handgun pictures thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    :cool:

fg4x15z09hb9lgr86ou5.jpg

bylarz2l0mdp0o22anh.jpg

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No Semi-autos Here

NOT ONE of the pistols pictured below is a semi-automatic! Every one of these is a Single-Shot! They were designed that way.

SINGLESHOTSLOOKALIKEWITHAUTOS006_ed.jpg

Left to right they are: Fiala Model 1920; Hartford Arms Co.; Sheridan Knocabout; WAMO Powermaster; S-M Sporter, and Stevens Mdl. 10. ALL are .22rf, single-shot, and were ALL made in the USA.

Fiala and Hartford were both designed by Lucius Diehm. Sheridan (that IS the correct spelling of Knocabout) and WAMO (also Wham-O) are both better known for their air guns and toys. S-M was a "one-year-wonder" in the '50s - about 600 made. And Steven was that company's attempt to break in to the high falootin' single-shot crowd so popular back in the '20s and '30s.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This was my first one.

100_2324Small.jpg

This was #2

100_2640Small.jpg

This #3

100_2418Small.jpg

I don't have any pictures on the newer ones.

And no the first one wasn't my EDC.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Man, FFF - you still never cease to impress me. I remember drooling over those mossberg brownies you had on here ages ago. You have a collection that one could only dream of.

Don't think I'm criticizing your if these all happen to be safe queens, but have you ever shot any of these guns? Are the all in working order? I would love to see how the handling and tooling of the firearm mechanism has advanced over the years........

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They work!

Quickdraw22, thanks for the kind words. You mention the Brownies photo. I just went back and replaced the missing photo there. I had switched albums and it left a blank hole there for a while.

Yes, they're all in working condition. As far as shooting them, in a way they ARE all "Safe Queens." I have too many modern guns around here to take a chance on screwing up an historic artifact. I consider ALL of my collectible weapons as my wards for only a short while. I am their caretaker, protecting them for future generations to enjoy when I'm gone.

They are the story of gunmaking in our country, etched in steel and wood. They don't REALLY belong to me. They aren't "Safe Queens" either, because I find little enjoyment in simply saying I own a gun. I want to KNOW the gun. I study them, research them and learn all I can about them. They are all out where I can see them and handle them at any time.

Age and health prevent me from going to the range, or constantly run to gun shows as I once did. Cruising the gun and pawn shops is no longer a viable option for me. I now do all my buying and research on the Net.

And it is fascinating to observe the changes in the mechanisms involved. I'm constantly amazed at what the guys back then were able to accomplish with the tools they had.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    FFF -

Wait...... so you DO or DON'T shoot them :D:D

Just kidding. My oldest "shooter" is an old Remington 34 Bolt Action/Tube Feed that was an absolutely trashed beater rifle that I got in trade for helping a guy do a tune up on his Jeep. The finish was at 0% and the "translator" (The stupid little hook thing that lets only one round out of the tube at a time) was broken. Rust pits covered the gun, and you couldn't even distinguish the roll marks on the barrel and receiver!!

I tore the gun completely down, and started out with 440 grit sand paper just to knock the little "rust/crust" layer off. I then advanced to 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and then stopped at 0000 Steel Wool. Since I'm on a poor college kid budget, and just cheap in general, I decided to invest $3 in some high quality cold blue instead of spending $120ish to hot blue a rifle that's worth $50.

The outcome was surprisingly beautiful. Although it's not "show quality", and there are still some dark spots I couldn't work out, it looks 10000x better than it did before.

Although the trigger is as crisp as that of a powerdrill or jackhammer, I still enjoy taking it to the range to pop some cans at 100 yards. After the effort and time I put into it, I actually am more proud to carry this than any other gun I've got - even though you've got to load the shells one shot at a time.

Not criticizing you, but I get a certain sense of humbleness/nostalgia when I shoot something that's leaps and bounds older than me. Just because it's old doesn't mean that you should never experience it in fear of it failing or breaking. If you don't shoot it, who will??

Not meaning to harp, but go have some fun!! You deserve it with such an awesome collection of neat little guns!! In the words of my father "If you treat your guns well, they will treat you well".

Oh yeah, sorry for getting terribly off topic in the handgun picture thread. I can go from pistols, to rifle refinishing, to my soapbox, and come back to mother earth without noticing I ever left :rofl:

DAVE

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Think about it...

Quickdraw22, when you've fired as many different guns over your already past 60+ years, and get as physically challenged as I have, you may think a bit differently.

And I've handled too many old historic treasures which had been absolutely destroyed by people firing them. Handled a lot of them but I've only owned two damaged ones. Back in '51 when a guy gave me an old Colt Single Action Army 38/40 with the top strap blown away at the rear from some clown using modern hi-vel ammo in it. Of course the fact that its serial number showed it to be a black powder era gun didn't bother whoever fired it.

And recently I got rid of an absolutely beautiful old Brownie with blown-out chambers from the same cause. These old timers weren't intended to house explosives twice as potent as what was available back then. Like I said, why tke a chance?

I'm curious if either of those shooters may have lost an eye or ??? Ain't worth it to me. Think about it. You lose your investment, an artifact is destroyed, and you may even injure or lose some useful body part.

If I was able to quit smoking, cold turkey, 15 years ago, I can certainly refrain from shooting this old iron.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    FFF -

Haha, Didn't think about all of those years shooting. I guess since I'm young, I want to experience all of the flavors.

It is a shame that some guns get ruined because of user error, but I wouldn't have seen any harm in shooting a .22 :confused: Especially in sub-sonic form, it's such a low pressure round, I wouldn't think it would have enough "umph" to do any damage...... Also - what do you mean by "blown out chambers"? Did they bulge?

Also, I like how you said: "and you may even injure or lose some useful body part." What body parts AREN'T useful :rofl::rofl:

Anyways, I hope whatever has you down goes away so you can make it out to the range a few more times.

DAVE

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom