Hello from the bestbank-best home defense handgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nofd1977

Nofd
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    New orleans
    What's up fellas, just found this great website and wanted to say hi before jumping right in. Names Adam and I am currently living on the westbank. I am also on the lookout for a nice home defense handgun. Wanted to see if y'all could tell me what the latest and greatest is available now. Best bang for the buck never hurts either for someone on a budget. Anyway thanks for having me

CMorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    Chances are you will get 30 different answers from 30 different people. When I bought my first gun I wrote down all the features I wanted then looked at all the brands/models that offered them. The trick with any firearm is practice. If you train with a gun to the point where you know that firearm inside and out it's the perfect one for the worst scenario.

I for one like my Glock 32.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Be honest with yourself, have you shot handguns before? If it's only one or two times with grandpa's .22 twenty years ago than the answer should be no. If the answer is no, take a basic handgun course to familiarize yourself with the general workings. Most frequently if you're nice and respectful the instructors will be able to let borrow or rent a handgun for their course.

If the answer to handgun usage question was yes than continue below. :)

Decide your budget first.

Then try if possible to shoot several of the handguns in that budget. Not all handguns fit everyone well. For example I've owned 3 GLOCKs and never was able to shoot them as well as others who borrowed them. for semiautomatics I shoot Sig Sauers and CZ styles much better. Your mileage may vary. Now I'm not saying GLOCK is bad and Sig is better. Sig just happens to fit my hands better.

Revolver or Semiautomatic.

Stay with the normal defensive handgun calibers. If you not sure sure what those are than see what most police agencies and military forces are carrying. 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 acp, 38 special are the most basic four that are in the most common usage.

Dave

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Good advice DWR. If you are familiar with shooting than the main issue is you budget and what shoots best in your hands. I, like many here have shot many makes/designs and we usually settle for what is most comfortable and accurate within the constrains of the budget. For me, I settled on the CZ75 platform and its variants. Never did like the grip angle on the Glocks--just didn't feel right but again thats just me. Spend time handling and shooting stuff if possible before spending any money. After you decide what you want, you can probably get it here on BS as theres always stuff coming up for sale from great people.

Also, welcome aboard from a former BestBanker!

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Something reliable, and durable.
    Something with a high capacity (10+) magazine.
    Something striker-fired, so you only have one trigger pull to worry about.
    Something you will enjoy practicing/training with (or at least not hate).
    Something with a weapon light mounted to it.
    Something that is reasonably "comfortable" in your hand.
    Something in 9mm.

In that order.

NOT a pocket pistol.
    NOT a flippy or recoil-heavy gun that you can't control.
    NOT a piddly caliber that won't give you adequate penetration (and NOT something with "Safety Slug" or ratshot loaded in it).
    NOT a 1911.
    NOT a freakin' Highpoint, Jennings, etc.

You can violate certain rules here and there and pass them off as "preference" (though people who know what they're talking about will probably just nod and smile); you can train around some of the things that will really just make your life more difficult (DAO or DA/SA pull, recoil-heavy calibers, "compact" guns, etc.). But really, if you stick to those parameters, you'll be better prepared than most folks if the awful need to protect you and yours ever happens.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    The best advice I can give is to try different guns and see what is the most comfortable to handle and shoot. One of the best bang for the buck, can be police trade-ins. A commonly found revolver, such as a S&W model 10 is both simple and reliable. Good luck. Dave

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    What's up fellas, just found this great website and wanted to say hi before jumping right in. Names Adam and I am currently living on the westbank. I am also on the lookout for a nice home defense handgun. Wanted to see if y'all could tell me what the latest and greatest is available now. Best bang for the buck never hurts either for someone on a budget. Anyway thanks for having me

Welcome.

"Best" home defense handgun is a matter of preference. I like a 357 Revolver, you can shoot 38 specials in it if you want, but you have the option.
    My reasons are because of its simplicity, and the ability to use it 1 handed. (Auto's require 2 hands or a lot of practice to get a second shot off if you have a misfire) Also revolvers are less likely to jam. What ever you get, Shoot it a lot until you are confident with it, then learn to shoot it with your other hand.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Welcome.

"Best" home defense handgun is a matter of preference. I like a 357 Revolver, you can shoot 38 specials in it if you want, but you have the option.
    My reasons are because of its simplicity, and the ability to use it 1 handed. (Auto's require 2 hands or a lot of practice to get a second shot off if you have a misfire) Also revolvers are less likely to jam. What ever you get, Shoot it a lot until you are confident with it, then learn to shoot it with your other hand.

What have they changed on semi auto's that now requires two hands to shoot?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    :wtc:
    What have they changed on semi auto's that now requires two hands to shoot?

Nothing just a little biased on the revolver. I think he was attempting to explain something. That you can perhaps operate a revolver more easily one handed. With training all guns can be operated one handedly training being the keyword on that.

Just do as dwr stated you can get too caught up on all of the opinions and options out there training is more crucial than the firearm.

Someone once said on this site (something to this extent) the cheap hammer you use everyday and have the most experience with works better for you than a high quality hammer you bought just to have. Take from that what you will it will help you put things in perspective like it did for me.

Last edited:

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    im partial to my G19 w/ a TLR1 and some good hollow pernts simply because it fits my hand well and it naturally points and shoots well for me. if a m&p would have done the same then i would have gone with that. and i also personally dont like having to mess with safeties on a defense gun

but yes, you will get a ton of different answers

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    The best is the one you practice with. I suggest looking, and holding as many guns in your hand as you possibly can. Why? Because I found that if I don't like the way they feel, I'm less likely to take them to the range and practice with. My Sig P226 is the favorite of all my handguns, but my wife likes it as her defense gun. I wouldn't mind using my 1911s as defense guns, but the fact of the matter remains that my Glock 19 is set up best for a defensive gun since I have a light mounted on it and has night sights.

Of course, with all that said, I prefer a carbine rifle over a handgun if my life is on the line and I have to defend a position. While it is a personal preference, I just have the feeling that a rifle round will cause more trauma and take the "fight" out of an attacker more effectively than a handgun. Going further, the most trauma may be needed in some instances because who knows what an attacker in your home will be under the influence of.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You have to work the slide. Granted you can learn to do it with one hand, but it takes practice.

If you keep one chambered you don't, unless we are talking malfunctions or reloads, either of which are easier to deal with working with an auto.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom