Handgun Hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    I have not done it yet, but high on my to-do list for the 2012 hunting season. (Not sure what cal. to go with) last year I almost bought a raging bull 454 casull. Ive also had my mind on the 460 S&W magnum (I like the multi-cal option of the gun). One of my good friends told me he's thinking of hunting with a 10mm this coming year. He has a buddy that got him on the 10mm kick after taking some hogs and a doe with a 460 rowland (so I hear, havent see pics the pics yet lol). I would greatly appreciate any comments, stories, helpful info, and guns for sale for handgun hunting if available. Thank you!

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can't help you with wheelguns since I hunt with Contenders/Encores, but something like a 44 magnum has long been a top choice for handgun hunters and there's lots ammo options available for it. You don't want to get something with recoil that's too stiff to begin with because practice is important. Powerful hunting handguns aren't the kind of weapon where you squeeze off a few rounds at the range and then say ok I'm ready hunt. It's more like bowhunting in the sense that you want to stay practiced with them at the distances you're going to hunting.

Edit...Forgot to add a pic of the deer I took this year with a 357 Herrett. He went 195#.
    Deer6-1.jpg

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    My young friend Win1917 is correct. Remember, "Muzzle energy is deadly but accuracy is fatal" I have many handguns that have taken deer. On the lighter side, my 357 Mag with 158 gr HP....the deer only ran 25 yards. I've also taken deer with a couple of different 44 Mags with good results. I now also hunt with Contenders and also XP100s with my top choice being a 35 Remington XP. So my personal list of successful hunts have been with.......
    357 Mag
    44 Mag
    30 Herrett
    7 TCU
    7X30 Waters
    35 Remington
    The main point to be taken is, accurate bullet placement is the key factor. The 454 or 460 will do you no good if you can't place the bullet. Practice, practice, and then practice some more. Exercise good discipline and don't take low percentage shots. Stay within what you know to be your personal limits and don't take a risky shot just so you can say you have a handgun kill.
    With patience and dedication it will come.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I agree with the above. Deer aren't that hard to kill.

I think .357 Magnum is plenty of gun for Whitetail, but if you need an excuse for .44 Mag, that's good too. The key is being accurate at any distance you plan to hunt at. Stay practiced.

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins

I think .357 Magnum is plenty of gun for Whitetail, but if you need an excuse for .44 Mag, that's good too. The key is being accurate at any distance you plan to hunt at. Stay practiced.
    What kinda distance for deer would be acceptable with a 357? Surely with the longest barrel possible and shorter distance than bow hunting. ?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    What kinda distance for deer would be acceptable with a 357? Surely with the longest barrel possible and shorter distance than bow hunting. ?

That depends on how far you can hit with a bow. An 8" 357 with optics(not the longest possible) in the right hands is capable out past 75 or even 100 yards.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Awesome info guys thanks and keep it coming. I have shot 454 casull as well as the .460S&W magnum. I have been eye balling the 44mag, and never thought much about the .357 mag. Lost of food for thought.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You would defecate if you saw the kind of ballistics I get out of my Freedom Arms 9" .357 with a 180 gr bullet. It is a lot more than a 100 yard deer killer. That being said, when I am serious about killing something with a pistol, I take my 6.5 JDJ Contender. A deer or hog is not safe a long way off with that thing.

Win 1917, you going old school with that .357 Herrett? My first serious hunting handgun was a .30 Herrett Contender. Those two cartridges were the **** when they came out 35 years ago. :)

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

I wouldn't say the .357 is plenty of gun for whitetail. Most .357s are adequate for deer if you shoot heavy loads and select your bullets well. I would keep ranges fairly short (50 yards). Heavy framed revolvers with stout handloads are an exception to this rule.

As always, shot placement is everything.

Dan

Dr Elliot

Breeder of Deer Dogs
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Metairie
    I also believe the .357 would be marginal much past 50 yards. Before any body fusses, I can say that I have knocked down steel Ram silhouettes in IHMSA competition at 200 meters (220 yards) with a 8" 357 Dan Wesson, but I knew the exact distance and had to figure in lots of drop. I have established sight settings for all of my silhouette guns at 50, 100, 250 and 200 meters. Why risk being under-powered? I have taken several deer out to 75 yds with an iron sight 10" Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum. But understand all kills past 40 yards were from a solid rest. BTW did I mention silhouette shooting out to 220 yards for practice? For serious handgun hunting, like carrying only a pistol into the woods, you can get near rifle performance and great accuracy with the likes of Contenders, Encores, XP's, etc. My farthest handgun kill was at 125 yds with an iron sight 15" Contender chambered in 7mm TCU.

Remember that in hunting, you don't get extra points for "light tackle".

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Win 1917, you going old school with that .357 Herrett?

Yep :cool:, I've really taken a liking to 10" barreled Contenders for hunting so that took me towards the older rounds. I also read a book "Hunting for Handgunners" by JD Jones and Larry Kelly where they talk at length about the history of handgun hunting so that also generated an interest in some of the earlier high performance rounds. I've only been doing this for a few years so it's been fun learning about these old wildcats.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Yep :cool:, I've really taken a liking to 10" barreled Contenders for hunting so that took me towards the older rounds. I also read a book "Hunting for Handgunners" by JD Jones and Larry Kelly where they talk at length about the history of handgun hunting so that also generated an interest in some of the earlier high performance rounds. I've only been doing this for a few years so it's been fun learning about these old wildcats.

That brings back some memories. I have hunted with Larry Kelly. I may still have a coupon or two for a magnaport job written on the back of Larry's business cards. Last time I saw his son at SHOT, he said they would still honor them. Back when I was seriously hunting with a handgun, I also hunted with Bill Jordon (the Border Patrolman) and Sheriff Jim Wilson among other notables. Those guys were a hoot around the camp.

With respect to the .357, the only one that I have hunted with is the FA 353. You can drive a 180 gr bullet 1650 fps with it which is a surprisingly good killer.

Dan

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 (has a 2x or 4x scope can't remember) that was given to me by my grandfather and it has some excellent stories to accompany it.

Needless to say it has handled a few deer and some hogs.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Back when I was seriously hunting with a handgun, I also hunted with Bill Jordon (the Border Patrolman) and Sheriff Jim Wilson among other notables. Those guys were a hoot around the camp.

Dan

I also met and spoke with Sheriff Jim Wilson and, I can believe he is a real hoot at camp. He is a great guy and a master story teller.

101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    I hunt a lot (squirrel and deer) with handguns. For deer, I would consider the .41 or .44 Magunums. With the exception of the bolt action pistols, the wrist cannons like the .460 will become a source of displeasure shooting them and you will not shoot them as often....ie. you will not learn what your gun will do at what distances and you will not get the accuracy you need. Just a little flinch with that short barrel will result in a flashlight with dead batteries...lot of looking after dark.

Even with the 41 or 44, I highly recommend a pair of Uncle Mikes shooting gloves. They are comfortable, fingerless with gel packs in palm. I also like a low magnification scope. Mine wear a 1.5-5. Leopold and Burris make excellent scopes for pistols.

Like someone said above, borrow one to shoot it to see if you like it. Nothing is cooler than taking a pistol into the woods. Be prepared to be called crazy. I was called that until the first shot. Pop/flop on a mature doe at 99 steps and I called the critics to come load it.

One final thought....not necessarily a suggestion because others may dispute it....but as for me, I have pistol stands or stands that i go to with my pistol and those I do not. First, i want to be able to rest my arms for a good shot. Second, I do not want a stand that offers 300 yard shots that tempt and frustrate me when a nice shooter buck can steep out at 250 yards. My self imposed limit is 100 yards which I have flagged. I have 50 and 100 yard survey flags at my pistol stands. I find it easier than using a rangefinder every trip. It also allows me to go to the stands in the summer and set up targets to build confidence.

P.S. The Hornady Everlevers work fine but i prefer the hotter Buffalo Bore and Grizzlies.

Good luck...post pics when you connect.

Jon

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    That brings back some memories. I have hunted with Larry Kelly.

That's something you don't hear everyday!! What an experience that must've been. Admittedly when he passed I only knew of him as "the magna port guy". After reading that book he co-authored I realized how much he had contributed to the world of handguns and handgun hunting.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I will tell you this ,you definately should consider sticking with the .357, 41,or the 44....I recently bought the .460 with the standard 8.5'' barrel. I never shot one before my purchase and ASSumed that the recoil wouldnt be that bad.....I gotta tell ya I was very surprised...I've owned a 44 for 25 yrs and taken deer up to 125 yrds.no prob., but I've put in a lot of practice with it also....I took the .460 to the range and started with the .454 300 gr rnd.......WOW....after 10 punishing rnds. Went to the .460,double double damn WOW WOW...this thing is punishing,take some gettin use to...wrapped my wrist before I shoot and put a scope on it to weigh it down some ,it helped a lot...and may I suggest with the .460, some shooting sticks if you use a scope.....best advice is to go with the above mentioned !!!

Top Bottom