Had a oh crap moment last night, need opinions pics uploaded

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    were these reloads? my theory is the shot was overcharged, slide action was fast and violent, causing fresh round to slam into chamber. then, as slide seemed stuck, you forced it open, separating bullet, somewhat grabbed into the rifling, from the case, spilling unburnt powder into chamber and giving you a case with an undischarged primer and a bullet stuck in the chamber.

or.....your OAL was to long, causing the shot to fire out of battery, giving a big bang, flash, and fresh round slamming into chamber, doing as described above, getting stuck in the rifling because it is to long.

When I first started loading lead bullets in my g19 (I don't want to start this argument) I set OAL as I had in my 1911. After a hundred rounds or so, a small ring of lead would build up where the chamber ended, causing the fresh round to stop before the slide went into battery. Being a glock, it would not fire, and I would have to slam the slide open by hand, finding a chamber full of unburnt powder, a bullet stuck in the end of the chamber, and a case with an unfired primer ejecting.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    sorry, reread your post. I go with my second theory. WWB ammo was out of spec, or something is out of spec with your gun, causing an out of battery discharge. slide went forward and set round off out of battery. big flash, numb hands, bullet leaves barrel, Slide went back, ejected case, then stripped fresh round hard into chamber. bullet was stuck in rifling, so you had to force slide open, separating bullet from case. You are left with a bullet stuck in chamber, chamber full of powder, and a case with an unfired primer.

I would send the box of ammo back if you are sure it is WWB (bought from a store), or, if bought from an individual, I would suspect a possible reload bait and switch. Also have you gun looked at by a gunsmith to make sure everything is in spec. If ammo was bought from an individual, examine the case for old extractor marks, ect. I had a friend who bought boxed ammo at a gunshow and had an overpressure shot which blew the mag out the bottom of his gun. he brought the ammo to me, and after taking it apart found different powders in the bullets form the same box, and the OAL was all over the place, the case rim was marked from extractors from multiple uses. This ammo was sold to him as new factory ammo. It can happen.

Glad you are ok, but this is a good reminder for everyone to have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when loading. Good on you for following that safety rule, as you never know what can happen. Seems like the possibility was there for the next round to slam fire as well, that would have been most interesting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom