrina caused double the damage in $ and 1800+ deaths vs 120 for Sandy. In my mind and thoughts, and on paper Katrina was much worse.

Not sure where you got that information,but here are the real numbers for the property damages for both storms.

Total Property Damage from Hurricane Katrina's Storm Surge and Flood at $44 Billion
    total of $42.8 billion will be needed to cover *repairs and restoration for hurricane sandy.

And I'm still trying to fig out where the 44 billion of damage was.I went to NOLA right after Katrina.I seen devastation,but no where near no 44 billon.Are you sure they weren't trying to get a little extra to rebuild the stadium?

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I finally get some closure knowing that my house was only a shack and that the asshats in the northeast are far more important than us dumb southerners. I was in Waveland and the area by the beach is still mostly a wasteland 7 years later. My sister in-law went through Katrina in Waveland and she can tell you it was a nightmare. Why compare them?

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    I finally get some closure knowing that my house was only a shack and that the asshats in the northeast are far more important than us dumb southerners. I was in Waveland and the area by the beach is still mostly a wasteland 7 years later. My sister in-law went through Katrina in Waveland and she can tell you it was a nightmare. Why compare them?

I said most,meaning a higher majority were lower income housing.You know what I meant and you know i wasn't putting any one in a specific $ era.
    We already fought the north.Let s not go there again.Cant we all just eat some crawfishies and get along :)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Not sure where you got that information,but here are the real numbers for the property damages for both storms.

Total Property Damage from Hurricane Katrina's Storm Surge and Flood at $44 Billion
    total of $42.8 billion will be needed to cover *repairs and restoration for hurricane sandy.

And I'm still trying to fig out where the 44 billion of damage was.I went to NOLA right after Katrina.I seen devastation,but no where near no 44 billon.Are you sure they weren't trying to get a little extra to rebuild the stadium?

http://useconomy.about.com/od/grossdomesticproduct/f/katrina_damage.htm

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    I agree with Reid

Lakeview has a lot of shacks?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I said most,meaning a higher majority were lower income housing.You know what I meant and you know i wasn't putting any one in a specific $ era.
    We already fought the north.Let s not go there again.Cant we all just eat some crawfishies and get along :)

You will be able to eat crawfish when you get finished repeatedly shoving your feet in your mouth.

JR1572

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Most buildings lost in New Orleans were historical and appraised for more than your "typical" yankee homes. But to
    compare homes to homes. Even the "shacks" of new orleans were appraised
    higher due to where they are. It is also a tourist "area" which raises property values which directly effects the cost of that piece of land or home etc.
    Then when destroyed it would run up the damage totals... You getting this? Or maybe I'm just a shack dwelling southerner.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I agree with Reid

I am currently working in NJ as a Flood Adjuster.

YESTERDAY I was looking at properties on the other side of Brooklin.

I have spoken with many other adjusters who worked Katrina.

I was in new Orleans 2 days after Katrina.

You and Reid are WRONG.

End of story.

Sandy is NOTHING compared to Katrina...
    (I could give details, but why bother.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom