having issues

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigv

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Shreveport
    Ok guys and girls, I have been in the great city of Shreveport for two weeks and i am having a hell of a time finding a mom and pop gunshop that does sales,consignments and trades. I would also like to find one that sells a wide variety of reload components. I need to buy bullets,primers and powder.

I am willing to drive a few miles but the selection i was able to find here has been abissmal. Anyone who lives here and is actually actively involved in reloading please help me. Were do you shop!

And a secondary issue. I am from Az so i have never had issues with rusting guns. Now i do! what do you do to stop surface rust here? What products do you use and how often do you treat.

Frnchyse

Will work for ammo!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Metairie
    Welcome bigv, while I can't help with the shreveport gunshop as I'm in metairie; I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out with that. The secondary issue of rust, well some more info on what type of gun, how you have been storing it, etc may help us to find what may be causing the rusting problem in the first place.

occunknown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ringgold
    I do my bullets by mail from powder valley and I buy powder at Bass Pro. You have to wait for what powder you want to come in stock and by all you can at BP. You might also try Diamond pawn in Monroe, they have a few items in stock. As for sales I have personal rule that I never sell a gun so I can't suggest there.

Last edited:

SlidellArms

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Been in Slidell for 12 years
    Hey Bigv, think we're kinda far from Shreveport lol, but we do all of the above...im mom btw ;) theres a BS Sponsor that may be closer to you from Gonzales named Mark Wagenspack (sp?)

Feel free to msg here or call the shop, i dont check this everyday...all of our consigment guns are on two websites as well as in the store, gunsamerica and slidellarms.com

Hope that helps, sorry I dont know the area youre in well.

Kim

bigv

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Shreveport
    storage

i had my hand guns stored in a foam lined and shadowed pelican case that is supposed to be moisture proof but i did not have it latched closed. I think this caused the humidity to soak into the foam and stay. The foam held it against the guns and i lost a beautifull finish on a Ruger birds head Vaquero with and antique case color finish.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    FWIW, Clark Custom Guns at Shootout Lane in Princeton (just a few minutes down the road from Shreveport) had some powder and primers when I poked my head in during Area 4 a few weeks back.

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    Veral?

If so, Hey, Chuck here. Long Range Alley Gun Club (318- 872 0111) near Frierson has a good selection of powder. Custom Ballistics in Greenwood (318- 938-7658 only open something like Wed-Fri) keeps lots of reloading supplies but can be difficult to locate and even more difficult to locate.

Long Range Alley will do consignments, etc. Lorants on Shreveport-Barksdale Highway is okay depending on attitude that day....only way to deal with them is cash as check/cc prices are more.

I still order occasionally and frequently shop for powder at Bailey's House of Guns when I am in Houston.

For rust, I usually don't have problems in town unless I forget to take something out of a cloth case. At the Scout Ranch, that is another story as I have rust growing on rust, etc and mold. I have been using Rust Prufe lately with good results, but I recently purchased Brownell's Rust Preventative No.2 in a spray bottle. The jury has just convened on them so I don;t have any long term results yet.....just used the Ruste Prufe since October and the Borwnells for two weeks.
    PM me for any more info. I'm at work right now.

Last edited:

bigv

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Shreveport
    thank you all

Chuck i hope you will forgive me, i believe you are the gentalman that i talked to before i got moved if so thank you for the info. I have had so much going on lately that i have forgot my own name! anyway,just got a chance to get out today with my neighbor and take a look around. This place is definately a new animal for me. I called custom Ballistics and he seems to be a bit of a odd ball but i think i will take a trip to his place this next weekend. I have been into the shop on S'port barksdale and they are a nice enough bunch but the selection of weapons was a bit limited in my opinion. Overall i think i may get a handle on things just in time to go back to AZ in three years! Thanks for all the help folks and i will be back on soon. Chuck if you and i know one another from here{i suspect we do} then you have my e-mail and i would love a oportunity to buy you a beer if you are of the mind as a thanks for the help . Let me know,

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    V: I get all of my loading supplies online. The haz-mat and shipping fees suck, but when you need to resupply you take the hit and are thankful you have primers & powder. You are right about being unable to find a one stop shop in our area. I haven't branched out toward Tyler, Longview or Marshall in search of components. East Texas might be a source, but I dislike having to drive 120 mile round trip in 'hopes of'.
    Rust? Welcome to the humid south. I don't store anything in the new plastic with foam box. If they aren't being toted to the range, they sit in the safe. My older S&W revolvers are in their original boxes with the brown oil wrapper around them.

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    Chuck i hope you will forgive me, i believe you are the gentalman that i talked to before i got moved if so thank you for the info. Chuck if you and i know one another from here{i suspect we do} then you have my e-mail and i would love a oportunity to buy you a beer if you are of the mind as a thanks for the help . Let me know,

V,
    I just sent you an email.....almost didn't find it as I never linked your name to the email.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom