Headed to Texas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruder89

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Covington
    I'm headed to Houston and never had a chance to check into the laws. I know open carry and a pistol in your car is legal in Louisiana but am I ok in Texas with my gun in my truck.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    If you have a CHL, make sure you aren't printing. I've gotten into some hot water over that. If you get pulled over, let officer know you have a "licenses concealed handgun".

If keeping gun in vehicle, make sure its hidden, such as glove box or between seats or something.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Don't quote me on this, but it's my understanding that in TexaS open carry is open, and concealed means nobody can ever see it or tell it's there EVER

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Be sure and use your turn signal when making a lane change..... Texas Highway Patrol are looking for any reason to pull you over and look in your vehicle. DO NOT carry a handgun in your vehicle where it is visable. :nono:

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    You'll be "travelling" in the eyes of the law (out of state plate), so you'll be fine with a weapon in the car.

Yes, open carry is not legal, reciprocity with your LA CCW makes CC fine to do so without a skosh of printing.

You can keep it loaded in the car...so long as it's not visable. Here's the funny part. You can leave it on the dash, hung off of the rear view mirror, shoved between the seat and console, or right on top of the passenger seat- all with just a napkin or a towel placed over the offensive device is all that is required to make it not visable/hidden/concealed from the outside looking in.

Dirty

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Please see previous threads on this subject.

Open Carry of handguns in public is mostly illegal in Texas.

You can have a handgun in your vehicle, home, own property, luggage, hotel, or while hunting/trapping/fishing, etc.; CHL or no.

Your LA concealed permit is good in Texas, rules similar to here; except, no requirement to notify homeowner. There is a legal posting of off-limits, requiring large red & white signs at every entrance; this is used in bars, hospitals, etc.

That said, I have been assured my numerous LEO's that the Harris County DA will not accept any charges against non-criminal carriers for making "mistakes"; especially licensed out-or-state visitors.

The Texas DPS website has good explanations in a special section.

One can legally carry a long-gun almost anywhere, except federally-prohibited places. Just don't be stupid. Don't try to enter a hospital, school, or post office with your AK.

If stopped, it is a good idea to tell officer that you have a gun or are carrying concealed. The police procedures are practically the same as here. They are extremely unlikely to take weapon, dis-assemble, or unload it.

Don't carry drunk, either; same limits as for DUI.

Texas, and, especially Harris County is armed-citizen friendly. When I have told an officer that I was armed, most ignored it. One did tell me to put weapon in console until released from traffic stop.

leVieux

Top Bottom