Headed to Houston, any worries?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    no but you should know the laws for yourself.. If you have your LA CC permit it helps.. with reciprocity.. and what good is a gun in luggage, violence is not able to be put on hold while you dig around for lost gun in a pile of clothes..

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    There is no legal open carry of handguns in Texas. There are almost no exceptions. However, O.C. of rifles & shotguns is legal.

Your LA CHL is good there. Don't carry in a posted bar or a posted hospital, school, etc.

Be nice to all, especially the cops. You should have no trouble.

leVieux

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    This is how it goes..I drive to Texas daily..

If your in La..open carry,make sure gun is visible..

When in Texas , You may carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle only if it is concealed.

I remove mine from holster when I cross state line and put under seat or pouch....

When traveling across states.The laws of federal are sometimes written in peculiar script.
    But as far as I know,you can carry a weapon anytime your traveling.Just most of them are
    OC and the rest are concealed..I think like 7 states are the only ones that make you conceal..

The seven states I believe are ,,Texas,,Utah,Vermont,Virgina ,Washington,W.Virgina,New york

I could be wrong on some of the states.I'm just going by memory...

But Gov Perry is trying to change that this coming year.:)

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    When traveling across states.The laws of federal are sometimes written in peculiar script.
    But as far as I know,you can carry a weapon anytime your traveling.Just most of them are
    OC and the rest are concealed..I think like 7 states are the only ones that make you conceal..

I can't make heads or tails of that.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Driving to Houston next week. I will be carrying two firearms and one will be in the baggage. Are our two states' laws very different?

Speeding tickets in Texas will destroy you. Small towns, like anywhere else, are to be either avoided, or driven though at 2-3 under the limit. Buy/borrow a good radar detector unless you drive the limit/lower all the time.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    My wife and daughter will be driving some at night. I will not be with them. My only concern is on the highway; once there, they will be in the company of family and also not in risk laden areas.

Oddly I feel safer at night. During the day, 3-5 feet is very acceptable distance from someone standing / walking by you. At night, unless you are in a store or something, that distance is somewhat taboo. It makes a threat stand out a lot sooner as your "personal zone" is a lot bigger.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Driving to Houston next week. I will be carrying two firearms and one will be in the baggage. Are our two states' laws very different?

First of all, if you get pulled over by Texas State Police, DO NOT MAKE FUN OF THEIR HATS! NO! They do not think that's funny and they will give me a difficult time. Uh, I meant YOU a difficult time. Ahem... uh... I'm also pretty sure they may ask why you feel you need two guns, but no matter what answer I gave them, they never liked it. They never confiscated any of my guns, either.

So, I guess the only thing I can say is... be nice. I guess.

Whereabouts in Houston you goin'?

I.B. Pimpin

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    You can carry a concealed weapon IN YOUR VEHICLE WITHOUT a CHL. You can even carry it on your hip in a holster. Just make sure it is concealed.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person
    intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
    her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the
    person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle
    that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person
    intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
    her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
    or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a
    Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance
    regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
    or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as
    defined by Section 71.01.
    (a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes
    real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as
    living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or
    permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor
    vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a
    vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to
    be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer,
    camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with
    living quarters.

Shikkapow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Lake Charles
    This is how it goes..I drive to Texas daily..

If your in La..open carry,make sure gun is visible..

When in Texas , You may carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle only if it is concealed.

I remove mine from holster when I cross state line and put under seat or pouch....

The seven states I believe are ,,Texas,,Utah,Vermont,Virgina ,Washington,W.Virgina,New york

I could be wrong on some of the states.I'm just going by memory...

But Gov Perry is trying to change that this coming year.:)

kind of yes, no and convoluted information.

Louisiana you can carry concealed,w/o a permit

in Texas you can carry in your vehicle, but it MUST be concealed without a permit. it doesnt matter if you are a TX resident or not.

if you are screwing around with your firearm every time you drive across the state line you are only asking for trouble. drop it in the door panel and forget about it.

I have a VA CCW permit and luckily it crosses into LA and TX, but I did a ton of research because we have friends in TX and my wife goes back and forth and unfortunately sh had to get a LA Drivers license. we didnt want to go through all the hoops for her to get the LA permit, but she wanted something in the car and I did all the research a while back.

the comment "When traveling across states.The laws of federal are sometimes written in peculiar script." makes no sense. :eh:
    and I know for a fact that two of your states are dead wrong on how you carry in your vehicle w/o a permit.

to the OP
    check with each state when you travel through them to ensure you are in compliance with the STATE law. fed law allows you to bring firearms state to state and is silent on how you carry them (NFA firearms excluded) because they defer to the particular state laws as it should be. each state is different and sometimes confusing as hell.

in short, if you are going from LA to TX, load the firearm, conceal it, disclose to an officer that you are carrying if you get stopped (required in LA, good idea in TX) , and go about your business. and leave it in your car if you are wandering around public places during the road trip.

Last edited:

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    Uhh I dont think so ,You can not conceal a weapon on your persons, without a CCW.

And no one is screwing with anything lol..

As I stated about the 7 states.That was from memory and I could be wrong.You state some one has given the wrong
    information,but yet you do not clarify what is the correct information.What is the point of that.

DO NOT give any information about anything that is not asked of you.Yea.incriminate yourself.That is just ignorance of
    procedures.

Then you state this "fed law allows you to bring firearms state to state and is silent on how you carry them"
    Yet you say, that when I said it,it did not make sense lol..Fed trumps state...

All that talk and yet ,you said nothing more than what I had stated.But yet you took the time to say what I
    had written was incorrect information.

Too funny....

Last edited:

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Uhh I dont think so ,You can not conceal a weapon on your persons, without a CCW.

And again.The gun needs to be visible if in a vehicle in La.

And no one is screwing with anything lol..

As I stated about the 7 states.That was from memory and I could be wrong.You state some one has given the wrong
    information,but yet you do not clarify what is the correct information.What is the point of that.

DO NOT give any information about anything that is not asked of you.Yea.incriminate yourself.That is just ignorance of
    procedures.

My attorneys would have a field day with you lol...

Then you state this "fed law allows you to bring firearms state to state and is silent on how you carry them"
    Yet you say, that when I said it,it did not make sense lol..Fed trumps state...

All that talk and yet ,you said nothing more than what I had stated.But yet you took the time to say what I
    had written was incorrect information.

Too funny....

Sorry man, but you are mistaken. Gun may be kept anywhere in your vehicle, concealed or not, with or without a permit. I would recommend having a permit if carrying on your person.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    I retracted that.You are correct 11Bravo.

But Shikkapow's comment said carry concealed.Too me that indicates
    Carry as in on your persons or with you.I would consider in a vehicle
    as you stated,as an extension of your home and not as carrying it,but
    more of having it,as you would in your home.

Its like a twist of words,all depends on what you say and how it is
    taken I guess.....

Enjoy your trip in Houston dominick2417...Fun Town :)

Last edited:

Shikkapow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Lake Charles
    the OP asked if he could carry in the vehicle concealed. I stated yes, and if you read what I posted, I said, drop it in the door panel (unless you have a door panel stitched into your pants) you are good to go. I see your point about what I said "in LA you can carry concealed w/o a permit", I should have added "while in your car"

and clarifying your post would have taken an hour and dragged to topic off of what the OP wanted "can I carry in my car into Texas" the answer remains: "put it in the door panel, and if you wander out of your vehicle, leave it in the car"

as for as your "laws of federal are written in funny script" still makes no sense. not that I am disputing you, I just dont understand what you are saying. Federal law is silent on CCW, they leave it to the states.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The one to remember IF you do have a CHP, keep in mind we in LOUISIANA do NOT have a Brandishing law but Texas does, and they enforce it as well so make sure its 100% concealed if you dont want any issues.

As far as vehicle carry, I believe that question has already been answered here, just make sure if you or your wife gets pulled over to inform the Officer of it ASAP, Highway Patrol over there is a Special Breed and they dont mind making you aware of it.

Top Bottom