HB 279 requiring cleo to sign off within 15 days

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Unless I am missing something
    1. Did they not just get rid of state paperwork last October. I do not understand politicians, they take away things to work less hard then write bills again to work harder in its place.
    2. I presume they are going after the "Evil Trust Loophole" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not sure what you are getting at. The bill in question would require CLEO to sign off on form 1's and form 4s provided the person in question can legally possess NFA. This would be a big win for people that don't want to or can't afford to get a trust llc etc. Right now as you know many CLEO simply refuse to sign as a matter of policy. This isn't changing anything with trusts just individual applications where the CLEO certification is required. It would also help with Trusts if they later on made the CLEO certification a requirement.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    North LA
    Your thread is a little misleading. "HB 279 would require CLEO certification for NFA". Should read, "HB 279 would require CLEO to sign off within 15 days of receipt."

This will keep CLEO's from not signing off just because they don't want to.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Not sure what you are getting at. The bill in question would require CLEO to sign off on form 1's and form 4s provided the person in question can legally possess NFA. This would be a big win for people that don't want to or can't afford to get a trust llc etc. Right now as you know many CLEO simply refuse to sign as a matter of policy. This isn't changing anything with trusts just individual applications where the CLEO certification is required. It would also help with Trusts if they later on made the CLEO certification a requirement.

Ahh its still to early for all these legal nonsense, in that case GO US!
    Thanks for the clarification

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Your thread is a little misleading. "HB 279 would require CLEO certification for NFA". Should read, "HB 279 would require CLEO to sign off within 15 days of receipt."

This will keep CLEO's from not signing off just because they don't want to.

I see sorry didn't catch that. Don't think I can edit the title.

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    I find it curious that there is no "teeth" to the bill. What happens if the CLEO says I don't care, I'm still not signing? I'm not a lawyer and barely had a business law class in high school so there may be something I don't know about.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I find it curious that there is no "teeth" to the bill. What happens if the CLEO says I don't care, I'm still not signing? I'm not a lawyer and barely had a business law class in high school so there may be something I don't know about.

Then the courts would settle it and decide if the law is upheld.

flemgunner

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    lafayette
    Rep Barry Ivey was the one who put this together among other bills. We were consulted on this and a couple others. The one about cutting the cost of CCW for vets I really like HB280.
    Here is a Digest of HB279.
    Contact your reps and let them know you want them to support this bill!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yeah seems like you would have to sue the sheriff.

Perhaps!?! But this would make it easier to do so. Just the threat of a lawsuit in the presence of a Statute that impels them to do so, would be enough for those arrogant a-holes that refuse to do it for their constituents, to think twice about them knowing what's best for you.

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    Wouldn't a Sheriff that ignored the law and refused to sign or deny within the prescribed time open themselves up to a Malfeasance charge?

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    not a lot different from the Sheriffs that choose not to enforce the laws passed to restrict our gun rights, in other states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom