HA Rough Rider Fires Half Cock revisited

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrew2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2014
    Michigan
    I recently bought a used Heritage Rough Rider, that will drop the hammer when the trigger is pulled at the half cock position (as well as the rest of the hammer positions). For some time I thought that the gun was defective, and mine might be the only one with that defect, but today while Googling, I was led to this post in this very same forum, http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?41985-HA-Rough-Rider-Fires-Half-Cock where user Nail Gun states that his Rough Rider exhibits the same behavior. Unfortunately, for me, the rest of the thread went to 1911 half cock problems.

Does anyone else have a Rough Rider that acts this way? Is this a normal thing for them to do? The gun acts correctly in all other aspects, lock up etc., just that it releases on a notch that I wouldn't expect. Thanks for any input.

andrew2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2014
    Michigan
    You try calling HA? Seems like the obvious solution.

Yes sir, first thing I did. The pistol was shipped June 21, 2001 as a .22 LR only Rough Rider, 6.5 inch barrel with black pearl grips (along the way it has attained some pretty laminate grips, a mag cylinder, and lord knows what else). Upon further questioning, we discover that 2001 was the first year of production for the 2nd generation of the Rough Rider revolver, the 2nd generation involving changes to the frame, cylinder, hammer and trigger specs. Upon yet further questioning, regarding the make up of 2nd generation parts, and sub assemblies in this particular revolver, there were no warm fuzzy assurances forth coming that this particular piece contained only 2nd generation parts, and not, perhaps, some "hand crafted" re-purposed 1st generation parts. The hammer at the very least is not the same pattern as their current production hammer. After that, the answers fom HA get more guarded and non committal, as to weather it is functioning as designed.

So, while calling the manufacturer might seem to be the most obvious solution, it is by no means always so. That's what Google and 4 year old forum posts are for. :D

andrew2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2014
    Michigan
    I have one that I purchased new in 2008, model# RR22B6 and I just checked it and the trigger does drop the hammer as you described.

Thank you very much Robertn. It took me 2 weeks to find anyone willing to check one of theirs for me. You saved me at least the cost and time of buying and trying to fit a new hammer to my RR, and also eased my mind a bit that the seller of the gun had messed it up, and didn't other mentioning it when he sold it. It is appreciated.

Knowing that other RR's do the same thing dosn't make it correct, but at least I can stop banging my head against the wall thinking mine is the only one like it out there.

andrew2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2014
    Michigan
    Does it have a transfer bar that stops the hammer from hitting the firing pin unless the trigger is held down?

It has a hammer block safety, but it's not a transfer bar. With the hammer block safety on, it seems that it is as safe as can be expected from such a design.

Also, I was wrong about it dropping at all notches, it actually locks up solid at the first notch click, which was formerly called the "safety" notch, but it definitely will let off, with some pressure, at the 2nd loading notch, 3rd whatever notch, and of course the full cock notch. It seems to be a crappy design, but I am not interested enough in single action .22s to spring for a high end Ruger, or similar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom