Harry Reid shoots it down! Gun ban removed from Senate bill

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What's sad is they are extremely patient. And stay in office this long to have their agenda carried out over a generation.

Term limits. Done.

This is why we are destined to fail. It takes 2 or 3 generations it seems to get people out of office.

Term limits is a pipe dream.

Term limits and the Buffet II Rule would be awesome though;

BUFFETT: I can end the deficit in five minutes.

QUICK: How?

BUFFETT: You just pass a law that says that anytime there’s a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election. Yeah. Yeah. Now you’ve got the incentives in the right place, right?
    To wit: Make a Constitutional amendment that would make all members of Congress ineligible for re-election if the deficit exceeds 3% of gross domestic product.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This is why we are destined to fail. It takes 2 or 3 generations it seems to get people out of office.

Term limits is a pipe dream.

Term limits and the Buffet II Rule would be awesome though;

And it is really sad too! This is why your neighbors may very well be the wolves at the door. You know what you stand for! You know what values and principles you adhere to! But, is your neighbor making as much as you? Did they bust their ass off or pay their way through school to get ahead? Or, are they on the government's "Free ****" bandwagon in some way, shape, or form?

You will vote against immoral parisitic policticians, but will they? Look at Colorado? Do you believe that the true hardcore Coloradans that owned ranches and large tracts of farmland voted these anti gun scumbags in office? Or for more taxes?

This desire to vote for a scumbag parasite just because they are black and you are; or they have a D or an R next to their name and you think you believe the same way they do; or because you hold a grudge against capitalism because you didn't make it in business, or any other mindset that gives us this mess?

This is a sickness!

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Gday everyone. This is my first time having to go through any of this, so I'm a bit confused with some of it. As it stands the only thing with any of the suggested measures that affects me (as far as I'm aware) is the mag limit proposals. If a mag limit bill passes, does that mean all "high" capacity magazines are illegal, and I'd have to get rid of the 15 round mags I have for my p89? Or will currently owned mags be grandfathered in? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm just a total noob to this.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Gday everyone. This is my first time having to go through any of this, so I'm a bit confused with some of it. As it stands the only thing with any of the suggested measures that affects me (as far as I'm aware) is the mag limit proposals. If a mag limit bill passes, does that mean all "high" capacity magazines are illegal, and I'd have to get rid of the 15 round mags I have for my p89? Or will currently owned mags be grandfathered in? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm just a total noob to this.

It depends on the language of the bill, which I haven't read. Most places that have passed this do not have a "mandatory buy back" or confiscation option, meaning you'd be grandfathered in. Even in NY you can still have the mags, you just can't put more than 7 rounds in.

They even did it "right", too, by not exempting police. If the PD's complain enough they may repeal that piece of crap. Of course, how they expect police to self enforce, I'm not sure...

Last edited:

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    i said all along it was going to come down to harry reid. don't think for a minute them boys at arsenal and rifle dynamics don't throw him some campaign money just in case they need his support. it is sure going to be fun watching the real cook libs melt down on msnbc. ed shultz is already calling for him to be replaced. it was never going to go through anyway,. if you watch the news you would swear that the house was not even going to have a say in the passing of the bill. just the senate and the white house. it would never have gotten through the current house anyway. it take all three branches of government to pass laws.

Last edited:

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    It depends on the language of the bill, which I haven't read. Most places that have passed this do not have a "mandatory buy back" or confiscation option, meaning you'd be grandfathered in. Even in NY you can still have the mags, you just can't put more than 7 rounds in.

They even did it "right", too, by not exempting police. If the PD's complain enough they may repeal that piece of crap. Of course, how they expect police to self enforce, I'm not sure...

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately that leaves me with more questions. Using the NY example you used, does that mean you either have to modify the mag to only fit a certain amount of rounds, or does it rely on people being "honest" when they load the mag? As I said I'm a complete noob to this sort of thing so I'm pretty confused.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately that leaves me with more questions. Using the NY example you used, does that mean you either have to modify the mag to only fit a certain amount of rounds, or does it rely on people being "honest" when they load the mag? As I said I'm a complete noob to this sort of thing so I'm pretty confused.

Don't leave your suspicions to a forum on the internet! New York has a website that actually displays the law in question! If I gave a **** about New York City or New York State, I might know it off the top of my weary head, or put forth a link. But, I know even before this new nonsense, I couldn't bring my gun there anyway; so F them!

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    I was flipping through the channels here in my hotel room and stopped on Piers Morgan because he was supposed to be interviewing police chiefs from Connecticut and he was going through a list of Senators that have answered him as to if they supported or opposed Fienstien's bill. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head but he of course had to list all the ones that opposed it and in that list was Landrieu. Maybe the emails helped her realized she would lose her job next year if she supported it.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Don't leave your suspicions to a forum on the internet! New York has a website that actually displays the law in question! If I gave a **** about New York City or New York State, I might know it off the top of my weary head, or put forth a link. But, I know even before this new nonsense, I couldn't bring my gun there anyway; so F them!
    Thanks for the tip. Didn't find the website but did find a news story with the NY laws.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...control-law-first-since-newtown-massacre?lite
    So basically if the same law comes to pass nationally, I can keep my 15 round mags, I just won't be allowed to load them over *insert "safe number of rounds"*.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    No. The law is whatever they put in it. Last one allowed all existing mags to be used with however many rounds they could fit, but all new production was 10 rounds or less. Nobody knows what it would be this time, but the likelyhood of anything passing is really low.

