Having trouble breaking down your Ruger pistol? Video added

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    A while back pain man posted that he had found a video with tips on Ruger MkIII dis/reassembly.
    I watched that video. He used two tools, a screwdriver and his poor man's hammer. Think God that video is no longer on Youtube.
    BOY! Did the guy in that video make it look hard. The screwdriver and his poor man's hammer are not even needed to take the gun apart or to put it back together.
    The thing he calls a dingle berry is called a hammer strut. The reason he could not remove the bolt at first is that the hammer strut was resting on the sear spring pin.
    To remove the bolt with out having to remove the barrel with a poor man's hammer, just point the pistol stright up and pull the triger and the bolt will fall out.
    Oh! insted of using a screwdriver to pry out the maimspring housing latch, use a paperclip.
    When putting it back together, look into the slot in the back of the frame and you will see a small pin that goes cross ways, that little pin is there to hold down the tail end of the sear spring, ie, sear spring pin. If the pistol is tilted forward and you pull the trigger the hammer strut will rest on the top of the pin and the hammer will not go all the way down to allow you to put the bolt back in. Just point the pistol up and pull the trigger, then slid the bolt back in.
    Now point the pistol down and pull the trigger and the hammer will go up and out of the way so that you can put the mainspring (MS)housing back into the pistol. Push the large pin back into the frame. NOW HERE IS WHERE EVERYONE SCREWS UP, closing and locking the mainspring housing into place. Most will put the MS housing back in and close the latch and the bolt will not pull to the rear. The trouble is that the hammer strut is not pushing the mainspring down but, it's in front of the MS housing, resting on top of the sear spring pin.
    NOW HERE IS THE BIG TICKET TRICK. After you have the large pin pushed back up into place, Place the pistol upside down in your left hand, facing away from you, insert your thumb into the trigger guard, tilt the barrel up a little and pull the trigger with your thumb. You will see the hammer strut fall back and sit on the top of the MS housing. Keep the trigger pulled and close the MS and close the latch. Turn the pistol over and grip in your right hand and pull the bolt to the rear. WOW now was that so hard? You should try taking apart a Browning Buck mark.

Here is a video I made to help you out.
    View My Video

The Ruger MkI & MkII are so simple to take apart and put back together, you just need to know what to do. It is like opening a door. If you don't turn the knob, you will kave a hell of a time getting it to open. And if it is locked you will need a key.
    So when it comes down to it, the Hammer strut is the key to the Ruger pistol dis/reassembly.
    If you are still having trouble with your pistol, just PM me with your phone number and I will call you. It will take me less then 5 min.s for me to show you how to open the door. :wink:

bonewagon

Carbon Sasquatch
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Jeff Davis Parish
    Thanks Candyman. I have a blue and and a stainless bull barrell Mark II. If I don't shoot them for a long time, I forget how frustrating it seems to try to get them back together easily after a good cleaning. I remember to align the hammer strut, but your idea of just holding the pistol upside down was an eye opener. A much easier experience.

Many thanks,

Bonewagon

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Awesome video. More light would have been better though.

Even as a master class disassembler, I must confess that my MKII has spent several months at a time in parts in the safe before i fought for hours to get it back together.

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    if any of you yay-hoos ever decides to take apart the lower half of said pistol and cant get it back together.... i am more than willing to put the whole sumbitch back together for you. however if you blame it on your brother in law the price will be a little higher. i once had a brother in law and he never touched my guns..... that excuse doesn't work with me so give me a ring if you fubar-ed the diassembly and i"ll have ya back up and shootin in no time.

- Vince
    (412) 670-2620

Top Bottom