Harry Reid shoots it down! Gun ban removed from Senate bill

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So those who (apparently) think this was a forgone conclusion, are you saying you believe that those who made the effort to voice their opinions to their reps and politely express their opposition to this proposed legislation was all just an overreaction- and just a waste of their time? Or do you believe it's still possible to make a difference if enough people act?

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are, as there seems to be an awful lot of 'I told you so' going on, now that things at least appear to be moving in a favorable direction for our side- thank goodness. No matter the reasons why- I'm pleased that you were correct in your estimation....

I'm not looking for a novel- just wondering what you think.

I can only speak for myself, but I think I made it pretty obvious I didn't think this was going to happen from the start. I tried to express my opinion to keep people from freaking out in a number of threads. I personally believe that any time we can make our voices heard it is a good thing, crisis or not, or elected officials are there to represent us, without voicing our opinions it is much less likely for them to do so. I don't think that politely expressing your opinion is an overreaction, nor a waste of time, however I think that buying 15 lowers to horde or making youtube video's stating your willingness to kill Americans if this "goes one inch further" is.

I'll never tell someone they shouldn't call their congressman, but reasonable and rational expression is a far cry from a lot of what we saw and are seeing now. I think the current prices for guns, ammo, and parts speak to that unfortunate truth.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can only speak for myself, but I think I made it pretty obvious I didn't think this was going to happen from the start. I tried to express my opinion to keep people from freaking out in a number of threads. I personally believe that any time we can make our voices heard it is a good thing, crisis or not, or elected officials are there to represent us, without voicing our opinions it is much less likely for them to do so. I don't think that politely expressing your opinion is an overreaction, nor a waste of time, however I think that buying 15 lowers to horde or making youtube video's stating your willingness to kill Americans if this "goes one inch further" is.

I'll never tell someone they shouldn't call their congressman, but reasonable and rational expression is a far cry from a lot of what we saw and are seeing now. I think the current prices for guns, ammo, and parts speak to that unfortunate truth.

Fair answer, Jack.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I'm happy that they are throwing it out and that i jumped on the email band wagon I don't know how big of a difference it made but its nice to think we might have had some say in the matter. Hopefully it doesn't stop there and the rest of this is thrown out as well.

I'm not sure if it make any difference to email them asking telling them to throw the rest of it out now as well...

I don't think that it was an email bandwagon. I think one of the reason's it was defeated was because so many people wrote in. I may be wrong but I am going to continue to write. It's just too easy not to.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

It's not over yet. As I have been saying.........the AWB or the mag capacity ban will not pass (though I was wrong on the DiFi bill not making it out of committee) but the real threat all along has been Universal Background Checks. We still stand a good chance on losing this battle.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I can only speak for myself, but I think I made it pretty obvious I didn't think this was going to happen from the start. I tried to express my opinion to keep people from freaking out in a number of threads. I personally believe that any time we can make our voices heard it is a good thing, crisis or not, our elected officials are there to represent us. Without voicing our opinions it is much less likely for them to do so. I don't think that politely expressing your opinion is an overreaction, nor a waste of time, however I think that buying 15 lowers to horde or making youtube video's stating your willingness to kill Americans if this "goes one inch further" is.

I would like to add that while I am sure that some vender's may have genuinely believed that a ban was on the way, I am also sure that many attempted to fuel the panic in an effort to continue the binge buying, and misrepresent the truth as it relates to their profit margins to look like the good guy's while raising prices by their own decision. This thread(link below) is a prime example of that behavior. Taking advantage of people's fear is deplorable, I just hope that many here will learn from this experience and be less quick to jump to conclusions.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...The-2013-price-gouging-rant-vent-thread/page2

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    It's not over yet. As I have been saying.........the AWB or the mag capacity ban will not pass (though I was wrong on the DiFi bill not making it out of committee) but the real threat all along has been Universal Background Checks. We still stand a good chance on losing this battle.

You're right and as I've said before, I think this is a far more likely than an AWB or mag restriction ever was. I also think forced disclosure of certain prescriptions and diagnoses is more likely than an AWB or mag restriction.

bakerman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    St Tammany

"the real threat", it is just that.

bakerman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    St Tammany
    Actually, the smart thing to do is just hold on to them....it's not a loss till you sell it for a loss. First, this is just a breather, all it will take is one more psychopath, the next time it will pass.
    I remember thinking 1100-1500 was a lot to pay for hk 94's or FN FALS back around the Clinton ban....sure wish I hadn't sold them back then

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So those who (apparently) think this was a forgone conclusion, are you saying you believe that those who made the effort to voice their opinions to their reps and politely express their opposition to this proposed legislation was all just an overreaction- and just a waste of their time? Or do you believe it's still possible to make a difference if enough people act?

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are, as there seems to be an awful lot of 'I told you so' going on, now that things at least appear to be moving in a favorable direction for our side- thank goodness. No matter the reasons why- I'm pleased that you were correct in your estimation....

I'm not looking for a novel- just wondering what you think.

I believe that these parasites in Washington DC do this with a very calculated outcome. I believe that they collude with each other in their chambers of deceit and self importance to the extent they carefully assess which of them can vote certain ways on the lockstep party line items at certain times to avoid the most negative fallout. Hence the Landrieu vote for cloture in the pretendercare scam. At that time she was newly elected and the coven knew they could get her to vote for it with enough time between to have most people forget. She was one of those shills that could take the hit.

That is why I did not write to that worthless pile of fatness. She was probably sheilded by Reids decision because too many of the democrats may get the boot on this issue next year. Queen anti gun moron Feinstein will never face replacement in that district of sheer lunacy she represents, hence she keeps throwing this crap at the wall.

They are all garbage! All of them!

Rebeldave

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Springfield la
    Stay strong and KEEP up the mail E or snail, phone calls to. In the art of war( lure your enemies into sleep) they give up the assault rifle ban but get mag limits they feel they won
    NOOOOO Stay strong keep calling NO NEW LAWS Prosecute the ones you already have

JConner

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Sulphur,La.
    "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will remove an assault weapons ban from a package of gun reform legislation, and offer it separately as an amendment."

They may just tack it on to a food bill and pass it down the road.A lot easier to pass an amendment connected with another bill.Obama-care is a perfect example.

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    But weren't straw purchases illegal regardless of if it was a private sale or from a FFL?

No, it is legal to purchase a firearm from a private seller on behalf of someone else.

S. 54 isn't a completely bad bill, but what difference does it make if I buy a firearm for my daughter as a gift, or stand in her place for a private sale? If I buy is as a gift, under S. 54 it is legal, but if I take compensation for it, it's a felony, with up to 15 years in prison.

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will remove an assault weapons ban from a package of gun reform legislation, and offer it separately as an amendment."

They may just tack it on to a food bill and pass it down the road.A lot easier to pass an amendment connected with another bill.Obama-care is a perfect example.

S. 150 cannot be tacked on to a bill as an amendment, it can be offered as an amendment and will be voted on as an amendment. If it is voted yea, it will be added to whatever bill that is on the floor and then the entire bill, with amendments, will be voted on. There is not enough support for S. 150, that's why Senator Reid is not bringing to the floor for debate. If she offers it as an amendment, and it fails a vote, it's doubtful that Senator Reid will allow it to be offered again. If someone happens to find a magic wand in the Senate and this passes as an amendment, and the bill passes the Senate, it still has no chance in the House.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    No, I don't believe their little scheme is completely dead yet- but I am very happy they've been forced into a major setback.

However, I think everyone would be well advised to remember these people are extremely patient, and know they aren't going to get away with clobbering our gun rights with one big punch. Anything they can call "progress" will do for now- and they aren't going away.

The issue of universal background checks & magazine limits is NOT dead, just yet. These are major issues to us.

We do not want magazine bans/limits; We do not want a universal background check. Our representatives should be very clear about how we feel. The politicians in DC must be made to understand this is NOT "their call"- it is ours.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I am happy to have rode out the storm. Still waiting on the supply to catch back to demand, but I feel prices will normalize and hopefully the $2000 dpms will go away.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    No, I don't believe their little scheme is completely dead yet- but I am very happy they've been forced into a major setback.

However, I think everyone would be well advised to remember these people are extremely patient, and know they aren't going to get away with clobbering our gun rights with one big punch. Anything they can call "progress" will do for now- and they aren't going away.

The issue of universal background checks & magazine limits is NOT dead, just yet. These are major issues to us.

We do not want magazine bans/limits; We do not want a universal background check. Our representatives should be very clear about how we feel. The politicians in DC must be made to understand this is NOT "their call"- it is ours.

Totally agree. Well stated..

Top Bottom