haven't fished since cane and pole when I was 10 years old...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    as the title states I haven't been fishing since I was ye high and kinda have a slight urge to give it another go...I live in br and have read a few threads about spots in or close to br...looks like my best bet is blackwater although some day it's over fished...question(s) is/are what's a decent lil set up for rod n reel?...what species are found at blackwater?...good methods?...any advice for a beginner would be useful...

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    What kind of fish are you looking to catch? I have never fished blackwater or anywhere in Baton Rouge. Are you wanting to catch to eat or just for fun? From the bank I would recommend tight line fishing or using a cork setup. Bass are a very tricky species and harder to catch than perch or catfish.

MOΛΩN ΛABE

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    mostly for recreation but if I happen to catch something worth eating I wouldn't mind cooking up a few...

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    back in the gap all I remember was tying a hook on the end of the line with a few weights then another 6"-1' down putting my floater on all attached to my cheapo bamboo rod...I remember using worms and also remember small fish being very smart and nibbling at the worm instead of trying to consume the whole worm and thus the hook...

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    You could catch a couple small perch with some worms or crickets like above and I would use those for cut bait to and fish tight line on the bottom like above for some catfish that would give you a fairly decent fish to cook up.

Last edited:

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Emperor has the right idea. However, I'd replace the regular push button reel with an underspin button reel and use a 6 foot ultra light spinning rod. I prefer those for panfish as they are more ergonomic. 6 lb mono will work just fine.

most bank fishing will eventually have you in tight spots. Learn how to sling shot your lure or bait.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    took me 9 months but yeah. what kind of fish is this? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394659061.985272.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What you have there is a bream, Z.

You catch yourself a mess of those and you've got some good eating!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    How about the boat launch area at the Intracoastal Canal in Port Allen? It's located under the overpass off LA 1....Not sure if folks still fish there, but I remember going there a few times as a kid.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    How about the boat launch area at the Intracoastal Canal in Port Allen? It's located under the overpass off LA 1....Not sure if folks still fish there, but I remember going there a few times as a kid.

And, if he's lucky; he might run into that troll, Dee Dee Slaughter! :D

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    And, if he's lucky; he might run into that troll, Dee Dee Slaughter! :D

LOL hope not. :doh:

Z- Another spot I didn't think of is City Park Lake....They say the fish are safe to eat from there, now- but if it were me, I'd still call LDWF and ask about that lake's prior issues, though. I've seen people catch fish from the bank in several locations, there. Been years since I personally fished there, though....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom