handgun recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Might look at a Beretta Bobcat/Tomcat. Never owned one or shot one but the flip up barrel and possible low recoil might be good for him.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If a revolver is chosen, look into a set of performance springs for it to lower the trigger pull weight.

I have seen older people that could not pull the trigger on a revolver so that would be a concern. Take him where he is allowed to handle and dry fire several guns before he buys a gun he can not shoot. Someone should also assist him in learning his gun and how to shoot safely.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Shaking that much do we really want him firing a pistol in public? I know I would not want to be beyond his intended target. Not trying to be mean but if he cannont steady the gun....? Maybe his condition he is lucky to not have the shakes too bad. I have seen some people with parkinsons shake so much they can turn a cup of milk into a cup of butter QUICK!

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    Shaking that much do we really want him firing a pistol in public? I know I would not want to be beyond his intended target. Not trying to be mean but if he cannont steady the gun....? Maybe his condition he is lucky to not have the shakes too bad. I have seen some people with parkinsons shake so much they can turn a cup of milk into a cup of butter QUICK!

Maybe he just wants it for around the house not out in public. You use cream, not milk, to make butter.:D

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A judge with bird shot. Bird shot is just like buck shot but it has magical properties that makes it completely penetrate people but not walls.

:rolleyes:
    Dave

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The Bobcat is a good idea. The old colt revolvers (someone recently had a photo on here of one in .32 s&w long) have light double action triggers. I've shot some 1911 race guns that had very light springs. Underpowered rounds or not, I wouldn't take a chance on getting hit with .45swc's!
    For home how about a 20 ga coach gun with some light recoil loads? or maybe a gallery gun in .22 or lever gun in .32-20 or .357?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

I taught a class in which a guy with parkinsons participated.
    (They checked with me, it was an informal class I was teaching for free)

As the others in the class were friends of his and didn't mind the delay, I ran him as a second relay.

He caried a single stacked S&W 9mm and at close range actually was a better shot than some of the other shooters.
    -ETA and he had it BAD. I don't know how he mannaged, live with it enough to time it perhaps???

Even got him through some moving drills.

He realised his limitations, and would only take a close range shot etc.

I see no reason to deny him the basic right to self defense.

-The Person in question needs to look at several options, and decide what fits him best.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    How about a Kahr CW-9. Small, not overly heavy and the trigger pull is reasonable. To rack the slide, a "slide racker" can be machined into the slide. This is a handle used on open guns for action pistol. It allows the user to work the slide since most are cut flush and have an optical sight on top, making them hard to operate. I can find a machinist that can fit one to a Karh. This would allow him to use a table top or door frame to work the slide. Just trying to think out side the box, a little.

Beauxdog :cool:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    How about a Kahr CW-9. Small, not overly heavy and the trigger pull is reasonable. To rack the slide, a "slide racker" can be machined into the slide. This is a handle used on open guns for action pistol. It allows the user to work the slide since most are cut flush and have an optical sight on top, making them hard to operate. I can find a machinist that can fit one to a Karh. This would allow him to use a table top or door frame to work the slide. Just trying to think out side the box, a little.

Beauxdog :cool:

A good small gun.

Top Bottom