Has anyone had a Savage action tuned?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    Has anyone had a Savage action tuned and timed and seen appreciable results above and beyond other accuracy enhancing techniques. My current Savage 110 in .308 shoots OK with half MOA accuracy. Someday I'll rebarrel and restock so I'm wondering if having the action tuned would be worthwhile to do at that time.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have a savage 114 and I have been thinking the same thing. Let me know please if you do have it done and what kind of results you have.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    If it's not a target rig I wouldn't bother. The savages are built using a floating bolt head assembly. The bolt head "trues" itself when closing the bolt because of it's floating design. The remingtons, brownings, and winchesters are a different story.

nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    If it's not a target rig I wouldn't bother. The savages are built using a floating bolt head assembly. The bolt head "trues" itself when closing the bolt because of it's floating design. The remingtons, brownings, and winchesters are a different story.
    This would be a target rig, F-Open class specifically. Probably in 6.5 Creedmore or .260 Remington, looking for all the accuracy I can get.

Last edited:

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    So the gun shoots half moa right now? Why on earth are you going to mess with it? Instead of messing with it, let's see some pictures of the groups.

nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    So the gun shoots half moa right now? Why on earth are you going to mess with it? Instead of messing with it, let's see some pictures of the groups.
    Because the 600 yd X-ring is 1/2 MOA, a 1/4 MOA gun may provide a small advantage, providing the shooter is up to the task. If I were shooting whitetails with it, there would be no advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom