HB279 involuntarily deferred

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    HB279 was involuntarily deferred with no objections from the supposedly pro-gun committe members. What a joke. Rep. Lopinto is a wuss as the chairman. The rep from the sheriffs association stated that sheriffs do not deny law abiding louisiana citizens their right to possess firearms. Again, what a bunch of bull. Where was the LSA? I question whether this organization is pro gun. This is a very fundamental issue regarding the right to purchase these firearms. And, yet silence from LSA.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    HB279 was involuntarily deferred with no objections from the supposedly pro-gun committe members. What a joke. Rep. Lopinto is a wuss as the chairman. The rep from the sheriffs association stated that sheriffs do not deny law abiding louisiana citizens their right to possess firearms. Again, what a bunch of bull. Where was the LSA? I question whether this organization is pro gun. This is a very fundamental issue regarding the right to purchase these firearms. And, yet silence from LSA.

The pro-NFA points and testimony was weak. But, that being said; you must wait to see if it was a pre-determined torpedo job. Meaning, was this bill dead before this D&P Show was even acted out. Personally, I hope so! because if this issue was so important to the pro-NFA community; you sure as **** couldn't tell by the people in the audience.

I may have missed it, but I didn't even hear them announce the number of green cards and red cards.

Last edited:

met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    Agiain, where was the LSA.

The LSA is totally committed to the promotion and protection of legitimate firearms owners’ constitutionally-guaranteed right to own, bear, and use firearms for the protection of home and family, sport hunting, target shooting, and any other lawful purpose. The LSA has a full-time, registered lobbyist at the state capital, who monitors firearms-related legislation. The officers of the LSA routinely testify at the state capital on behalf of the citizens of Louisiana, and are consuted by legislatures for support of key bills and initiatives.

This position statement is a farce...

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    As long as you purchase fundraiser tickets from the right rank, then you can get your papers signed. That is REALLY what the rep meant to say. Sheriffs do not want to lose that fundraising power involved with certain permits and paperwork.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I love that the LSA is thrown under the bus as a FIRST REACTION. The bill was involuntarily pulled. No one could speak for or against it. Want to complain? Complain to your sheriff. Want to throw stones at people that put in thousands of hours *FOR FREE* to further rights in this state? By all means keep it up. I took off two days this past week to be in committee hearings. I apologize for needing to occasionally work.

Feel free to run for the board and spend all YOUR time in committee hearings.

Before you do that, perhaps acquaint yourself with the situation a little better. If the LSA isn't pro-gun enough for you, get in there and be somebody rather than bitching on the internet.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Watching Terry Landry and Barbara "DO YOU KNOW" Norton get off topic and waste taxpayers time was painful! It’s always amazing and disconcerting to see so many poorly informed yet opinionated individuals tasked with creating law. I dislike politics, but I HATE ignorant politicians more!

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    With all due respect sir, I was only stating a fact that was based on years of experience. Now what I said about the rep is based on conjecture. If that was taken as an insult, then I do apologize for it.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Watching Terry Landry and Barbara "DO YOU KNOW" Norton get off topic and waste taxpayers time was painful! It’s always amazing and disconcerting to see so many poorly informed yet opinionated individuals tasked with creating law. I dislike politics, but I HATE ignorant politicians more!

I believe they know better, but feign ignorance.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Many, if not all of us are passionate about our rights. Let’s not fight between our selves. Emotions run high at times like these. Let’s keep our focus on the subject and hold each other up to continue the fight.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

Were you there? If not, you have zero grounds to complain.

LSA arranged for Derek Howard of Big Boy Armament and Joe Meaux of Red Jacket to attend and testify. LSA also had its lobbyist there.

If the issue is important to you, take the time to take off from work and go to the capital. It it isn't that important to you, why should your opinion be given any weight?

Dan

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I personally have full confidence I could not add to any legal arguments with Dan,ted,paul, as well as the two persons selected for comment representing us. I would also want to thank you guys for taking the time... I believe you have our best interests in mind, even though we may be out gunned..

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Bashing on the people who are fighting to further your gun rights because they aren't doing enough...from your sofa...

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Were you there? If not, you have zero grounds to complain.

LSA arranged for Derek Howard of Big Boy Armament and Joe Meaux of Red Jacket to attend and testify. LSA also had its lobbyist there.

If the issue is important to you, take the time to take off from work and go to the capital. It it isn't that important to you, why should your opinion be given any weight?

Dan

Wonder if met7881 will be back after this. People should find out the facts before they open their mouths.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I personally have full confidence I could not add to any legal arguments with Dan,ted,paul, as well as the two persons selected for comment representing us. I would also want to thank you guys for taking the time... I believe you have our best interests in mind, even though we may be out gunned..

Unfortunately I could not be there. My Grandfather passed away this week and I am with family settling matters. I do however have full faith in the decisions made by the LSA when it comes to lobbying, lining up testimonies, and general representation of my firearm interests at the state level. I, unlike met7881, am WELL aware of the back braking, head racking, nerve raveling, and sometimes ungrateful work that Dan and the rest of us do on a daily basis on behalf of gun owners in this state.....voluntarily!

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Wonder if met7881 will be back after this. People should find out the facts before they open their mouths.

I doubt it as people who have an axe to grind AND who know not of what they speak simultaneously rarely suffer insight and humility.

The LSA and friends have been with this bill every step of the way. I suppose in today's world we have to apologize for being an all volunteer force who could "only" field three qualified people to speak - even if they were not given the chance

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I was watching it on Committee-cam. I have some questions about that meeting if any of you that were there can shed some light?!?

I know it was the last agenda item, but:

The audience (pro or con), was VERY thin; did they sequester attendees?
    I didn't hear them read the totals of Green (For), or Red (Against), cards. Did I miss that?
    Was it pre-determined to allow the Committee to defer the measure (which essentially kills it), or was it pulled by the Legislator and allowed to die?
    Did some of the committee members that may have been FOR the measure vacate their chairs (so they wouldn't miss their free lunch that day), before the measure came up?

I think what is confusing to some, is how the anti-EVERYTHING guns (those usual 4 dummies), were able to control the tempo and then ultimately sack the measure. Usually, if you have a majority that were for the measure to clear the Committee that wouldn't happen.

rr1154

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    HB 279 is scheduled to be heard by the House committee on the Administration of Criminal Justice on Tuesday May 6, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.

Top Bottom