Hand loads for concealed carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    Heard the reason why you should not conceal carry with hand loaded ammo. SHTF and an aggressor is shot, maimed or killed. Survivor and or family lawyers up and sues claiming the hand loads were purposely hand made more dangerous than factory ammo and their loved one never stood a chance as a result.

I think this is a bogus argument and outright silly. Any hand loader or manufacturer of bullets builds them to exit the barrel with enough energy for the purpose they were designed. Light loads/heavy lads, round nose or hollow points will do the deed.

So to the question:'anyone have personal or anecdotal information for or against this argument?

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    There are actually a few cases, but it wasn't because of handloads per say.

One case I recall shooter put mercury in a hollow point.
    Rat poison in shotgun shell.
    And the best for last garlic in a hollow point.

I don't think any of them would have been a clean shoot in any case.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Urban legend. No lawyer has made that argument in a case. If you put something other than powder, primer, and bullet in a case and that is the cause of death it could be a problem. If you point the gun and pull the trigger it is already an intentional act so it's almost irrelevant. Also, I can't see a lawyer wanting to open that can of worms in a courtroom. Think about the defense, "...obviously if he intended to kill the man he would have shot him with the 454 Casull instead of the 9mm." or maybe "...obviously if he intended to kill the man he would have shot him 4 times instead of one time." It might work if you had a really-really bad lawyer. IMHO

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Al Capone days right there.
    Supposedly the mercury would make a larger hole on impact not to mention it's toxic!

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I remember a case back in the early 70's down in South Florida. Home invasion, home owner shot the BG a couple of times with a 357. District Attorney made a big deal that the home owner 1, used hollow points 2, fired multiple times 3, used a firearm so powerful the rounds went through the BG and interior walls there by endangering others 4, opened fire instead of escaping out the back door when he had the chance. Home owner was convicted of manslaughter & went to prison.

At least now most states (we) have the Castle Doctrine!

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I would be interested to see how someone could distinguish between "handloaded" and "factory loaded" ammunition used in a self defense shooting..

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I would be interested to see how someone could distinguish between "handloaded" and "factory loaded" ammunition used in a self defense shooting..

I think the LA. State Police Crime Lab would be able to tell the difference.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Any of these brands which have been proven by LEA's should be GTG.
    Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, Critical Duty, Golden Saber.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    These kinds of things make me crazy. If I use deadly force on someone or something, it makes no difference to me if I kill them or not my goal is to neutralize or contain said threat. I will excercise deadly force continiously until the threat no is longer willing or physically able to be a threat. It doesnt matter if my protective tool of choice is a gun, a knife, or a hammer. Bottom line my goal is to stop the engagement as quickly as I can. If someone wants to call it excessive they can lick my taint. The only fear I would have from handloading if I knew how would be most of us carry small light weight polymer guns, and if you make it too hot, the gun may become unreliable or even difficult to shoot. I would hate to get in a gun fight period but if I did end up in one and my gun malfuntioned because I was pushing the envelope on power it would likely not end well for me.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

I doubt rat poison in such a small dosage would have any added effects. And would mercury poisoning be any worse than lead poisoning? I suppose the mercury would be tougher to remove.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom