Heat shield

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1funvet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Westlake LA
    I just bought a Mossberg 500 Persuader, and was thinking about putting a heat shield on it. Is it worth it?
    If so, metal or synthetic ?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I have a 500 with a factory installed shield and a 590A1 without. I really cant tell if there is any "heat protection" though. :dunno: I just never bothered to take it off the 500.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    If you do go with one make sure its a factory shield and fits tight. I've never had or seen it happen (mine was factory installed) but I have heard about them coming loose and locking up the action. As I said, I dont notice any difference in heat either way.

Last edited:

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    To answer the original question. If you want one if for no other reason than you think it is cool, go for it. Thats the joy of still having the ability to do some stuff " Just Because" . From a functional standpoint I don't see it being needed in any application a civilian would ever need.. I had one on my 590a1 since it came with one when I bought it, and it did look pretty cool.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Oh, I get that he was poking fun at me; no drama there.

I just don't "get" the significance of the joke... ;)

I wasn't poking fun at you. I was pointing out that what you said could answer 90% of the "gun accessory" questions out there by simply replacing a few key words.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I wasn't poking fun at you. I was pointing out that what you said could answer 90% of the "gun accessory" questions out there by simply replacing a few key words.

That's how I understood it.

Basically, it sums up: Quad rails, non-military flash hiders, stainless guide rods, everything made by Magpul or Tapco, single point slings, etc. The worst offenders are people who modify a gun before they even shoot it.

Reminds me of a member on here who bought a Glock 34, and spent big bucks getting a custom trigger and barrel. He ended up not being able to hit a barn with the gun, and had multiple AD's because the trigger was WAYYY too light. I think he ended up selling it and took a $3-400 hit on it...

Why fix a problem that doesn't exist?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom