help!!!! Colt Target Match HBAR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maysen

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Luling, LA
    looking at my first AR. an "associate" of mine has a post pan Target Match HBAR wiht a2 sights w/ detachable carry handle, 20" heavy bbl, 1 factory mag and 2 pmags. we haven't settled on a price as he is not really interested in selling but is willing to because i'm interested. question is, what is a good price for this gun, i've seen ranges all over the internet from $1500 to $3000 for this rifle. none marked weather or not it's pre-ban. this one i know is post pan. i feel i may be able to get this rifle for around $1000 give or take a hundred. he will most likely give me ammo as well. considering the supplie and demand for AR's right now, do any of you think i should jump on this? help me pull the trigger guys.

thanks
    Mark

maysen

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Luling, LA
    Thanks guys who offered up their opinions..

Nickatnight, do you think it makes you cool to point out grammatical errors in a short-handed, informal posting forum? Where people congregate for informational and entertaining purposes. More so, to just make friends with those who share like interests. Apparently, the most important life building lessons you've learned in your extensive collegiate endeavors was to be a complete HORSE'S ASS!!! Your daddy must be proud of what he paid for you to learn. Now, I'd like to politely ask you to not troll my posts again. Thank you.

Quickdraw, you may now redirect your "own3d" sign. Thank you.

What is "post pan"?
    first of all, this is insane, your grammar suggests that "post pan" is a physical object. The correct way to ask this would have been "what does post pan mean"

Maybe you should take that 1,000 and go back to college and take some grammar classes or English 101... This is a serious run on sentencing. Seriously, "and used twice followed by the use of "or".

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Nickatnight, do you think it makes you cool to point out grammatical errors in a short-handed, informal posting forum? yes
    Where people congregate for informational and entertaining purposes. More so, to just make friends with those who share like interests. Apparently, the most important life building lessons you've learned in your extensive collegiate endeavors was to be a complete HORSE'S ASS!!! Not a horses ass, more of a "realist" here. Also trying to point out that you really don't what is going on. The "p" key and the "b" key are pretty far apart on the keyboard.
    Your daddy must be proud of what he paid for you to learn. My father did not pay for my college education, I paid for everything on my own...
    Now, I'd like to politely ask you to not troll my posts again. Thank you.

Quickdraw, you may now redirect your "own3d" sign. Thank you.

Now, to give you some "worthy" information. Your Colt that you are looking at might be a "pre-ban" rifle. Colt did do some goofy things in regards to rifles during that period. Green label and blue labels boxes quickly comes to mind, funky uppers with a thick stainless barrel that looks nothing like a standard AR upper, so there was no telltale flash suppressor/bayonet lugs and trigger blocks. I am not *the*Colt*expert* here; however, it would be worthy to call Colt and see, unless you friend has a bill of sale where it was bought new after the ban started.
    For instance:
    CH Competition HBAR model 6700
    s/n CH019500 and Below are pre-ban
    You need the guns model number and Serial number.
    1-800-962-colt

Last edited:

maysen

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Luling, LA
    My point is, you still don't have to come on here and be a prick. Second, its just a "p" and a "b", you still new what i meant.

The rifle was bought new right after the Clinton ban was lifted. He does not have the original box, but it is in the metal case that it came in (he said it came with the rifle, don't know if that's from colt or a vendor special or what) I didn't record the serial number, but the "CH" prefix doesn't sound familiar at all. I'm thinkin off going today or tomorrow and show him the cash. I made my offer and he said he would think about it. But money talks right. The rifle is also still listed on the colt website so u assume its still being manufactured...

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    My point is, you still don't have to come on here and be a prick. Second, its just a "p" and a "b", you still new what i meant.

The rifle was bought new right after the Clinton ban was lifted. He does not have the original box, but it is in the metal case that it came in (he said it came with the rifle, don't know if that's from colt or a vendor special or what) I didn't record the serial number, but the "CH" prefix doesn't sound familiar at all. I'm thinkin off going today or tomorrow and show him the cash. I made my offer and he said he would think about it. But money talks right. The rifle is also still listed on the colt website so u assume its still being manufactured...

It's definitely worth a grand at minimum.

Like I said, Colt did some funky things around that time, so it's worth a look.
    If it's not a CH, it could be one of the following:
    MH Match HBAR 6601 s/n MH086020 and Below are pre-ban
    ML Match Lightweight R6530
    MT Match Target

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    This thread doesn't exactly make me miss my years as a charter member of ar15.com...

Yes, $1,000 is a good starting point for a Colt Match HBar. If it is an original, the serial # should have an "MT" prefix. Before all this pricing hooliganism $1,250-1,400 would have been a reasonable price (but then again, $9.00 30 round mags were reasonable, too).

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    If you haven't bought this rifle yet, I'm not sure what your waiting for??? Tell me how to get in touch with the guy and I may buy it..

maysen

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Luling, LA
    serial number is "CCH". barral markings are "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR" between the front sight and muzzle. i picked it up. didn't realize he had 8 more mags plus approx. 400 rounds winchester/remington... all together 10 Thermold mags plus 1 original colt mag. we settled at $1400.

i feel satisfied..

maysen

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Luling, LA
    now, if anyone is interested, i'll sell just the rifle for $2500 and the ammo for $5 a round and the mags for $35 each. :dogkeke:

if won't fit in my small ass gun cabinet, so it's gotta go!! lmao, j/k

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Are Colt AR's brand specific when it comes to replacement parts? Or are all AR manufacturer parts compatible with Colt? Thanks.

maysen

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Luling, LA
    i've read a few posts that some are brand specific but there are still aftermarket parts that will adapt. i'm not an expert nor have i ever built, but from what i've read, it's still pretty easy to modify/upgrade 'em. nickatnite might now more. Nick are you still watching this?

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    serial number is "CCH". barral markings are "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR" between the front sight and muzzle. i picked it up. didn't realize he had 8 more mags plus approx. 400 rounds winchester/remington... all together 10 Thermold mags plus 1 original colt mag. we settled at $1400.

i feel satisfied..

Grasshoppa,
    good score. Based off of what you listed, here is what you should have:
    Serial number prefix: CH
    Model name: Competition HBAR
    Sample model: 6700

If your serial number is CH019500 and Below, it is possibly a pre-ban.
    If your serial number is CCH010000 and Above - Post Ban MT6700, MT6700C and MT6700CH series, 1998 production

barrel markings are "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR"
    Looks like this?
    cmp_556_nato_19_hbar.jpg

Barrel Stamping Methodology
    Manufacturer
    C = Colt
    Quality Control
    MP = Magnetic Particle Tested
    Caliber
    5.56 NATO
    Barrel Twist
    1/9 = Rifling
    MISC
    HBAR = HBAR Barrel Profile

Rifling, the 1/9 bbl twist = 1/9 = Rifling in the barrel twists clockwise, with any one groove making a complete revolution every nine (9) inches (229 mm).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom