Hang 'Em High In Texas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    260xStory.jpg

In Houston, a hint of vigilantism emerges in the Hispanic community, where right is still right and wrong is still wrong, and a sizable portion of the community still knows the difference. Any DA who even remotely hopes to win the next election is forced by politics to tread lightly on these voters.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7347027.html

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Self-defence and protecting your property is not vigilantism (the taking of law enforcement into one's own hands).

I agree. "Vigilantism" brings up images of lynchmobs dragging suspects from their jail cells..... That certainly doesn't apply here. :rolleyes:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I worked several years in Houston for several alarm companies, we responded to alarms along with HPD

I can without hesitation tell you the PoPo were not gun shy, and they weren't gun shy for us, we carried shotguns and handguns, the cops had no problem with that or with us using what it took to apprehend if we were first
    I'd say that at least then, Houston was HARD on crime

In SE Houston ( described in the article ) I saw lots of police encounters with non compliant burglars and robbers, several times the tax payers were spared a trial, no bones about it , just handled up on.

It's been a while, but it sounds like they're still takin a bite outta crime

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Many years ago, in the '70's, when John Holmes was the Houston - Harris county D.A. the chain of Pilgrim Dry cleaners was plagued by numerous armed robberies.
    The owner decided to put big one-way glass windows over all of the counter service areas, with armed guards with riot guns behind the glass. Their instructions were to kill all armed robbers, on the spot; no notice or warning.
    The robberies stopped immmediately.
    But the local "Reverends" complained to Holmes about the tactic. Holmes' response was that all armed robbbers should be shot on the spot, and that he approved of Pilgrim's arrangements..
    The whole thing eventually blew over, but the robberies never re-started.

leVieux

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Many years ago, in the '70's, when John Holmes was the Houston - Harris county D.A. the chain of Pilgrim Dry cleaners was plagued by numerous armed robberies.
    The owner decided to put big one-way glass windows over all of the counter service areas, with armed guards with riot guns behind the glass. Their instructions were to kill all armed robbers, on the spot; no notice or warning.
    But the local "Reverends" complained to Holmes about the tactic. Holmes' response was that all armed robbbers should be shot on the spot, and that he approved of Pilgrim's arrangements..

leVieux

Just no other way to deal with the problems Houston has with crime...IIRC when I left in 1983 the murder rate was 3 per day per day

Last edited:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Their instructions were to kill all armed robbers, on the spot; no notice or warning.

LOL. Sounds like a hint of vigilantism in that.

I always wondered a little about the sanity of John Holmes when I was Houston resident in seventies. But the guy sure put 'em away. Death row was his preferred destination for the recipients of Texas justice.

It wasn't long after we left Bayou City in '77 that three black guys walked into a Dennys I used to frequent on I-45 North near Greenspoint in broad daylight and killed seven patrons during an armed robbery. The only thing I ever missed about that place was the catfishing in Lake Houston. And the white bass. And the sac-a-lait. You wouldn't believe that a mere stone's throw from Intercontinental Airport there was such fishing as that.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I do not miss the place...at all

When I had to drive through there a few years ago it was scary, i thought I used to love this place ( lived there 13 years )...no more

Leaving there was like taking a big dump after Mexican Food, ...and never having lived in NOLA I'd say that would prolly be true there too, visits , drive thrus and news tell me more than I want to know.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    i thought I used to love this place ( lived there 13 years )...no more

Yea, it's funny how the place worked up on you when it was still basically a little country town focused on oil and gas. But then came the Hispanic invasion and Globalization all at once, and oh, Jesus.

MCOLT1911

mcolt1911
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

leVieux

What better deterant to violent crime than to say, "if you attempt to rob my business you will, without a doubt contract high speed lead poisioning."

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    In 1977 Houston was the 8th Largest City in the Country. Real small town oil patch....Do you even read the stuff you post or is it just stream of conscious?

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana

leVieux

John Holmes always knew how to fight crime in the 70's !!!!
    john-holmes.jpg

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm working in Houston quite often these days. I think it looks more like a border town than a city located in the heart of the state.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom