Handgun Competition--Your thoughts please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinjaAnn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I currently sell firearms at Cabelas in Gonzales and in the two years I have been there i have only encountered one customer other than my father that was purchasing or shopping for competition shouting. Furthermore this customer ,who was buying a NEO for his son, had never heard of silhouette competitions. He and his son shot paper targets. I think the biggest problem is people do not know this sport exists as a competition, much less as one so close to home for their access.

Last edited:

NinjaAnn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    No one knows about it. On top of that if someone were looking for information on the Gonzales silhouette competitions they would be out of luck. It is virtually impossible to wade through all the ihmsa forums, sites, and pages to find one little blurb about this specific location. Had my father not gotten an email from a buddy who was a lifelong member of this shooting group, we would not know about the coming match on Feb 1. There should be easier access to this information whether online with a personal site or a facebook page or by flier in a Firearms distributor. Along with basic information there should be some way to let people know that there is no requirement or need for a specialized or personalized weapon. I think many shooters assume it will be too expensive to buy the gun, ammo, etc for competition shooting. This also affects the issue of confidence. Shooters do not think they will do well especially without some sort of special firearm. Ammo is no longer an issue as it has returned to the shelf and is no longer rationed.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    No one knows about it. On top of that if someone were looking for information on the Gonzales silhouette competitions they would be out of luck. It is virtually impossible to wade through all the ihmsa forums, sites, and pages to find one little blurb about this specific location. Had my father not gotten an email from a buddy who was a lifelong member of this shooting group, we would not know about the coming match on Feb 1. There should be easier access to this information whether online with a personal site or a facebook page or by flier in a Firearms distributor. Along with basic information there should be some way to let people know that there is no requirement or need for a specialized or personalized weapon. I think many shooters assume it will be too expensive to buy the gun, ammo, etc for competition shooting. This also affects the issue of confidence. Shooters do not think they will do well especially without some sort of special firearm. Ammo is no longer an issue as it has returned to the shelf and is no longer rationed.

Thanks for your comments NinjaAnn. There has been a lot of discussion inside our organization about "getting the word out" but not much is being done on the national level. I, for my part as a Match Director, listed information about our matches here monthly for about 2 years. We also for a period of time had a listing on the "Outdoors" page of the Sunday Advocate under "Upcoming Events". I also authored and had published an article with photos in the Louisiana Shooters Association publication. Through all that, I attracted only a small handful of new shooters and only one still competes occasionally. I have given this situation a lot of thought over several years as I have seen our participation dwindle. Many of the answers lie in the preceding responses to my original post in this thread. Our shooting discipline has little appeal to the average current shooting enthusiast. The fast action, high volume of fire sports garner far more favor. Historically the handgun has been looked upon as a strictly close range weapon only. The thought of shooting a handgun beyond the distance you can throw one is just not seen as a remote possibility. I have had many hundreds of face to face conversations with "shooters" over a period of 35 years and when I describe what we do the universal response is "YOU SHOOT A HANDGUN HOW FAR?????"......followed by a dismissive look of disbelief. Obviously, there are exceptions as many here can attest. People do hunt with handguns and several people mention that sport here. But among people interested in competition with a handgun, silhouette seems to holds little appeal. I don't have the answer to change any of this.
    Let me add that if anyone reading this may have any interest in handgun silhouette, please come out and give it a try. We have categories for virtually any type 22LR handgun. You can shoot offhand, prone, or even from sandbags or bipod. You can use iron sights or optics.There are many different classes based on skill level. When you get right down to it, it's really just about your own personal achievement and building your own skills. You can take the position that the only person you are competing with is yourself and pushing the envelope as far as you can. I started with a fixed sight 6" Colt Huntsman and advanced to AAA class with it (I had much younger eyes then). Our 2015 schedule is as follows.

February 1
    March 1
    April 4
    May 3
    June 7
    July 5
    August 2
    September 12
    October 3 and 4 – State Championship

Location is the Ascension Sheriff's range in Gonzales. Shooting starts at 9:00AM, weather permitting and we continue to accept entries till around lunch time.

Ann, please come pay us a visit. It will be great to have you.

awco4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Slidell, LA
    In short I agree with NinjaAnn...my thread just above this one is a short example of my issues as a new wannabe casual competitor. I could ramble on this subject forever but will try to keep it shortish.

Now keep in mind that I'm a relative noob. Not to guns, but to serious shooting. I could be completely wrong in my opinions. If so, I welcome feedback.

Seems to me, the hot shooting sports now are 3 gun, IDPA, etc....I've watched a few events. Mostly filled with young hotshots with awesome and expensive firearms, accessories. How many magazines do I really need for IDPA? These sports are not noob friendly. I don't care what the more experienced shooters say. I'm a prime example of a guy who loves guns, loves reloading, loves shooting. I would love to get my 2 pre teen daughters shooting more. I would love to get them into Silhouette. They want to shoot more.

For a middle aged, middle class guy, my opinion is: Competitive shooting is not easy to get into. 3 gun, IDPA and the like are intimidating to someone who wants to just get out for some casual fun. Bring the kids. Too much $ needs to be invested. Too much equipment.

You want to get shooting comps popular? Get kids involved. Promote events that kids and parents can enjoy together. If I left my wife with the kids every weekend while I drove around the state, spending money and time on myself, by myself, shooting and having fun (3 gun, IDPA, USPSA) those days wouldn't last long. If I took the kids with me? That's another story!!! Promote rimfire, air rifle, rimfire bullseye, rimfire sporting rifle, silhouette. You want to get the anti-gunners on their heels? Make shooting fun for the family. Follow the lead of every other family sport/activity today: Soccer, softball, dance, gymnastics, karate, etc......It will do so many positive things for us and our sport. Find ways to make the shooting sports mainstream. Use local TV and radio media to promote events. I was raised by a typical liberal who hated guns. I wasn't allowed to have a BB gun. Got my first shotgun at 16 and been in love since. These people are afraid of guns and the people that like them. They're ignorant. If you make the shooting sports more commonplace, fear will subside in some.

If I had my way, and range, and a little $, I'd start the SYSC (Slidell Youth Shooting Club). Basically just copy the soccer and softball leagues. I'd promote rimfire and air pistol/rifle. I'd set up teams, coaches, tournaments, leagues of different age groups, have parent/child teams, etc......Anyone doing this?

This random posting of randomly planned events won't ever get masses of people involved. That 3rd Sat. event people planned 2 random months from now is going to be mostly ignored because of family commitments to soccer/softball/basketball/baseball/volleyball/dance season.

awco4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Slidell, LA
    After re-reading the previous responses, I'm curious.

What is the average age of a competitor at a 3 gun/USPSA/IDPA event? Are they married? Have kids? If single and no kids, born after 1980 (raised by Playstation), my guess is those guys are running and gunning. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they won't be interested in anything slow paced for years. Guys like me, 46, construction worker, kids, married, joints starting to creak frequently......I'm running only if I absolutely have to.

Am I way off here?

Another question....I don't know the hotspots in the US for slower paced comps. Are there any left? If so, have you contacted those local clubs? How do they promote the sport?

I like this thread and look forward to future posts!

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville

What is the average age of a competitor at a 3 gun/USPSA/IDPA event? Are they married? Have kids? If single and no kids, born after 1980 (raised by Playstation), my guess is those guys are running and gunning. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they won't be interested in anything slow paced for years. Guys like me, 46, construction worker, kids, married, joints starting to creak frequently......I'm running only if I absolutely have to.

Am I way off here?

Another question....I don't know the hotspots in the US for slower paced comps. Are there any left? If so, have you contacted those local clubs? How do they promote the sport?

Handgun silhouette is exactly what you are looking for. It is a much slower pace than all the action games (2 minutes to fire 5 shots) since it is more of an accuracy game. 22LR handgun silhouette was originally formed to cater to children and the ladies. We have had several father and child duos visit our range. They usually made it a competition within a competition. The investment needed to get started is small. Ammunition cost is below most of the action games. Most of the long term shooters in this sport have moved up to more exotic and expensive guns, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to. We have a category for any style handgun and you will not be pitted against someone with a much better gun. This game should not be considered in those terms anyway. For many years I have used it to set personal goals and my enjoyment is in trying to better myself. I could care less if I "win" or not. It is a casual pace with a lot of time to interact with the other shooters and the only pressure is that which you put on yourself.