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    don't let off. for those that remember, the awb in 94' was originally removed from the first bill too because they never had the votes and then reintroduced as an amendment and was passed. this whole thing is going through the same motions that it went through in 94'. the dems will forever go back to their playbook that has worked in the past. be vigilant, these people are not going away or giving up this easy. that is our problem, they are always fighting from an offensive position and the gun rights proponents are always fighting from a defensive position. no body has ever won a fight, fighting from a defensive position only. if and when we get passed this episode, the gun rights proponents need to go on the attack exposing these peoples true motives and that is to disarm us before the shtf. and they know it is coming. they have already raised your taxes with an economy that has been seeing double digit unemployment for over six years, (the numbers they quote are total bs). hyper-inflation is on the way. (it has properly already started, anybody been to the grocery lately? that is usually where it starts). when obamacare gets fully implemented, people are going to feel betrayed then get really pissed. and the icing on the cake is going to be when they start to dip into your 401k's and your ira's to keep founding their vote farm programs. every cpa i talk to has told me that is coming. they tell you that their motives are to protect children, bull sh#t, their motives are to protect their own ass. then if all else fails, they are willingly going to hand over our sovereignty to the u.n. and sign the u.n. treaty and get the gun control they have always wanted and and claim no responsibility for it. that is their nuclear option. remember treaty's only require ratification from the senate. (which has a democrat majority at this time). then they can bypass the house altogether and all the republicans can do is watch. it is far from over!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    don't let off. for those that remember, the awb in 94' was originally removed from the first bill too because they never had the votes and then reintroduced as an amendment and was passed. this whole thing is going through the same motions that it went through in 94'. the dems will forever go back to their playbook that has worked in the past. be vigilant, these people are not going away or giving up this easy. that is our problem, they are always fighting from an offensive position and the gun rights proponents are always fighting from a defensive position. no body has ever won a fight, fighting from a defensive position only. if and when we get passed this episode, the gun rights proponents need to go on the attack exposing these peoples true motives and that is to disarm us before the shtf. and they know it is coming. they have already raised your taxes with an economy that has been seeing double digit unemployment for over six years, (the numbers they quote are total bs). hyper-inflation is on the way. (it has properly already started, anybody been to the grocery lately? that is usually where it starts). when obamacare gets fully implemented, people are going to feel betrayed then get really pissed. and the icing on the cake is going to be when they start to dip into your 401k's and your ira's to keep founding their vote farm programs. every cpa i talk to has told me that is coming. they tell you that their motives are to protect children, bull sh#t, their motives are to protect their own ass. then if all else fails, they are willingly going to hand over our sovereignty to the u.n. and sign the u.n. treaty and get the gun control they have always wanted and and claim no responsibility for it. that is their nuclear option. remember treaty's only require ratification from the senate. (which has a democrat majority at this time). then they can bypass the house altogether and all the republicans can do is watch. it is far from over!

Well, good morining to you, too! :mamoru:

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    well they signed the u.n. treaty today, get ready for back door gun gun control legislation.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    well they signed the u.n. treaty today, get ready for back door gun gun control legislation.
    "they" is the U.N. General Assembly. Not Congress.

Regardless of whether or not Obama signs the treaty, the Senate will not sign it unless it is amended to protect our sovereignty and our 2A rights.

No one in a sovereign country cares what the General Assembly of the U.N. writes unless it's domestically ratified.

The /only/ thing this /could/ affect, depending on the enforcement of the rules, is guns we import from countries that adopt the treaty.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

Regardless of whether or not Obama signs the treaty, the Senate will not sign it unless it is amended to protect our sovereignty and our 2A rights.

No one in a sovereign country cares what the General Assembly of the U.N. writes unless it's domestically ratified.

The /only/ thing this /could/ affect, depending on the enforcement of the rules, is guns we import from countries that adopt the treaty.

This^

You could see an increase on the price of ammo, or a decrease in availability of the cheap stuff. Could also drive up the prices on some firearms that are mostly made in other countries.

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

i was under the idea that the secretary of state is the one that signs on to it first then it would go before the senate for ratification. if it gets passed the senate it would then go to the president. but the fact that it was signed on to ought to be a huge concern since it was not signed on to every other time it was proposed. i don't want it to effect anything concerning my options with my gun purchases. the thing about it is now that it has been signed on to, if they don't get the votes to pass it in the senate, they can put it on a shelf until they get a senate that will pass it and pull it out and ratify it then. they don't have to go back to the drawing board every time they want to take a vote on it.

Top Bottom