Come see us.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    The CMP has been looking closely at pistol competitions and seen some of the same things you are seeing - decline in participation (for whatever reasons). They've chosen to change their rules somewhat, best explained on their website at http://thecmp.org/cmp-pistol-program-rule-changes-for-2015/. I'm not sure if this is too little too late, or if it might actually revive this particular discipline.

All this to illustrate that possibly it might be better to rethink the current competitions and make changes, rather than just advertising as-is. It is regrettable that we must often change or be left behind....

awco4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Slidell, LA
    I agree with Blackhawk as well. I assume that with all the distractions and different activities in today's US society, changes and adjustments can be good and necessary.

Most parents my age seem to be completely controlled by work, homework, & kid's extracurricular activities. Very little time for themselves. I think that one way hunting & fishing survive for parents is that they just start taking the kids with them.
    I'd love to see shooting evolve and grow like that.

hs40- I plan on joining y'all at some point soon.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy

Am I way off here?

All of the shooting sports are family oriented, many have their sons/daughters or grandchildren involved.

It is quite the misconception that one has to have highly specialized equipment in USPSA or IDPA or even Steel Challenge events to be competitive. In USPSA it is Production division or Single Stack that one can be quite competitive with an out of the box pistol. In IDPA, SSP (Stock Service Pistol), all that is needed to compete is a serviceable handgun 9mm or larger in caliber, a holster and three magazines. IDPA, while it does often require movement it is not quite the run and gun that USPSA is.
    In Steel Challenge matches, locally it is Lafourche Steel Shooters which hold a Steel match on the second Saturday of each month, no movement required....stand and shoot. LSS they have a 22 rimfire division as well.
    Go to www.lagator.org they have a listing of most of the action shooting sports in our area (Nola/BR) Find the time to visit one or all of the matches to see first hand what is involved, spectators are always welcome (bring eye and ear protection for everyone).
    Whichever sport you choose it is always the indian and not the bow.
    If you want more info call me 225 324 4501

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Guys like me, 46, construction worker, kids, married, joints starting to creak frequently......I'm running only if I absolutely have to.

Am I way off here?

I'm in the same boat. I have a young family that dominates most of my free time. Two kids in private school, that takes care of most of the budget. As much as I like participating, there just isn't a lot of extra time or money to devote to shooting sports right now. That said, I really enjoy silhouette shooting have been going to the handgun matches for about 6 yrs or so and trying to get the rifle silhouette matches more often. It's a very easy going group of people. They're not equipment-intensive disciplines so you can compete at a high level with relatively inexpensive gear. It's definitely worth a trip to see what it's all about.

All in all, everybody has to find what types of shooting fits them best. I've shot a number of different disciplines and each one teaches something different. The best thing to do is to go out and see what they're about and over time we settle in to the ones that are the best fit.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Where do the adult beginners start? Apologies if there's already a thread.

We are scheduled to have a handgun silhouette match this coming Sunday, March 1st at the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office range in Gonzales, weather permitting. First gun goes to the line at 9:00. You don't have to be there at nine because you can start an entry anytime until we close out the match. If you have a 22LR handgun, bring it and perhaps 100 rounds and we'll get you started. For newcomers, the first entry is free. Oh, and eye and ear protection is needed.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    In short I agree with NinjaAnn...my thread just above this one is a short example of my issues as a new wannabe casual competitor. I could ramble on this subject forever but will try to keep it shortish.

Now keep in mind that I'm a relative noob. Not to guns, but to serious shooting. I could be completely wrong in my opinions. If so, I welcome feedback.

Seems to me, the hot shooting sports now are 3 gun, IDPA, etc....I've watched a few events. Mostly filled with young hotshots with awesome and expensive firearms, accessories. How many magazines do I really need for IDPA? These sports are not noob friendly. I don't care what the more experienced shooters say. I'm a prime example of a guy who loves guns, loves reloading, loves shooting. I would love to get my 2 pre teen daughters shooting more. I would love to get them into Silhouette. They want to shoot more.

For a middle aged, middle class guy, my opinion is: Competitive shooting is not easy to get into. 3 gun, IDPA and the like are intimidating to someone who wants to just get out for some casual fun. Bring the kids. Too much $ needs to be invested. Too much equipment.

You want to get shooting comps popular? Get kids involved. Promote events that kids and parents can enjoy together. If I left my wife with the kids every weekend while I drove around the state, spending money and time on myself, by myself, shooting and having fun (3 gun, IDPA, USPSA) those days wouldn't last long. If I took the kids with me? That's another story!!! Promote rimfire, air rifle, rimfire bullseye, rimfire sporting rifle, silhouette. You want to get the anti-gunners on their heels? Make shooting fun for the family. Follow the lead of every other family sport/activity today: Soccer, softball, dance, gymnastics, karate, etc......It will do so many positive things for us and our sport. Find ways to make the shooting sports mainstream. Use local TV and radio media to promote events. I was raised by a typical liberal who hated guns. I wasn't allowed to have a BB gun. Got my first shotgun at 16 and been in love since. These people are afraid of guns and the people that like them. They're ignorant. If you make the shooting sports more commonplace, fear will subside in some.

If I had my way, and range, and a little $, I'd start the SYSC (Slidell Youth Shooting Club). Basically just copy the soccer and softball leagues. I'd promote rimfire and air pistol/rifle. I'd set up teams, coaches, tournaments, leagues of different age groups, have parent/child teams, etc......Anyone doing this?

This random posting of randomly planned events won't ever get masses of people involved. That 3rd Sat. event people planned 2 random months from now is going to be mostly ignored because of family commitments to soccer/softball/basketball/baseball/volleyball/dance season.

I have a couple of thoughts on being a middle aged newb as I am one as well.

46 now and shot my first match 3 years ago. Wanted to for some time and finally decided to get over shooting in front of people and went to a USPSA match. Now I agree that depending on where you go it can be welcoming or not so warm and friendly. My USPSA experience was so-so. Mostly 20-30ish people with more race gun type gear. Most of them knew each other and I was kind of left to myself. (Not like I was a total dweeb on the gun either. Beat a number of people in production and very aware of safety, etc).

I went from there to an IDPA match. Much more laid back and went out their way to show me around and make me feel welcome. As for "running and gunning", you did have to move in the match, but it was not demanding and was based on what you could do. There was a 60ish woman there who was overweight and arthritic. There was a stage where you were to run to a barrel and kneel for cover as you engaged. She told the director, "I can't run, and if I kneel down you'll have to help me up." He told her to walk if she wanted and just shoot from behind the barrel. She seemed to have a great time!. I am sure state, regional, or national matches are a different deal, but at the handful of local matches I have been to this was the common theme. As for equipment, all I had was a police buy back Glock, a Fobus, and a dual mag pouch. Less than $500 all in total. As for time, I'm in this for fun. I have made 3-4 matches per year and have gone to a couple of tactical courses mixed in. Would love to go every weekend, but I'm feeling you about work and kids, etc. limiting what you can do!

Now you mentioned that parents are run ragged taking kids to sports and other extra curricular stuff, but talk about starting the SYSC. Isn't that adding to the extracurriculars? I totally understand what you are saying, but there is only so much you can do with your time. There are Appleseed events that are geared to kids. My 13 year old daughter kept the score sheets when she went to her first IDPA match with me last fall. (She shoots with me, but isn't ready to try a match yet) There are things out there, you just have to decide to go out and give it a try before you give up on it all!

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Folks,

You put as much into matches as you want. I've been shooting since the late 80's. We are always looking for new shooters. Yep, I shoot USPSA/Multi-Gun. I can't tell how many times I've put postings on Bayou Shooter letting folks know of matches. Equipment is what you have or can afford. Let's face it, no this is not a cheap sport but neither is golf if you wanna play at the Masters. Like Donnie said, we have .22 rimfire matches they shoot on steel plates. Kids love these as it's easy for them and about as inexpensive as it gets. Look at "Lagator.org" for more information on these matches. There are 2 nights where we practice USPSA style shooting, Monday & Wednesday at The Range in Baker.
    Sorry if you went to a match and they didn't welcome you with open arms. Don't know what happened but try EAPS this month on the 3rd Sunday and ask to be squaded with me. Need equipment then send me a PM and I'll work with you to make sure you have what you need.

Beauxdog

Top Bottom